Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I think I’ve said it on here previously but I can see a situation where the FA approach us to speak to Howe and we give permission for them to do so, which will be as clear an indicator for him that those at the top are happy for him to move on.

The club will then get someone in who is happy to work as a coach with the players Mitchell brings in, whilst seeing Howe moving on as a clean and amicable break.

I actually agree the club would privately welcome that. However I don’t actually think the FA have any interest in Howe at this stage. Carsley will get it.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I actually agree the club would privately welcome that. However I don’t actually think the FA have any interest in Howe at this stage. Carsley will get it.

There has to be some adaptation from Howe in accepting the various roles of club aiming to move towards elite status, I mean he’s not at Bournemouth anymore. That being said the club would be foolish to make life overly difficult for him and/or move him in on if he’s still been doing well. All they need to do is look at what he’s done so far since coming in. I don’t expect everything to be nicey nicey behind the scenes all the time, I’m sure there are strong opinions and disagreements but hopefully working relationships can remain calm and focussed. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Out of interest what sort manager would Mitchell go for if Howe where to leave? Who has he appointed at other clubs? 

I know he appointed Poch at Spurs, does that mean he'll look at up and coming Premier League managers, so someone like McKenna, Glasner, Iraola? Or you would he looks on the continent?

9 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think theres too many who’ve come to the conclusion already that Mitchel is either no good, shifty or ready to force Howe out. I think the guy needs to be given time, much do what he says makes sense.

I think most agree with the stuff he has said about scouting and transfers etc. I’m still excited he is here, I just felt some of his comments were unnecessary (without knowing the context). If him and Howe can form a good relationship I genuinely think we will go up a few levels. They should be a perfect compliment to each other really.

37 minutes ago, 54 said:

Out of interest what sort manager would Mitchell go for if Howe where to leave? Who has he appointed at other clubs? 

I know he appointed Poch at Spurs, does that mean he'll look at up and coming Premier League managers, so someone like McKenna, Glasner, Iraola? Or you would he looks on the continent?

He appointed Poch at Southampton but I think he joined Spurs after him. At RB he was entirely player recruitment based I think? Then Monaco hired Nico Kovac and Clement when he was there, did he hire Adi Hutter too or had he gone by that point?

The rags will of course say he’s in trouble. His main role is player recruitment and we had a terrible window where we didn’t land our target that everyone knew we were after. It’s hard to read anything at all into any article saying he’s at risk given that context as it’s the easiest article to write in UK sports journalism right now 

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The rags will of course say he’s in trouble. His main role is player recruitment and we had a terrible window where we didn’t land our target that everyone knew we were after. It’s hard to read anything at all into any article saying he’s at risk given that context as it’s the easiest article to write in UK sports journalism right now 

Yeah, either that or say that Howe is in trouble. If we had a couple of poor results, that would be the narrative, although I’m not convinced that they won’t go down that route in order to help their mates in the gambling industry make a few extra pounds in the back of the reduced odds it would result in.

I do think that any loose speaking out of the privacy of the board, any hint of playing the press to your own advantage, any signs of thin skin or self aggrandisement would be red flags to somebody like Yasir Al-Rumayyan.

I have only seen what most of us have, but he strikes me as somebody where loyalty and the collective good (of his assets) is paramount. And someone who would be ruthless once someone was seen as untrustworthy. 

The reporting of Mitchell’s interview was close to causing such alarm, and young ‘Phil’ looked mightily uncomfortable (and like a sack of shite) in the stands beside him at the Spurs game. 

31 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The Sun seem to have the knives out for Mitchell, would reflect very poorly on all concerned, including Howe if they can’t make this work

From Howe's initial comments, it's clear that the relationship between him and Mitchell didn't get off to a good start. I get the impression now from Mitchell's recent statement that things have been patched up and there's now some mutual trust and understanding between the two men.

Of course, the media are going to want to milk this, and the Sun seems to be the chief culprit. But I think Eales and Mitchell are aware of how valuable an asset their manager is, and Howe is aware of the realities of decision-making within a big club.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

If he goes, we will have zero chance of replacing him with someone of the same calibre. 

The same reputation maybe, no reason we can't get someone of the same calibre or better.

In the cold light of day, it would be harsh to judge him on one failed transfer where the consensus was we would have paid over the odds.

I get the point that Mitchell might have been able to present a number of different options (but maybe not so soon into the job, or maybe not that Howe would have wanted), or that they should have all agreed on several different options at the outset of the negotiation. And again, perhaps they did that, but those options weren't then available.

So, hopefully, once he gets to grips with what Howe needs that can be the case next time. On paper it looks like it should be a good team.

48 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The same reputation maybe, no reason we can't get someone of the same calibre or better.

I’ve heard Dan Ashworth (of Man U fame), could be easily persuaded 

:bluestar: