Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

PSG, Real Madrid, and then a Red Star/Zagreb/Salzburg from pot 3 would be the dream draw for me. Be expected to get 4-6 points from the lesser side, and test yourself against the very best, teams that we have never faced before, a chance to make some real memories and highlights (like Tino) and if we do fall short, then, instead of likely falling in the L16 should we get through an 'easier' group, have a real crack at the Europa - a chance for more European matches, a more realistic chance of a trophy, a potential final in Dublin, and a potential alternative route back into the CL the following season should we drop to like 6th or 7th in the league.

I'd much rather have that group than say Feyenoord, Leipzig, Zagreb, us and possibly be favourites to get out of it, but all a little bit meh in our first season back in Europe for ages, never mind the the CL. We've also played Barca 4 times out of our 18 CL group matches (and D Kyiv 4 times as well), so I'd prefer to avoid those if we can.

Edited by Paullow

Might be worth mentioning that’s it not absolutely cast iron yet that’ll well be in Pot 4.

All depends on which teams get through the qualifiers. Admittedly, it would take a lot of ‘surprise’ results for 6 teams with a lower coefficient than us to qualify and therefore bump us to Pot 3. 

Looking at some of the teams in the qualifiers and I have to confess to never having even heard of the team that’s won the Polish league. And that’s where I am now, googling information on Rakow Częstochowa, just in case. Eddie Howe has a lot to answer for…

Paddy power have been pretty good about us this season tbf. A lot of the funny stuff I've seen from them has been a positive rather than a negative. VAR room officials saying Joelinton being a fantastic player when mocking the VAR audio from Howard Webb is just 1 example. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Might be worth mentioning that’s it not absolutely cast iron yet that’ll well be in Pot 4.

All depends on which teams get through the qualifiers. Admittedly, it would take a lot of ‘surprise’ results for 6 teams with a lower coefficient than us to qualify and therefore bump us to Pot 3. 

Looking at some of the teams in the qualifiers and I have to confess to never having even heard of the team that’s won the Polish league. And that’s where I am now, googling information on Rakow Częstochowa, just in case. Eddie Howe has a lot to answer for…

Ha, seems highly improbable when looking back at previous seasons and considering there are about 75 clubs with a higher coefficient than ours.

6 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Ha, seems highly improbable when looking back at previous seasons and considering there are about 75 clubs with a higher coefficient than ours.

Oh aye, it won’t happen, just stating that it is a theoretical possibility at present.

If anybody’s up for a bit of nostalgia, if Antwerp beat Union St Gilloise on Sunday that wins them the league and qualifies them direct into the final CL play off round, so they’d be one win away from the group stage.

*although they’d be Pot 4 as well so we couldn’t actually get them.

I'm delighted to see Newcastle back in the Champions League, however, I would support Newcastle more if they got Glasgow Rangers, if they got Glasgow Celtic well............. I'd hope Kyogo Furuhashi and Reo Hetate and Daisan Maeda would give Dan Burns and co a headache............

But deep down, and with possibly West Ham (if they beat Fiorentina) and if Brighton get a point tonight against Man City then 2 clubs getting into European competitions where 9 seasons out of 10 they don't get in.

I think Newcastle will be a real tough team to beat and could in next 3 or 4 years win the Prem

I love the fact we're in pot 4 (at this stage of where we are at, it would be annoying in future years) and searching Newcastle pot 4 on Twitter and seeing a lot of references, plus possible groups like PSG/Barca Real/Bayern Milan Newcastle etc.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Newcastle pot 4&src=typed_query&f=live

We can kind of just enjoy who we get and how it goes, but for pot 2 teams who would fully expect to get out of the group, there would be a huge contrast in some of those teams getting like a Danish / Swiss team in the lowest ranked group instead of a team that's finished at worst 4th in the supposed best league in the world, who will almost certainly strengthen significantly in the summer.