Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

1 minute ago, andycap said:

We Overpayed for isak tonali Wood gordon tino hall

Tino at the time was a lot more than his value southampton wanted 40 million they held for. 

Isak was at the time aswell. 

It's funny because I clearly remember the public discourse being we paid too much for a lot of our signings at the time.

Thankfully it has all worked out, because they have performed well and actually increased their value for the most part.

The scouting network clearly isn't fit for purpose like, we make good signings but we need to be bringing in 'Brighton signings' regularly to get around FFP.

I have no issue with Howe bringing in his nephew, the 'nepitism' claims are cringey as fuck. He's worked with him for over a decade iirc, they'll have an excellent working relationship and their track record is pretty bulletproof, but ultimately our scouting needs to be among the best in the world and Mitchell will need complete control of that.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The scouting network clearlly isn't fit for purpose like, we make good signing but we need to be bringing in 'Brighton signings' regularly to get around FFP.

I have no issue with Howe bringing in his nephew, the 'nepitism' claims are cringey as fuck. He's worked with him for over a decade iirc, they'll have an excellent working relationship and their track record is pretty bulletproof, but ultimately our scouting needs to be among the best in the world and Mitchell will need complete control of that.

Yeah, everyone at the club really needs to be more open minded to continuing to learn and grow, including Howe and the current recruitment team.

Mitchell's background is really strong. That Red Bull machine is something else as far as identifying talent early and bringing them through.

We absolutely have to tap into some of that knowledge, and incorporate that into how we operate.

12 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The scouting network clearly isn't fit for purpose like, we make good signings but we need to be bringing in 'Brighton signings' regularly to get around FFP.

I agree.  The issue is that I can't see the majority of our fans being happy when we let them go, as per the Brighton model.  Minteh is a case in point, and he hadn't even kicked a ball for us! 

Just now, jack j said:

The Brighton model is a big jump from PIF wanting to be the best like

I don't think that's what he was trying to say.

More that we need to be more data-led and cast a wider net with our approach to scouting. He feels our current approach is too narrow and isn't effective with PSR around.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

Bloke gives me the creeps, my sense is that he’s a salaryman and money-first. Really wish he wasn’t here. 

So weird

2 hours ago, AJ9 said:

I think the players we overpaid for would be:

Wood, Targett, Hall

Possibly overpaid for:

Tonali, Isak, Burn, Gordon

Got value from:

Bruno, Botman, Pope

regardless of how well they have done since

I don't think you can disregard how well they've done since because it's with that hindsight that we can see how savvy the club's been. 

So yes, Wood was too expensive at the time, but then when you factor in what we got back, what he contributed and how he's doing now you can't write that off imo, it's too relevant. 

Most thought we overpaid for Gordon, if you asked anyone if we'd sell him for what we thought he was worth when we bought him everyone would kick off. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I didn't much like his response on the Howe to England thing. All that said, it felt a bit of a non-update. 

We won't overpay on transfers? Really!? Well I never. It would have been much funnier if he'd said the opposite and gone

will arnett magic GIF

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I have to be totally honest like, as alarmist as it may sound, the more I read those quotes from him the more I dislike him and the more I think they'll rub Howe up the wrong way. 

Same, some of the quotes are deliberate imo.

I have mixed feelings about them. Some good stuff in there and some unnecessary bits too.

That's why I think a video interview might have been a better format, always difficult to frame these things when you don't know what questions were asked or how the answers were delivered.

9 hours ago, McDog said:

I think if your predecessor is a garden gnome that's allowed currently.

Don't mind us saying it, people in the media saying etc. Our current DoF saying it? Not for me Geoff, particularly as it's unclear whether he's digging out Ashworth or Staveley/Ghoudoussi. 

Dont understand why he did different interviews with different media outlets rather than just do a video on the official channel - quite odd really. I agree with the wording being a bit dodgy but could just be taken out of context. Anyway, actions speak more than words so lets see what he/they do for January.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

Bloke gives me the creeps, my sense is that he’s a salaryman and money-first. Really wish he wasn’t here. 

Imagine coming to this conclusion based on a couple of quotes in an article [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

The Brighton model is a big jump from PIF wanting to be the best like

Just because we'd like to move more towards a Brighton scouting model doesn't mean we have to adopt their financial model of regularly selling their best players you know.

Reckon Brighton would be pretty good now (or even better is maybe more accurate to say) if they still had the likes of Caicedo, MacAllister, Cucurella, Bissouma, Trossard, Sanchez & White.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think you can disregard how well they'll done since because it's with that hindsight that we can see how savvy the club's been. 

Yeah, great they've done well.

However, if we overpaid for what they were at the time, ultimately that now led to the PSR situation and losing valuable young talent.

Not to mention also restricting what we've been able to do as far as bringing players in the last couple of windows.

38 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's funny because I clearly remember the public discourse being we paid too much for a lot of our signings at the time.

Thankfully it has all worked out, because they have performed well and actually increased their value for the most part.

Literally never crossed my mind that we overpaid for Tonali or Gordon. Isak maybe, but then he’s now one of the best forwards in world. 

Out transfer business since the takeover has been excellent. 

I’d much rather buy those players and sell Anderson and Minteh. That’s what Minteh was signed for. Of course I want less of a panic in June. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Brighton are a well run club, I don’t think there’s any issue with our director of football acknowledging that. It doesn’t mean our whole approach will be the same as Connor says above and Mitchel is probably alluding to recruitment in the PSR world. Signing a player for 6m who goes on to be a cracking player in the league or get sold for profit at some point can only be a good thing surely.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Just because we'd like to move more towards a Brighton scouting model doesn't mean we have to adopt their financial model of regularly selling their best players you know.

Reckon Brighton would be pretty good now (or even better is maybe more accurate to say) if they still had the likes of Caicedo, MacAllister, Cucurella, Bissouma, Trossard, Sanchez & White.

Exactly!

Not to mention, that Brighton model is evolving.

They clearly took more of a step forward this summer in the amount they spent on individual players being brought in.

They seem to have a long term plan in place, and they will likely end up selling less and less as time goes on.

Don't want to name any in particular in case any are on here but some of the 'journalistic' takes on this interview show how little real insight there is in journalists covering NUFC.