Premiership Keeper Poll

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recently goalkeeper has been a popular talking point in NO. So I thought I would make this poll to see what the general consensus is like here.

It is hard to compare players - shall we compare their current forms (Cech, Cudicini, Dudek, Sorensen, Harper, Given, Reina, Lehnman, Isaksson, Robinson wouldn't do well), or their overall reputation (Foster, Carson, Kuszczak, Harper, Isaksson, Kirkland wouldn't do well)? Or shall we compare a player at their peak (VDS, Schwarzer, Jaaskelainen wouldn't do well here)?

So let's just say, which 3 premiership keepers would you have in your squad?

I would fire away first.

1. Ben Foster - Excellent shot stopper, Mr Consistency, command his box reasonably well. Excellent ball distribution.

2. Petr Cech - Very good shot stopper, Mr Consistency, command his box excellently. Normal ball distribution.

3. Shay Given - Excellent shot stopper, Mr Consistency, command his box reasonably well. Poor distribution of balls.

Special mentions to

4. Brad Friedel - Excellent shot stopper, Not so consistent (throughout his career), command his box okayly. Normal distribution of balls.

5. Thomas Sorensen - Very good shot stopper, Mr Consistency, command his box decently. Normal ball distribution.

6. Edwin Van Der Saar - Very good shot stopper, Mr Consistency, command his box quite well. Good ball distribution.

I have always thought that premiership are very well blessed with very good keepers and after constructing this list my belief is only firmer.

On second thought it seems like this season has not been kind to keepers.

PS Andreas Isaksson is the Swedish keeper who is currently the understudy to Nicky Weaver. He came to Man City with a huge reputation but injuries and Weaver's form so far have hampered his career here. You mgiht recall his heroic performance in the world cup for Sweden against Germany. Would definitely love to see more of him.

I still believe Cech is vastly overrated though. Had a great first season, and won the best keeper award fair and square, but since then he's been pretty inconsistent, not in the top 3 anymore for me.

Can't believe anyone would pick Lehmann, this season he's been hilariously bad at times.

Given that Cech is out for the season, plus I think he's error prone at times, I've gone for Seamus, Jaaskelainen and VDS.

Jaaskelainen is massively underrated.

Given no doubt....

Cech no doubt...

I put david james because at the moment..you really can't deny how good a form he is in. Regardless of performances in the past...he is in top form at the moment and should get a call back to the england squad over mrs. robinson

I'm answering this poll based on the keeper they can be, not just recent form.  Bearing that in mind, I disagree that Cech is overrated --  It's a few numpties who put him above the likes buffon/casillas but that's not a widely held opinion.  He's still a top, top keeper and one of the best in this league. 

And some say Given saves us points, but hell, Friedel is pretty much the only reason Blackburn stay in the league.  Terrific shot stopper, huge in front of goal, pretty good on PKs. 

Cech

Given

Friedel

Regardless if he is massively underrated or not, is him good enough to beat other keepers to get into your squad? Has your opinion been influenced by his sterling form this season? I mean, if you fancy Foster, Carson, Hahnemann or Kenny you can't look back at their history because htey are new to the league. But Jaaskelainen has been here for ages, if the poll is made last year would you have said the same?

To me Jaaskelainen is a very good keeper but I think he is another Mark Schwarzer and Thomas Sorensen - unsung heroes or Mr Reliable for their teams; A patch of excellent form and suddenly all the plaudits come awake.

Anyway, if Jaaskelainen's excellence continues for the rest of the season, he would be a very strong contender for the keeper of the year award.

Regardless if he is massively underrated or not, is him good enough to beat other keepers to get into your squad? Has your opinion been influenced by his sterling form this season? I mean, if you fancy Foster, Carson, Hahnemann or Kenny you can't look back at their history because htey are new to the league. But Jaaskelainen has been here for ages, if the poll is made last year would you have said the same?

To me Jaaskelainen is a very good keeper but I think he is another Mark Schwarzer and Thomas Sorensen - unsung heroes or Mr Reliable for their teams; A patch of excellent form and suddenly all the plaudits come awake.

Anyway, if Jaaskelainen's excellence continues for the rest of the season, he would be a very strong contender for the keeper of the year award.

Jaaskelainen's been consistently good for Bolton for ages, not just this season.

To be fair most goalies in this league are excellent and there's really not much between the best and the worst. However I think the best goalie, week to week, is David James. Awesome player 9 games in 10, its just that 10th game that counts against him and puts him in amongst the rest. Maybe my opinion is tainted by him being a City player but even if he isn't the best goalie in the prem, he is definetly Englands #1. I voted for him, and Petr Cech.

Re: Isaksson - Only time I've seen him in a City shirt he was awesome. Much better player than Weaver who has hardly made a save all season but is keeping his place on sentimentality (Been injured for a few years) and not making any mistakes.

That is a joke if Given was not at Newcastle he would not be up there. NAme one good thing about him apart from Shotstopping?? Igf he were so good why didn't a big club pick him up 2 or 3 years ago when he was wanting to leave. I winder. CEch or Given. Reina or Given. Dont be stupid

That is a joke if Given was not at Newcastle he would not be up there. NAme one good thing about him apart from Shotstopping?? Igf he were so good why didn't a big club pick him up 2 or 3 years ago when he was wanting to leave. I winder. CEch or Given. Reina or Given. Dont be stupid

Because 3 years ago we were still one of the big clubs.

Petr Cech is immensely overrated in my opinion. With an average defense infront of him he would have been found out a long time ago. He has concentration issues. :roll:  Fortunately, for his sake - his backline tends, or tended, to include John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, William Gallas, Paolo Ferreira, Geremi, Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole, etc.

In no particular order:

Shay Given

Edwin Van der Sar

Jussi Jaaskelainen

However, i think Ben Foster is a big talent. Likewise with Scott Carson - he just needs to find a club. :?