Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

5 minutes ago, Erikse said:

If this is the way Howe likes to do things, and he thinks that this is the best way to do it, I personally don't think that he would care about it being talked about in the public domain. Unless he's not proud of his own ways of doing things. But I can't speak for him, obviously.

Fair point.

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think I'm the one with the agenda here. I've written, multiple times, I have no problem with Paul Mitchell and I'm excited to see what he can do for the club.

This conversation was in relation to one particular segment of his interview, which as a club executive trying to present a united front, sounded a but dicey.

The interview was needed, but sounded like a self preservation exercise in parts. Granted, we don't know what questions he was asked.

While I didn't see much wrong with the quotes at all, I've no doubt that the bit in bold is true.

It absolutely was self-preserving, but in mitigation, if I'd spent the last week being hammered and questioned, I'd probably sound a bit defensive too.

Don't have much of an opinion on Paul Mitchell.

Suits talk like a suit. That's fine.

Good track record. I was a bit bewildered by why he seemed to change tact in the summer. Truthfully, his reasonings make sense. He was new in position, mid-transfer window, plans already in motion - carry out those plans as best you can. Implement your own by January.

He's suggested his plans will align with what got him the job from his experience. It's a logical way to build. A suped-up Brighton model (our wage bill is at least £60m bigger, almost 50% increase) is the best way for us to progress if we aren't going to try and be super clever with FFP.

Too early to be worried about him. The personal stuff about his turn of phrase is harsh imo.

My opinion on this whole thing is that the club have been stung massively by FFP and that has led a significant fallout, contributing to the departure of A&M, and now the club has made the decision to tilt the recruitment model more towards the Brighton approach (recruit broader and with aggressive buy and sell to navigate FFP) as the best way to progress the club forward while we grow bigger revenue streams.

In theory I don't disagree with this. Overall our first team recruitment has been pretty good but it lacks dynamism and variety in terms of markets we look at, and is definitely too pally with the same pool of agents. We have ultimately backed ourselves into a corner by targeting a specific market and being risk averse - which came to a head this summer.

If you could have an expansive and flexible recruitment model allied with Howe's ability to coach and develop players working in tandem we'd be onto a winner. Whether that will happen or not is a big question mark - and at the moment I fear we're heading towards a collision course that will ultimately see the end of Eddie unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

If this is the way Howe likes to do things, and he thinks that this is the best way to do it, I personally don't think that he would care about it being talked about in the public domain. Unless he's not proud of his own ways of doing things. But I can't speak for him, obviously.

I think if there are any problems, it will be that Howe very much likes to do things his way. Would Mitchell employ Howe's nephew for example in whatever capacity he's currently employed? Eddie might trust him, maybe he's really good at his job - but Mitchell will surely want his own people in who will be familiar with his methods.

The only way this works is if Howe accepts MItchell's recruitment model. That's what he's been hired for.

Very interesting to read he will be looking to sign 6 players a year for 3 years, totalling 18 new players and that’s how he’ll refresh the squad. One would imagine that’s a lot of project players. Maybe only 1 first team ready players and 5 project players.

Thats quite a different strategy to what we’ve done up until now.

The only psr fallout can be the decision to give joelinton a new contract and not sell him. This must have been Amanda & Merhdad's decision if it has caused Eales to complain about not being able to be the decision maker. I agree totally to keep Big Joe and the other Elites as it is fundamental to success. I don't believe Eales is fit for purpose and Mitchell just doesn't appear to get Howes total fan backing at all.

Newcastle as a club have been built and supported by a wave of emotion and passion and we are in danger of losing that. Anybody who thinks success is built on a passionless corporate team need to find a different club. I longed to win something under Keegan, Bobby and Rafa but would have hated to fluke a cup under Souness, Gullit, Daglish, pardew etc. I loved the passion from top to bottom since the takeover and Mitchell just doesn't seem to understand that's what makes Newcastle tick. He must either fit in or **** off as far as I'm concerned. In Eddy I eternally trust. He gets us more than any future appointment will. I want his statue rather than any other and it wouldn't surprise me that if and when we win something an Eales and Mitchell brass bust will be ordered and take pride of place in front of the Milburn stand. Newcastle must be run by passion & emotion. Without it we become the same as everyone else. It won't work up here.

2 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

The only psr fallout can be the decision to give joelinton a new contract and not sell him. This must have been Amanda & Merhdad's decision if it has caused Eales to complain about not being able to be the decision maker. I agree totally to keep Big Joe and the other Elites as it is fundamental to success. I don't believe Eales is fit for purpose and Mitchell just doesn't appear to get Howes total fan backing at all.

Newcastle as a club have been built and supported by a wave of emotion and passion and we are in danger of losing that. Anybody who thinks success is built on a passionless corporate team need to find a different club. I longed to win something under Keegan, Bobby and Rafa but would have hated to fluke a cup under Souness, Gullit, Daglish, pardew etc. I loved the passion from top to bottom since the takeover and Mitchell just doesn't seem to understand that's what makes Newcastle tick. He must either fit in or **** off as far as I'm concerned. In Eddy I eternally trust. He gets us more than any future appointment will. I want his statue rather than any other and it wouldn't surprise me that if and when we win something an Eales and Mitchell brass bust will be ordered and take pride of place in front of the Milburn stand. Newcastle must be run by passion & emotion. Without it we become the same as everyone else. It won't work up here.

That strategy is not going to work though, unless PSR is blown out of the water. Unless we can keep buying top class players and spending hundreds of millions net without selling basically. What we've done last couple of windows is attempt to add whatever quality we can and keep our purples, which is the right thing to do as it stands. But will that give us a club which gets CL this season?

I don't think so personally, I think we are a couple of players short. So as another season goes without either a trophy or CL, our top players will get itchy feet and we might end up selling anyway before we assemble a squad equal to the cartel clubs.

I still don't totally grasp the sudden clamour to get stuck into Eales. For sure, he has to shoulder some of the criticism received over the transfer market, but it seems over the top.

Edited by The Prophet

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I still don't totally grasp the sudden clamour to get stuck into Eales. For sure, he has to shoulder some of the criticism of received over the transfer market, but it seems over the top.

He didn’t have the courtesy (or balls?) to thrash things out with Howe and what the structure will be re transfers, DoF and instead did a public interview talking about keeping Howe ‘on the grass’, which prompted Howe to give a public response of his own. 

1 minute ago, timnufc22 said:

He didn’t have the courtesy (or balls?) to thrash things out with Howe and what the structure will be re transfers, DoF and instead did a public interview talking about keeping Howe ‘on the grass’, which prompted Howe to give a public response of his own. 

Hasn't Howe previously said he was consulted on the SD search?

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Hasn't Howe previously said he was consulted on the SD search?

Not sure. I'm being harsh probably, but I just don't think Howe would have said those comments in Germany if the structure hadn't been nailed down between everyone.

There’s a lot bubbling away under the surface and in the press columns, we’ll likely not know more about how they’re all getting on until January and how that window goes. The idea that Howe’s “playing style” is coming up as an issue with Mitchell seems frankly absurd. Is that just hack nonsense? He’s been here nowhere near long enough to have a view on it surely. If Mitchell did have an issue with it so far then he could go fuck himself in my opinion 

6 minutes ago, JUICE690 said:

Not saying there isn't a possibilty of shenanigans but:

'The Sun insist'
‘believed to have'
'according to reports' (see above)
'Howe has ‘privately' expressed frustration'

Was reading that and seen "the sun report" and crossed it off.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I still don't totally grasp the sudden clamour to get stuck into Eales. For sure, he has to shoulder some of the criticism of received over the transfer market, but it seems over the top.

Its mental. 

38 minutes ago, gbandit said:

There’s a lot bubbling away under the surface and in the press columns, we’ll likely not know more about how they’re all getting on until January and how that window goes. The idea that Howe’s “playing style” is coming up as an issue with Mitchell seems frankly absurd. Is that just hack nonsense? He’s been here nowhere near long enough to have a view on it surely. If Mitchell did have an issue with it so far then he could go fuck himself in my opinion 

Where has the playing style being an issue come from ? Doubt it’s true, he hired Poch who also plays that way and worked for Red Bull who are know for it aren’t they ?

None of it sounds particularly great.

As much as I rate Eddie I can’t escape the feeling he can’t work within a certain structure. If Mitchell departed that would be two sporting directors he has disposed of in quick succession. 

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Where has the playing style being an issue come from ? Doubt it’s true, he hired Poch who also plays that way and worked for Red Bull who are know for it aren’t they ?

This from Mitchell's interview:

“The way we see the game, we’re very aggressive, that’s the way I like the team to play as well,” Mitchell said. “The types of signings — very physical, dynamic but must be able to use the ball to a certain level. We’ve had some really good conversations. It’s a working relationship and it does take time. It has to develop trust within it. I’ve really enjoyed the interaction and we’re growing to work and learn together. I’m super positive because I can see why we can align.”

2 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

None of it sounds particularly great.

As much as I rate Eddie I can’t escape the feeling he can’t work within a certain structure. If Mitchell departed that would be two sporting directors he has disposed of in quick succession. 

Ashworth was always leaving once his mates at Manure came knocking, despite what his relationship with Eddie was. I expect Eddie and Mitchell to grow together in their respective roles. Time will tell of course.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Mitchell even said in his interview he's a big fan of Eddie's aggressive style and it's how he likes to see the game played.

I feel like there is a lot of finger pointing from Mitchell which is unnecessary and can't help the situation.  

Edited by duo

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

This from Mitchell's interview:

“The way we see the game, we’re very aggressive, that’s the way I like the team to play as well,” Mitchell said. “The types of signings — very physical, dynamic but must be able to use the ball to a certain level. We’ve had some really good conversations. It’s a working relationship and it does take time. It has to develop trust within it. I’ve really enjoyed the interaction and we’re growing to work and learn together. I’m super positive because I can see why we can align.”

Just wants some more technicality in the squad. I think we all do. Good that he sees that.