Newcastle United vs. Arsenal: 07/05/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't even think a defeat changes much. Leeds and Leicester should be our two wins, Brighton the draw. 

I just think a point is the early safety net for one ropey performance and also psychologically the league table when up against Man Utd and maintaining a bit of an unbeaten run.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, to be fair though Leicester started to crumble a lot sooner than this. I believe the gap was down to about four points at this stage when Liverpool chased them down.

It is frustrating they've benefitted from a number of very fortunate decisions of late though. Keep defending like they have of late and they'll be out of contention before long.

Can you imagine the first time we're on contention for a title? It'll make this seem like a stroll in the park.

They possibly had a cup distraction one year but just got a funny feeling about Liverpool winning all their games by simply out scoring them now that their forward line has returned.

Ive noted they play Leicester away before we play them at home so hoping that’s if anywhere they drop points now that the home fans have the clappers back out. Oddly fear Liverpool catching up more than Man Utd staying in the top 4 if they navigate Leicester and Brighton beat Man Utd so maybe they will take their place and not ours 🤞🏻🙂

Imagine? I remember 95/96 still not to need too 😆

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

They possibly had a cup distraction one year but just got a funny feeling about Liverpool winning all their games by simply out scoring them now that their forward line has returned.

Ive noted they play Leicester away before we play them at home so hoping that’s if anywhere they drop points now that the home fans have the clappers back out. Oddly fear Liverpool catching up more than Man Utd staying in the top 4 if they navigate Leicester and Brighton beat Man Utd so maybe they will take their place and not ours 🤞🏻🙂

I think it's a possibility that Liverpool win all of their games, but an unlikely one. Still though, we need to take care of business in case the worst happens. I think we will though.

Thankfully I was bit young to fully comprehend 95/96, ignorance is bliss and all that.

Losing this doesn't matter too much, but winning it would be a massive boost. I hope that means we set up to try and batter them in the first 30 minutes - as others have pointed out, they're on a rough run and are psychologically vulnerable so we could shut them down early.

Another way of looking at it is that we drew our last meeting, away, when their team was better and ours was worse than now, and in that game we adjusted to getting battered in the first 20. Now we're on a good run, they're on a bad one, we're at home, and winning will feel like a big prize. I'm hopeful - weird feeling. Think it'll be 2-1.

I think our lads like the big match feel. 

Seems to have raised their levels like in the City home game, spurs away, Chelsea home, man utd home and then most recent the spurs home. 

In some ways we struggle more in games like the weekend where we look a little passive and not quite sharp.

So hopefully we will be at our best and Arsenal have an off day.

41 minutes ago, geordiemag said:

HEADLINES!

Newcastle end Arsenal's title bid!! 

Newcastle wreck Arsenals season for the second season in a row

Lightning strikes twice at St James' Park

Any headlines from this weekends games will 100% be Coronation/Royalty  related.  

"Royal Rumble at St James's Park as Aresnal abdicate title bid with 3-0 loss"

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Any headlines from this weekends games will 100% be Coronation/Royalty  related.  

"Royal Rumble at St James's Park as Aresnal abdicate title bid with 3-0 loss"

Ha ha, I like it!!

13 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Man City made hard work of it yesterday like, LiVARpool still can’t defend for toffee either. Shame Mitro isn’t back in tbh

Man City don’t have the refs handing them game after game 

Could really do with Saka and Partey to get injured/suspended tonight as take them 2 out (plus Saliba who may already be out) and these are vulnerable.

Saying that the people I worry about the most are the Ref and the VAR official. If we are going to win it needs to be like Man U or Spurs where we are so dominant they can’t influence the game. 

Id take a draw all things considered 

11 hours ago, LFEE said:

Just concerned there’s one last twist in the (fairy)tail…

The last twist is that Citeh and Arsenal lose their remaining games and we go on to win the league

10 hours ago, LFEE said:

For context we took 11 out of the last 15 points available in 95/96. There was no great collapse at the end, despite the narrative that tends to be pushed.

There's also the chance that we ruined their top 4 challenge last year so they could ruin our.....nah not gonna say it.

Plus, ofcourse, we can afford to lose this game worst case scenario. Just can't let it affect the Leeds game. 

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

There's also the chance that we ruined their top 4 challenge last year so they could ruin our.....nah not gonna say it.

Plus, ofcourse, we can afford to lose this game worst case scenario. Just can't let it affect the Leeds game. 

Big Sam might have a say in the Leeds game! :yao:

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think we'll overtake Arsenal next season tbh. Liverpool will return to the top 3, Arsenal will drop out. 

Fairly bold prediction about Arsenal, given they’ve got a really young team. I think they’re staying around for a long time 

"Referee: Chris Kavanagh - second appointment of the season involving us for the Greater Manchester official, following the 2-1 victory at Brentford."

someone vision GIF

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think we'll overtake Arsenal next season tbh. Liverpool will return to the top 3, Arsenal will drop out. 

It’ll be much harder for Liverpool if they don’t get top four though in terms of recruitment. I agree though they’ll definitely come back strong next season. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

On Arteta saying Steve Bruce being one of the most important managers that England has had in the last 100 years.” 

"....and when you do things like that about a man like Steve Bruce, I've kept really quiet, but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that," 

On Klopp attacking Paul Tierney after Liverpool's win against Spurs,

"We have not resorted to that, but I'll tell you, you can tell him now if you're watching it, we're still fighting for the Top 4, and he's got to play Fulham and Brentford and get something, and... and... I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them, love it!" 

Think it's not as easy as it seems for Liverpool. Fulham and Brentford, though may not have much to play for (Brentford can still make Europe next season), are no pushovers. Won't be surprised if they don't get 6 points as many have predicted.  They got lucky against Spurs, West Ham, even against Forest, and beat a pathetic Leeds. They started badly against Arsenal too.

If they drop points in any of those 2 games, we'll be right up and ready to go against Arsenal even more.

Edited by nufcjb

Why am I so nervous when I think about this game?. We don't even have to win it technically but I just have this horrible fear of losing and then going to Leeds and also somehow losing and then going into the last 3 needing two wins 😬.

Just think they have strong players all over the pitch and it's gonna be a tough game even if they are bit downbeat.