Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 13/05/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, GWN said:

I've seen over the weekend to expect an incredible fight from the relegation threatened teams . Not a great time to play them tbh 

It can be a double edged sword. Some teams fight and show great determination, others are low on confidence and give up easily (we've seen both down the years).

We've just played Everton and Southampton. We played Norwich and Burnley right at the back of last season too. I'm sure we'll be prepared and know exactly what to  expect. 

Liverpool will be in the same boat too.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It'll be interesting to see how Leeds set up. Against City, it was the lowest of low blocks with all hands to the pump. City sliced through it at will. You'd think here Allardyce will need to utilise the crowd. We're not the fastest of starters on the road and turning the ball over to us from off might make for a nervy atmosphere.

At West Brom, it was usually 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 and they took some absolute hidings in his earlier games, including heavy home defeats to Villa, Leeds, Arsenal and City. Based on this, I think he'll go more or less the same, but potentially try to be a bit more adventurous on the break by utilising pace over the top from his signature "long passes". On their day, Harrison and Gnonto can be a handful.  

If they set up as expected the burden will be on us to break them down. We'll have lots of the ball and based on the City game we'll get plenty of dangerous set piece opportunities. Both Isak and Wilson starting might not be the worst thing for this one, though without Longstaff the balance of the midfield might be an issue again. 

It does feel incredibly similar to the game at Goodison Park. Score first and I think we'll run out comfortable winners, but if they get momentum it could get a bit nervy. Overall though, I think we'll have a bit too much quality for them:  1-3. 

If he tries Bamford as a target man again he's off his rocker. We'll mop that up all day long. Ayling and Firpo are awful defenders as well so we should get plenty of joy down the sides.

It's not an easy decision but I think I'd stick with Isak and Wilson. Against the weaker teams lately we've started badly with one on the bench and then mauled teams with them both on the pitch. Arsenal are not only far better opponents than Leeds, but play a very different way. Leeds have conceded 69, the worst in the league, and I think this game will be a case of whether or not we put away our chances.

Edited by ohmelads

8 minutes ago, Displayname said:

3 games in 9 days now so I dont mind if we rest either Isak or Wilson for this. Maybe ASM could be ready for a start, he looked good against Arsenal I thought.

Howe felt he could only manager 15 minutes tops v Arsenal so this might be a bit soon. 

18 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Please just fucking win. Think I'll cry if that oaf gets one over us.

What would count as one over us? Would a draw be considered that?

From our POV a point would feel like a failure at the stage.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

What would count as one over us? Would a draw be considered that?

From our POV a point would feel like a failure at the stage.

Feels like must-win to me. We need 2 wins to be certain, not sure I could handle the stress of still needing 2 wins from 3.

All logic suggests this should be an easy win. Of course there is the hippo heed factor to consider but they've got to go for a win really after yesterdays results, so we should get enough chances.

8 hours ago, SiLvOR said:

Can't believe this is so far away still :lol:

Ever since it became "7 points needed" it feels as though there's 72 hours in a single day and we play our games every 3 weeks apart. 

I don’t care too much what team we put out as long as Isak plays as a CF. Isak in general play just makes us so much better and fluid as well as being more unpredictable. We need him involved as much as possible. His ball handling and all round play gets the opposition defensive line to lose their shape.

16 hours ago, Anderson said:

Please just fucking win. Think I'll cry if that oaf gets one over us.

Same here, I took Arsenal defeat fully on the chin, but seeing that fat cunt grinning and gloating if they win would be too much 

11 hours ago, Ikon said:

I don’t care too much what team we put out as long as Isak plays as a CF. Isak in general play just makes us so much better and fluid as well as being more unpredictable. We need him involved as much as possible. His ball handling and all round play gets the opposition defensive line to lose their shape.

Yeah i agree I think this game Isak needs to go back to CF with Wilson an option from the bench again. Isak will torture that defence. Murphy, Almiron, Gordon as options for, the start and probs Saint coming on for last 30. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Pope

Trippier     Schar     Botman    Burn 

Bruno

Anderson

Willock

Murphy                                Joelinton 

Isak

Need to get Joelinton back out wide. Anderson your time has come.

16 hours ago, Anderson said:

Feels like must-win to me. We need 2 wins to be certain, not sure I could handle the stress of still needing 2 wins from 3.

You can never rule out Liverpool going to Southampton and scoring five or six if needed, so if we lose on Saturday there's a fair chance it's going to final day and the stress that brings. A point means we can still finish it at home before then. A win means we're nearly there as I'd fancy us for a win and a point from the two home games, and although I don't want to go to the final day we'd also have that for insurance. Still hoping that Villa can do us a favour at Anfield and reduce the points required.

5 hours ago, STM said:

Pope

Trippier     Schar     Botman    Burn 

Bruno

Anderson

Willock

Murphy                                Joelinton 

Isak

Need to get Joelinton back out wide. Anderson your time has come.

While I agree Joelinton needs to be shifted back out wide Anderson is not best suited to that midfield role. Still think we are desperately short in the middle of midfield when we have an injury or two.