Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Found the actual quote. Posted it above.

It was more around him criticising the state of our scouting department/over paying on players - which Eddie was a large part of.

Edited by duo

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Mitchell even said in his interview he's a big fan of Eddie's aggressive style and it's how he likes to see the game played.

Can’t help thinking that in an ideal world nobody should give a fuck about his preferences or thoughts on playing style. Whether it aligns or doesn’t with Howe’s, he should be there to ensure that we can sustainably feed the beast with the right kind of players when we need them. 
Suspect that beneath the managerees patter this unfortunately isn’t how his role is seen.
‘Director’ roles likes to direct. The coach who works for me kind of vibe. Talentless tag alongs. 

A lot of what he seems to be alluding to are things plenty on here have had reservations about (playing style, lack of diversity in scouting etc), so in that sense it can be seen as a positive that there will be more internal debate regarding these things. You don't ever want one person surrounded by yes men.

I suppose the concern is just how Eddie views it. We know he was happy working with Amanda and Merhdad, and it seems they backed his judgement to the hilt. How he will adapt to having that questioned, and his influence reduced, we shall see in the coming months I guess. The transfer window won't have helped, and I doubt the interview will have either though.

Yep, if the interview was designed to settle speculation it doesn't seem to have worked out like that in some parts.

Maybe it was designed instead to mix things up with a public statement of intent about what is needed instead.

I'm just glad we're on an international break, so there's been no Howe interview where select bits would be put to him by folks trying to create a story where there may not be one.

40 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Can’t help thinking that in an ideal world nobody should give a fuck about his preferences or thoughts on playing style. Whether it aligns or doesn’t with Howe’s, he should be there to ensure that we can sustainably feed the beast with the right kind of players when we need them. 
Suspect that beneath the managerees patter this unfortunately isn’t how his role is seen.
‘Director’ roles likes to direct. The coach who works for me kind of vibe. Talentless tag alongs. 

I'd think it would be the opposite - that 'big' clubs have a playing philosophy, implemented from the youth ranks to the first team, and that players, coaches and managers are selected to ensure that they fit into that style.

A proper DoF isn't a glorified head scout - they're there to set up the way that the club approaches football from top to bottom.

That F365 article is just based off the Sun's article. Not taking it seriously for the time being as some parts don't quite add up and it's 'too' perfect a shitstorm.

As an aside, just a gut feeling but counterintuitively I think Yasir would be more inclined to back Howe over Mitchell and/or Eales if it came down to it - subject to how this season goes. He's probably Eddie's closest senior ally nowadays, when I think about it.

1 hour ago, Stuy_O said:

None of it sounds particularly great.

As much as I rate Eddie I can’t escape the feeling he can’t work within a certain structure. If Mitchell departed that would be two sporting directors he has disposed of in quick succession. 

Mitchell is here to stay IMO. Sacking Mandy and Mehrdad is a clear indication to me that Mitchell will be backed over Howe if it comes down to it.

I hope the Bournemouth stuff is overblown because it would be a shame to lose Eddie in the event he's unsatisfied not having significant control over transfer business. It's hard to know what to make of Mitchell's interview as regards Eddie - does Mitchell actually want Eddie long term or not I'm not sure.

Ideal system for me is Mitchell picking players, Eddie choosing from Mitchell's shortlist, and Eddie managing the squad. With that setup, I think we'd see stratospheric improvement.

6 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

My opinion on this whole thing is that the club have been stung massively by FFP and that has led a significant fallout, contributing to the departure of A&M, and now the club has made the decision to tilt the recruitment model more towards the Brighton approach (recruit broader and with aggressive buy and sell to navigate FFP) as the best way to progress the club forward while we grow bigger revenue streams.

In theory I don't disagree with this. Overall our first team recruitment has been pretty good but it lacks dynamism and variety in terms of markets we look at, and is definitely too pally with the same pool of agents. We have ultimately backed ourselves into a corner by targeting a specific market and being risk averse - which came to a head this summer.

If you could have an expansive and flexible recruitment model allied with Howe's ability to coach and develop players working in tandem we'd be onto a winner. Whether that will happen or not is a big question mark - and at the moment I fear we're heading towards a collision course that will ultimately see the end of Eddie unfortunately.

This will be the most frustrating part to me if it doesn't work for whatever reason. A Brighton type model, but with a larger budget (which means attracting a higher level and keeping who we want) and a consistent manager with the ability to get the most out of just about any player would take us a very, very long way.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

That F365 article is just based off the Sun's article. Not taking it seriously for the time being as some parts don't quite add up and it's 'too' perfect a shitstorm.

As an aside, just a gut feeling but counterintuitively I think Yasir would be more inclined to back Howe over Mitchell and/or Eales if it came down to it - subject to how this season goes. He's probably Eddie's closest senior ally nowadays, when I think about it.

The only way he backs Howe over Eales or Mitchell is if he thinks they were both poor appointments. PIF have brought in all appointments including Howe because they were the best they could get after fairly extensive research. I would think he'll want all of them on board doing what they were hired for.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

The only way he backs Howe over Eales or Mitchell is if he thinks they were both poor appointments. PIF have brought in all appointments including Howe because they were the best they could get after fairly extensive research. I would think he'll want all of them on board doing what they were hired for.

Well even if you appoint in good faith, doesn’t mean you continue to like what you see. Especially if what you see starts to look like snide, snivelling, rivalries upsetting the sense of togetherness. 

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

Mitchell is here to stay IMO. Sacking Mandy and Mehrdad is a clear indication to me that Mitchell will be backed over Howe if it comes down to it.

I hope the Bournemouth stuff is overblown because it would be a shame to lose Eddie in the event he's unsatisfied not having significant control over transfer business. It's hard to know what to make of Mitchell's interview as regards Eddie - does Mitchell actually want Eddie long term or not I'm not sure.

Ideal system for me is Mitchell picking players, Eddie choosing from Mitchell's shortlist, and Eddie managing the squad. With that setup, I think we'd see stratospheric improvement.

If my job is to identify players, the first thing I'd want is a coach with a track record of getting the most out of (and developing) players. I think Eddie Howe fits that criteria pretty well.

If I sign good players and my head coach makes them better, we both look good. If either one of us does a shit job, it's a blame game and there's a chance either of us end up on the chopping block because who really knows whether its the Sporting Director signing crap players or the coach doing a crap job of coaching?

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'd think it would be the opposite - that 'big' clubs have a playing philosophy, implemented from the youth ranks to the first team, and that players, coaches and managers are selected to ensure that they fit into that style.

A proper DoF isn't a glorified head scout - they're there to set up the way that the club approaches football from top to bottom.

Exactly. Both DOF and coach have to be aligned on these things.

From day one Mitchell said it was one of the reasons he was keen on the job, as he appreciated Howe's football.

That Sun article is so full of shit.

Edited by KaKa

48 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

This will be the most frustrating part to me if it doesn't work for whatever reason. A Brighton type model, but with a larger budget (which means attracting a higher level and keeping who we want) and a consistent manager with the ability to get the most out of just about any player would take us a very, very long way.

Bring on the next transfer window!

I really just hate that any of them were needing to do interviews and statements. We are 4 unbeaten this season, let Eddie and the players focus on the task at hand. The quotes and comments just seem really stupid. Deal with all of that internally and lets crack on this season. 

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I really just hate that any of them were needing to do interviews and statements. We are 4 unbeaten this season, let Eddie and the players focus on the task at hand. The quotes and comments just seem really stupid. Deal with all of that internally and lets crack on this season. 

I agree. I felt the same regarding that Howe interview a while back. Just don’t! No reason to go public with some things. 

Edited by Ikon

2 hours ago, TRon said:

He'll definitely want it all to work out, and I'm not saying he'd get rid of them over Howe even if it's true. But he looks to be a very shrewd customer, was one of Howe's earliest backers - pre-Emery - and has received nothing but results and dignified conduct in return since then.

I could see him finding Eddie's representations far more persuasive if the worst comes to the worst - I think he'll have a very low tolerance if he spots any bullshit.

Howe will have to get used to it. 

Because any job in the future he gets he'll run into the same problems he needs to evolve as a manager and not be so old fashioned with his do everything ways. 

11 minutes ago, andycap said:

Howe will have to get used to it. 

Because any job in the future he gets he'll run into the same problems he needs to evolve as a manager and not be so old fashioned with his do everything ways. 

If that's what's happened. 

Was speaking to my lass's dad tonight about all this. I tend to find he's a decent barometer of these things because he's the least online person I know and he's pretty laid back - eg he wouldn't have been bothered if we'd gone down in 21/22.

Anyway, he's worried about Howe's position and already doesn't like Mitchell solely over the one quote from him saying we couldn't stand in his way re England. He had no idea about the other things he'd said.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

FYI, Jamie Reuben is still on the board and he was massively influential in the Howe move too. 

Was he? Not disputing it but he seems to have been pretty backseat when it comes to actually running the club. I just recall several news articles after Eddie had first been rejected saying Yasir had been most impressed with him but the collective board had chosen Emery. And Amanda later essentially confirmed that in an interview.

10 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Was speaking to my lass's dad tonight about all this. I tend to find he's a decent barometer of these things because he's the least online person I know and he's pretty laid back - eg he wouldn't have been bothered if we'd gone down in 21/22.

Anyway, he's worried about Howe's position and already doesn't like Mitchell solely over the one quote from him saying we couldn't stand in his way re England. He had no idea about the other things he'd said.

This was also the main bit that bothered me. If his intent was to calm down speculation, then he hasn't as far as the press goes at least.

The Times this morning writing about not not rushing to appoint a permanent England manager in Carsley, with the 'smart money' being on Eddie Howe for the job, and referencing apparent tension between him and his employers being 'timely to say the least'.

We'll have to see, I guess, but I can't see how that interview has helped. Nor did Howe's in Germany, for that matter.

10 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think I’ve said it on here previously but I can see a situation where the FA approach us to speak to Howe and we give permission for them to do so, which will be as clear an indicator for him that those at the top are happy for him to move on.

The club will then get someone in who is happy to work as a coach with the players Mitchell brings in, whilst seeing Howe moving on as a clean and amicable break.