Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

Is there a single thing that didn’t go to plan for us this season? Either our players had redemption arcs en masse or our best players played at their limit, or in the cases of Wood and Shelvey we managed to pawn them off for well above their market value. It was just a completely absurd season, especially when you consider how thin our squad was. Has there been a thinner squad that’s gotten champions league football? At least in the last 15 years?

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Is there a single thing that didn’t go to plan for us this season? Either our players had redemption arcs en masse or our best players played at their limit, or in the cases of Wood and Shelvey we managed to pawn them off for well above their market value. It was just a completely absurd season, especially when you consider how thin our squad was. Has there been a thinner squad that’s gotten champions league football? At least in the last 15 years?

Leicester. 

Just now, Dr. TC said:

Leicester. 

Fair enough, I can’t remember their whole squad. N’golo Kante, Mahrez and arguably Vardy were all world class that season. Drinkwater was fantastic. Just looked at their squad again, Danny Simpson, that wins the argument for Leicester without having to look at any other players

When the premier fixtures came out last summer - I looked to the last game and thought "hope we don't go to Chelsea last game and need something to stay up" (natural pessimism from somebody who's supported the team for 45 years).....2 weeks ago I was thinking "hope we don't go to Chelsea last game still needing something to get into the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!" - Holy feck, what a season.

Edited by Bally21
spelling

I'm already stressing about getting tickets for next year's Champions League games. Ironically away games will be more accessible as I'll just use my dad's season ticket with over 160 points on it but home games are going to be chaotic.

This stadium expansion needs to happen, and needs to happen fast. Whatever size it goes to still won't be anywhere near enough but it will make things marginally easier.

The chances are with us being in pot 4, that we'll get 1 "super club" in our group and another very big club. Personally I'd love Real Madrid. Never seen us play them before and a trip out there would be unreal. I assume the Bernabeu would be fully completed by then as well. I think we'd take 10k+ there regardless of allocation.

Just so excited man!

Just take a second to remind yourselves of the absolute fucking bullshit we've been through in recent times, and compare that to how amazing this feels. 15 years of Mike Ashley, two relegations, Joe Fucking Kinnear (twice!), Alan Pardew, Steve McCLaren, John Carver, Charnley, Steve Bruce. Remember all those horrible, condecending "interviews" with Ashley and his cronies. Fucking hell do we deserve this, we've all been through the absolute fucking worst of the worst, and to come out on the other side with Champions League football only 18 months later, man it's absolutely fucking incredible.

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

Anybody else starting working through various possibilities on SkyScanner? 😂

Been working out where I’d most like to go given likely group permutations and have about five different variants on the go. 

Think Portuguese team, German team, Ukrainian (assuming played in Poland)/Austrian/Swiss team is the ideal for yuge away days.

Just now, Disco said:

Been working out where I’d most like to go given likely group permutations and have about five different variants on the go. 

Think Portuguese team, German team, Ukrainian (assuming played in Poland)/Austrian/Swiss team is the ideal for yuge away days.

Is that the craic with Ukrainian teams? Hadn’t really paid attention to that this season. What’s the fan situation there? Are they getting many ‘home’ fans, and still the normal restrictions on the number of away fans?

Don’t think I’d fancy a half empty stadium like.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

image.thumb.png.2f52d4f74eff1d8b82279084b5bca689.png

I'll take PSG from Pot 1, Real Madrid from Pot 2, and AC Milan from Pot 3, please.

I'd also settle for Feyenoord, Porto, and Red Star, like.

Seville would be nice, only a bus ride away from the Algarve airport, could coincide with a holiday for some people.

Fayenoord would be good for the nostalgia, and I would think that they will be the weakest team in Pot 1.

It all depends on if you want glamour over the ability to progress.

Feyenoord/Seville, Leipzig, and Braga for me.

Just now, SteV said:

Is that the craic with Ukrainian teams? Hadn’t really paid attention to that this season. What’s the fan situation there? Are they getting many ‘home’ fans, and still the normal restrictions on the number of away fans?

They can play but have to play their ‘home’ games in Poland.

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Shakhtar played in Warsaw and Kyiv in Krakow. Home fans are just the refugee lasses and kids so not loads.

Was thinking more along the lines of getting a lot of away tickets and being pretty easy to get too for the masses for that one.