Newcastle United vs. Southampton: 30/04/23 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

:lol:

I didn't explain it all that well like. I still think we'll win, just think it might be a closer, grind it out 2-1 job this time. Of all the games we've had lately this is the one you'd expect to rattle in 4, 5 or 6 the most so it might be subverted I think, that's all.

You never know in football, it’s why the game has to be played. However no matter how Southampton set up, either for the low block, or to attack, they don’t seem to be able to keep goals out. It was only a week ago when they almost lost a game when they were 3-1 up in the 88th minute.

I look at this Southampton side and I don’t see where they are even going to get a draw from. You look at their fixtures, and even in games they have with teams around them, you think that’s the game the other team is going to gain safety in, just like Bournemouth did last night.

I actually think Targett starts again and Isak and Murphy come back in but it's anyone's guess. 

Quite frankly we could play kermit the frog in a Newcastle shirt and he'd likely play a blinder, so fuck knows if it matters. [emoji38]

We shouldn't be complacent. Southampton did draw against Arsenal last week.

You have to say, if we come out the traps like against Spurs. The game could be over by half time.

Right now, you can't see us not getting a couple of goals. Can Southampton score a couple?

7 minutes ago, STM said:

We shouldn't be complacent. Southampton did draw against Arsenal last week.

You have to say, if we come out the traps like against Spurs. The game could be over by half time.

Right now, you can't see us not getting a couple of goals. Can Southampton score a couple?

Scored 3 against Spurs and Arsenal.

Edited by JUICE690

57 minutes ago, Stifler said:

ASM is out for the season.

No he’s not? Howe said this morning he’s out of the next game but has a chance for the following and should be fit well before the end of the season. 

Can't look too much into this lot scoring 3 against Spurs and Aresnal recently. They've lost to Bournemouth, City and Palace amongst that. 

The Aresnal result is impressive at first glance but the goober have been really off their game in the last month and have now actually conceded MORE than Chelsea this season.

If they get anything at all against us it will be one of their best results of the season. 

Should be a comfortable win, hopefully the kick-off time & opposition don't have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere - SJP should be rocking and rightly so, but we (fans) have history of being a bit passive when we're expected to win.

Atmosphere like Man Utd/Spurs and this lot will buckle. They got a cracking result at Arsenal so shouldn't be underestimated, but let's not pretend Arsenal couldn't have scored a few more (and they were gifted their first goal, although a cracking finish).

No set-pieces around the box for them either.

An early goal and they'll crumble - they need to win. A point does fuck all for them. That should suit us down to the ground.

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Will be an interesting game since we've played them 3 times already this season. Who has learnt the most from our previous meetings?

They will have had 3 different managers in 4 of the games mind.

I never go into a game thinking we'll hammer someone and I'm no different here. But I don't expect us to drop points because we're in great form, look irresistible at home and we've already beaten them three times this season.

However, they have absolutely no choice but to start getting points on the board, meanwhile we didn't have everything our own way in the cup semi; we were lucky that ball clipped off Armstrong's hand in the first leg and we lost our way a bit after all but killing the tie at home. They're gonna be fighting for everything. 

We've got this incredible ability at the moment to push back an opponent's forehead while they're swinging at thin air; last night being the greatest example of it where Everton huffed and puffed but were ruthlessly dispatched by clinical finishing. For that reason alone I can't see us dropping points, even if it's a 1-0 or 2-1 rather than something more comfortable.