How prolific was Shearer

Guest POWNATS

Guest POWNATS

Well, how prolific was he.

How many goals did alan shearer score

(minus penalties) in open play, we will include free kicks other than penalties.

average per season at NUFC.

Just interested to know if anyones worked it out before

While on the subject of CF,s is Cruch coming to Newcastle

Well, how prolific was he.

How many goals did alan shearer score

(minus penalties) in open play, we will include free kicks other than penalties.

average per season at NUFC.

Just interested to know if anyones worked it out before

While on the subject of CF,s is Cruch coming to Newcastle

Day release?

Yeah, he scored something like 52 penalties i think. Couldn't care less... he's still got to put it in the net.

For the Premiership only, had he not have netted against Sunderland in his last game - he would have had an exactly 1 in 2 goals ratio. So he's actually got a very marginally better one.

I'd say he was pretty prolific...

Well, a striker who takes penalties stands a higher chance of scoring than one who doesn't. I'd be pretty impressed if a striker matched his record without taking penalties, wouldn't you? Let's face it, penalties are not hard to score. If you put me in front of Given there's a good chance I'd hit the back of the net. So if you're measuring the greatness of a player, there's a good argument for removing his penalties. Perhaps a fairer way would be to measure the pens which he won for himself, but it'd be very hard to find this out.

Nevertheless, Shearer played on until he was well past his best, making his goals-to-games record look poorer. If you measure his best years he was very prolific, but if you include the last couple of seasons when he faded badly it lowers his average.

At his best he was one of the most prolific in the game. To win the league and score 30-odd league goals for Blackburn, with only Ripley and Wilcox his suppliers, is bloody impressive.

Guest POWNATS

The reason i ask the question is while discussing scoring records with a mate of mine, also a newcastle fan, he said he thought penalties should not be included in a players scoring record

Then he gives Shearer as an example, quoted 10.8 league goals per season at Newcastle, minus penalties

Season is unfair, it must be games played. he had no stats for that

However i do agree with him, penalties should not be included in a players scoring record unless its a seperate record against missed penalties. conversion percentage

If it was that easy to score from the penalty spot.......england would probably be world cup winners by now.

Shearer scored his one and only penalty in a World Cup finals tbh.

Scored two World Cup penalties actually.

If it was that easy to score from the penalty spot.......england would probably be world cup winners by now.

Shearer scored his one and only penalty in a World Cup finals tbh.

Scored two World Cup penalties actually.

Ah yes that's right. There was two in the Argentina game.

From the years 92-97 before Shearer suffered that horrific ankle injury IMO he was the greatest English striker of all time, he really did have it all. It's a testimony to the man really after that injury and the latter knee injury and not forgetting the earlier cruciate at Blackburn that he could come back and still score so many goals have lost his pace.

I never understand this "don't count penalties" argument. A goal is a goal. Has anyone wondered why some strikers don't take penalties? The reason is usually because they don't have a good record of scoring them. For example, I'm sure Owen missed a few for Liverpool and stopped taking them for them.

With Shearer we were 95% sure he'd score when he took a penalty. The same can be said for only a few others. It's usually opposition fans who go on about Shearer 'only' scoring penalties.