Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

Just now, KaKa said:

I disagree completely I'm afraid. This is how problems start.

This kind of thinking is likely what got Amanda and Mehrdad out of the club.

Everyone has their role and responsibilities to fulfil, and should carry those out, as well as respect others positions too.

I really don’t know what a sporting director who’s failed to sign a CB from palace and it have gone so publicly bad has done to give you the need to defend him so passionately when the manager who was instrumental in bringing us our top end talent is now being told by the likes of you to focus on coaching again. You can’t be serious. 

Just now, Heron said:

Eddie is our king. 🤴 

^100%. This.  Let’s remember who the players play for, why they signed for us, and who is training them everyday. 

Just now, Kanji said:

I really don’t know what a sporting director who’s failed to sign a CB from palace and it have gone so publicly bad has done to give you the need to defend him so passionately when the manager who was instrumental in bringing us our top end talent is now being told by the likes of you to focus on coaching again. You can’t be serious. 

Maybe you should look into the work he's done elsewhere then.

Besides, I don't care who the sporting director is. Whoever has that position is in there to do a job.

You can't just have the manager doing what he wants because he has been successful previously, if that is not his remit.

Everyone needs to play their position, simple as that.

18 minutes ago, Chinese Fans said:

Another point I want to make is that during the interview, Mitchell mentioned that he communicates with Howe every day, but Howe denied this. Additionally, Mitchell stated that he was only assisting in this transfer window, but it turned out that he was leading Marc Guehi's transfer work. I am now finding it hard to believe Mitchell's words.

You've massively misrepresented the position 

Mitchell said they spoke every day, Howe even confirmed they spoke regularly but that since the window they hadn't spoke, which he further explained is normal since they have very different roles at this moment 

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

Eddie is our king. 🤴 

Exactly this. Eddie and the players have my support as they have earned it. Mitchell as of yet has done nothing to deserve my support ahead of Eddie Howe. I'm not saying that support won't come in time alongside my support for the manager, but as of now, Mitchell needs to earn it.

Ball is in his court...

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Maybe you should look into the work he's done elsewhere then.

Besides, I don't care who the sporting director is. Whoever has that position is in there to do a job.

You can't just have the manager doing what he wants because he has been successful previously, if that is not his remit.

Everyone needs to play their position, simple as that.

kaka, I love your passion and love your takes on footie talent. But we are fundamentally different on this topic. I was excited about Mitchell’s arrival and his pedigree but he is never in a million years going to supersede the work Howe has done here. Maybe I’m old fashioned but I’m a manager and players guy first. Suits very very last. 

And further. Eddie’s work here is the only relevant thing you can look at. He earned it. Mitchell cocked up his first window and needs to show he can build unity amongst the coaching team and fans. He needs to deliver on his name and show up here. That may come in time and I hope it does. 

Edited by Kanji

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

kaka, I love your passion and love your takes on footie talent. But we are fundamentally different on this topic. I was excited about Mitchell’s arrival and his pedigree but he is never in a million years going to supersede the work Howe has done here. Maybe I’m old fashioned but I’m a manager and players guy first. Suits very very last. 

I can accept our difference of opinion on this.

I don't think the all conquering manager setup works nowadays, and having Howe involved in so many things will ultimately take away from the club's progress.

I think if Howe can just relax and at least give things a chance he'll ultimately benefit from it and be an even better manager.

True Faith have gone off the deep end like, everyone seems to think it’s more intelligent or insightful to make up and exaggerate controversy.

TBF it probably gets them more clicks, but it’s total bullshit. Especially for fans to do it. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

I do like the Magpie Channel but stuff like this doesn't help

Screenshot_20240914_101727_YouTube.thumb.jpg.c73192208f6d508cf02fe598b0965b31.jpg

Those fans on the biological level of a sponge just take the thumbnail in.

The kid that does that channel is a grade A whopper so doesn’t surprise me. 

Sporting  director role overated IMO, Ferguson never had one or mourinho .Howe made good signings without one before Ashworth came.sonetimes the old ways are the best, get out and watch players and not from behind. Computer. 

2 hours ago, Danh1 said:

I hate when our fans give journalists shit for negative reports, and as a fanbase we seem to have this weird complex where we believe anything good and write anything negative off as lies.

However, with Hope on this matter I feel people have every right to call him out. The way he’s twisted Howe’s comments at the press conference into something they’re not is embarrassing. Then you get wankers like Chris Sutton jumping on it. 

This.

Hope dines out on the Bruce call out but he’s definitely poisonous in his reporting. I probably agree with JK calling Bird a cnut also.

One day you’ll all realise Edwards is definitely one of the good guys.

11 minutes ago, splinter said:

Sporting  director role overated IMO, Ferguson never had one or mourinho .Howe made good signings without one before Ashworth came.sonetimes the old ways are the best, get out and watch players and not from behind. Computer. 

What century do you think this is? 

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What century do you think this is? 

In fairness the most successful manager’s and teams in this league have generally operated without a DOF.

I guess the decider in your argument is when Pep leaves Man City and their dominance continues…

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Quite simple really, we can't afford to buy players if we keep paying a premium for PL experience. Just take Elanga for example: £15m last season, now he's had a season behind him, Forest are knocking back bids for £50m. We need to be buying more players before their fees rocket due to PL experience.

19 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Reading Mitchell's comments in the Times, would understand if Howe is super annoyed. He seems a bit of a twat tbh

He does, but that doesn't mean he's not good at his job. He has more than a touch of arrogance, but that might well come with knowing what he's talking about.

19 minutes ago, LFEE said:

This.

Hope dines out on the Bruce call out but he’s definitely poisonous in his reporting. I probably agree with JK calling Bird a cnut also.

One day you’ll all realise Edwards is definitely one of the good guys.

Edwards is harmless tbf to him. I have called him a few abusive things over the years for the way he goes on, but suppose he is always going to be a bit of a nobhead the way some of our lot go on at him. 

35 minutes ago, splinter said:

[emoji38]

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum, but worst case and push come to shove if there is an unworkable rift, who goes?

Instant obvious reaction is Mitchell and I think everyone is rightfully attached to Eddie, it's unthinkable he would go.

However, in the grand scheme of things sporting directors generally outlast managers and are higher in the hierarchy aren't they?

Guess it depends who PIF feel is in the wrong.

However no-one looks good if someone leaves. If it's Mitchell you basically give all the power to Howe and might as well let him pick the next DoF. I don't think that's good for the long term either. Howe leaving for England would suck too.

Hope everyone just finds a workable way through.

Eddie without doubt. PIF won't be dipping their hand into the sporting director pot for a third elite sporting director.

Journalists stirring the pot. I don't think there is as much dissention as is being rumored. Eddie wanted Guehi and the club did everything it possibly could to make that happen. We simply were not going to spend £70m.  We will have a productive winter window that will catapult the club to European football.