Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Doesn't really matter, that would be tantamount to saying Howe is only capable of managing when he is in charge of everything from who replaces Staveley, who is in charge of recruitment, and the scouting team have to be all his guys as well. Otherwise he just can't motivate the players and get them to perform. I honestly think he's not that petty or egotistical.

Not sure what you're saying here tbh

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We didn't regularly play like this last season like,  especially at full strength. We also overachieved considering the injuries.

The last 10 months have been more like this season, than the 4th season. Those 10 months were the transition to this. Injuries were easy to hide behind, but you could see the signs things weren't working as well as they were, and I've seen very little to suggest its going to get back to the good days. Lack of signings are this year's injuries. Yes they both play their parts, but it's not why we're here. It's only recently this place is is actually calling what they see, rather than looking for the excuse. Eventually that kicks in at home games and soon we're looking for a new manager. 

My worry is whether it's all pre-planned, with Mitchell wanting his own guy in, one without the 'attitude' (or as we see it, a proper FT manager rather than head coach) and one happy with the players coming in without much resistance. I don't trust him, and had been on board with Eales, but feel I don't trust them. Whether that's justified or not, we will soon find out. I do think Howe is done here though, it's a feeling (not a desire) I've had for a while, with the Guehi saga suggesting games have been played, at his detriment. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

The last 10 months have been more like this season, than the 4th season. Those 10 months were the transition to this. Injuries were easy to hide behind, but you could see the signs things weren't working as well as they were, and I've seen very little to suggest its going to get back to the good days. Lack of signings are this year's injuries. Yes they both play their parts, but it's not why we're here. It's only recently this place is is actually calling what they see, rather than looking for the excuse. Eventually that kicks in at home games and soon we're looking for a new manager. 

My worry is whether it's all pre-planned, with Mitchell wanting his own guy in, one without the 'attitude' (or as we see it, a proper FT manager rather than head coach) and one happy with the players coming in without much resistance. I don't trust him, and had been on board with Eales, but feel I don't trust them. Whether that's justified or not, we will soon find out. I do think Howe is done here though, it's a feeling (not a desire) I've had for a while, with the Guehi saga suggesting games have been played, at his detriment. 

How could MItchell have pre-planned us playing badly this season? It might well be true that he would prefer someone who will accept his signings more readily, but why would that affect the games match to match? Are players not putting in the effort now? Is Eddie not picking the right sides because he's still pissed off with Mitchell's interview? This is still basically the same squad, we haven't added any Mitchell players yet. I don't think he can carry the can for poor performances.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

How could MItchell have pre-planned us playing badly this season? It might well be true that he would prefer someone who will accept his signings more readily, but why would that affect the games match to match? Are players not putting in the effort now? Is Eddie not picking the right sides because he's still pissed off with Mitchell's interview? This is still basically the same squad, we haven't added any Mitchell players yet. I don't think he can carry the can for poor performances.

Some would have you thinking Mitchell is out there on the right wing for us

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

He cannot carry the can as the root cause but he absolutely could be a contributory factor. I think even from Howes interviews where he has played it perfect politically, players that have been signed may have been put out by that, as the scouring and coaching team may have done too.

Mind, my hope would be that this would give them all fire in their belly to disprove that statement.

Edited by Heron

21 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Some bits I agree with other bits I disagree with. 

Don't agree at all that this season is a continuation of last. This year's lack of signings might well be last year's injuries, I agree, but to you those are excuses, to me they're smack-you-in-face season defining and not at all excuses, the transfer window was a joke and massively harmed our progress and the feeling going into this season. Last season our injuries were a joke and you can easily trace a line through our season when we had injuries and when we didn't. 

Agree about Eales and Mitchell though and I find the idea that the latter should be held in higher esteem and given right of way over Howe to be a joke tbh.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

No signings then calling out the previous strategy, with leaks stating Guehi was for Howe, an all or nothing signing. It affects the games as we don't have the signings we need. He's called out players who signed in that window, and key players who were expecting a big window for us, and probably why they stayed, are pissed off this is what they hung around for. All speculation of course. 

I still think a lot think of Howe as the plucky Bournemouth manager who will need to be upgraded and not the manager with the 4th highest points tally in the league since he came here with a side that still needs huge improvements and depth from the relegation circling one he inherited.

Edited by Kid Icarus

22 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

If you’re Isak or Bruno would you be happy with that window or the continuation of the general inability of (or disinterest in) the team keeping the ball? Both will be on the phone to their agents.

I think both of them will be looking closely at January and our league position before itching for any tranfer action, same goes for Gordon...

We managed to keep them this summer, but at the elite level their expectations are so high they will be very dissapointed.

1 minute ago, buzza said:

I think both of them will be looking closely at January and our league position before itching for any tranfer action, same goes for Gordon...

We managed to keep them this summer, but at the elite level their expectations are so high they will be very dissapointed.

Need to up their game for their current paymasters first mind! 

49 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I still think a lot think of Howe as the plucky Bournemouth manager who will need to be upgraded and not the manager with the 4th highest points tally in the league since he came here with a side that still needs huge improvements and depth from the relegation circling one he inherited.

I agree with this. But also we don’t play with thr authority of a top team.  

A bit opposite to Ange.  Spurs get on the ball like a really good side. But they ain’t. 

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Know what you mean. I feel frustrated as this was a big season for us and Howe - one in which he was going to be judged for better or for worse - but due to the disruption at board level it feels like he's had one arm tied behind his back. Anything that happens is tainted.

I'm not gunshy about criticising him in the slightest, but I feel I want to be biased in his favour to counterbalance what I think's going to happen if he's less than perfect this season.

I’m annoyed he’s used our club for a personal battle… I honestly couldn’t give a fuck about him but his stupid interview and non action in the summer is exactly what we didn’t need.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

If you’re Isak or Bruno would you be happy with that window or the continuation of the general inability of (or disinterest in) the team keeping the ball? Both will be on the phone to their agents.

Isak maybe. Bruno is the foundation of the ball playing / keeping and he’s been the biggest culprit of them all. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Bruno, has not been on top form himself this season and Isak, although isolated at times looks disinterested, as does Gordon.

Both certainly not the performers there were when they signed and that's for Howe to figure out.

Just now, gbandit said:

Why are people talking about it like Mitchell and Eales are watching and running the rule over Howe? Don't CEOs and Sporting Directors normally watch their respective teams?

He and Bunce just look so bloody evil :lol: 

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Why are people talking about it like Mitchell and Eales are watching and running the rule over Howe? Don't CEOs and Sporting Directors normally watch their respective teams?

Yes but doesn’t quite fit the #agenda does it

Don't like the camera panning to them each game now. Gives me flashbacks of the Ashley era when it was him with Llambias or Bishop in the crowd, looking like the evil overlords casting a grey cloud over everything. 😅

Can I ask one question as a neutral?

Why is there never rumors about you guys going for a left back?

I've seen all kinds of things this summer, from a CB, to a Callum replacement, to obviously a RW, but nobody ever mentions Newcastle going for a LB when IMO that's the biggest need in your whole team. At least for RW you can put Gordon there and Barnes left, but LB is so so empty. Burn and Hall just don't cut it IMO

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

He was unbelievable for Bournemouth, but it still went stale at the end. We slapped them about and won 4-1 down there with Bruce as manager.

I don’t want him to go, but what is happening at the time and the form is still pretty important when decisions are made on any manager.

19 minutes ago, ILCAML said:

Can I ask one question as a neutral?

Why is there never rumors about you guys going for a left back?

I've seen all kinds of things this summer, from a CB, to a Callum replacement, to obviously a RW, but nobody ever mentions Newcastle going for a LB when IMO that's the biggest need in your whole team. At least for RW you can put Gordon there and Barnes left, but LB is so so empty. Burn and Hall just don't cut it IMO

Because we brought Lewis Hall and Lloyd Kelly in this window who are both LBs.