Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

19 minutes ago, ILCAML said:

Can I ask one question as a neutral?

Why is there never rumors about you guys going for a left back?

I've seen all kinds of things this summer, from a CB, to a Callum replacement, to obviously a RW, but nobody ever mentions Newcastle going for a LB when IMO that's the biggest need in your whole team. At least for RW you can put Gordon there and Barnes left, but LB is so so empty. Burn and Hall just don't cut it IMO

Think the plan is for Lewis Hall to become our LB for years to come. Burn and Kelly will play there until that happens. 

IF that happens. 

21 minutes ago, ILCAML said:

Can I ask one question as a neutral?

Why is there never rumors about you guys going for a left back?

I've seen all kinds of things this summer, from a CB, to a Callum replacement, to obviously a RW, but nobody ever mentions Newcastle going for a LB when IMO that's the biggest need in your whole team. At least for RW you can put Gordon there and Barnes left, but LB is so so empty. Burn and Hall just don't cut it IMO

We think Hall is the long term plan, whether that works or not is a bit up in the air. In the meantime, we have Kelly, Burn, Livramento and Trippier who can all, at a push, cover that role effectively enough. We don't have that kind of cover at ST or RW, so I guess it's about priorities and seeing what Hall develops into.

12 minutes ago, J7 said:

He was unbelievable for Bournemouth, but it still went stale at the end. We slapped them about and won 4-1 down there with Bruce as manager.

I don’t want him to go, but what is happening at the time and the form is still pretty important when decisions are made on any manager.

If that's what's happening here, for whatever reasons, then it's an unbelievably compressed version of it. He was at Bournemouth for the best part of 12 years.

I think we're making a tragic mistake if we're messing with what he's done so far. I'm all for the DoF/Manager model, but Howe was doing it, we had it in our hands, it was working and we look like we're throwing the potential of that away for someone whose best achievement is Spurs coming 3rd in a two-horse race. I already want rid of Mitchell tbh, I'm all in on Howe.

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If that's what's happening here, for whatever reasons, then it's an unbelievably compressed version of it. He was at Bournemouth for the best part of 12 years.

I think we're making a tragic mistake if we're messing with what he's done so far. I'm all for the DoF/Manager model, but Howe was doing it, we had it in our hands, it was working and we look like we're throwing the potential of that away for someone whose best achievement is Spurs coming 3rd in a two-horse race. I already want rid of Mitchell tbh, I'm all in on Howe.

I would argue it was not working when we had that mad dash to raise 70m in 48 hours or face a 10 point deduction

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm in for the person(s) who will make the club progress. Hopefully that will be the people currently in post, but if not then the Chairman has some decisions to make. The club will always comes first not individuals

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I'm in for the person(s) who will make the club progress. Hopefully that will be the people currently in post, but if not then the Chairman has some decisions to make. The club will always comes first not individuals

Agreed.  

Eddie has the most credit in the bank out of the 3 we talk about. But I suppprt Newcastle United, not Eddie Howe.  

Just now, Jack27 said:

I would argue it was not working when we had that mad dash to raise 70m in 48 hours or face a 10 point deduction

It's a fair argument to make, but in terms of risk v reward it was the right approach and we were ridiculously unlucky not to make Europe even after the adversity we overcame. That would have made the needed outgoings much more manageable 

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I don't think that changes anything from what either of us have said tbh. That person has to be Eddie Howe. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think that changes anything from what either of us have said tbh. That person has to be Eddie Howe. 

I'm sure the Chairman will judge all involved at the end of season, unless results drop off. As I said the club always comes first. 

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We were a bad injury/season for Minteh away from having to sell a crown jewel. We were lucky. Risk to reward is out of whack because we won’t attempt to do that again (hopefully). 

The problems is we might not be left a choice, if those players want to move. By some accounts, the owners/executives were expecting Bruno's sale price being met. I've said since last season that this was an important season. Failure and we could see the club having to reset everything in terms of replacing high profile players 

Edited by et tu brute

28 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

There's typically always this unhealthy attachment to individuals that are then considered to be capable of no wrong doing.

Man City and Arsenal have set the standard with a strong structure where everyone is aligned and have left everyone behind.

Liverpool this summer got their structure revamped putting some heavy hitters in place, and had a change of manager and hardly made any signings like ourselves, and it looks like they are making a very smooth transition having lost one of the best managers in the league in Klopp.

Villa have had a strong structure in place for a little bit now and are looking like they will be going from strength to strength and are likely going to start edging away from us now.

Chelsea have been an abomination of a club, just throwing any and everything at the wall, hoping something sticks, but unfortunately it's starting to look like they may have something, off the back of first revamping their whole structure.

Even Man Utd are trying to get their house in order nowadays, and so will likely soon start pushing forward too. We've seen for years now how letting the manager dictate things at that club has led to a mish mash of players and no cohesion or continuity. And this with them hiring some big name managers even.

Meanwhile ... people at Newcastle are pining for Amanda coming back with her husband, even though neither had a background in football as executives, and didn't seem to be managing things behind the scenes as well as they could have. And they just want Howe to be allowed to work as he pleases with no one questioning or challenging him, in the better interests of the club.

If we're not careful we might be royally fucked. And this will start to become more evident.

If Villa get back to back Champions League qualification and Chelsea get themselves back in there, we might be locked out for a while. As they will be in even greater position to build their squads up further.

Meanwhile we are still using the likes of Burn, Murphy and Longstaff regularly, and none of these would even get into their 25 man squads.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

There's typically always this unhealthy attachment to individuals that are then considered to be capable of no wrong doing.

Man City and Arsenal have set the standard with a strong structure where everyone is aligned and have left everyone behind.

Liverpool this summer got their structure revamped putting some heavy hitters in place, and had a change of manager and hardly made any signings like ourselves, and it looks like they are making a very smooth transition having lost one of the best managers in the league in Klopp.

Villa have had a strong structure in place for a little bit now and are looking like they will be going from strength to strength and are likely going to start edging away from us now.

Chelsea have been an abomination of a club, just throwing any and everything at the wall, hoping something sticks, but unfortunately it's starting to look like they may have something, off the back of first revamping their whole structure.

Even Man Utd are trying to get their house in order nowadays, and so will likely soon start pushing forward too. We've seen for years now how letting the manager dictate things at that club has led to a mish mash of players and no cohesion or continuity. And this with them hiring some big name managers even.

Meanwhile ... people at Newcastle are pining for Amanda coming back with her husband, even though neither had a background in football as executives, and didn't seem to be managing things behind the scenes as well as they could have. And they just want Howe to be allowed to work as he pleases with no one questioning or challenging him, in the better interests of the club.

If we're not careful we might be royally fucked. And this will start to become more evident.

If Villa get back to back Champions League qualification and Chelsea get themselves back in there, we might be locked out for a while. As they will be in even greater position to build their squads up further.

Meanwhile we are still using the likes of Burn, Murphy and Longstaff regularly, and none of these would even get into their 25 man squads.

Yep. Even if it is painful in the short term, we have to move forward, and that means getting the structure right from top to bottom. Howe has done a fabulous job in getting us here, but unless he wants to become the DOF himself, he'll have to learn to work with one. Whether that's Paul Mitchell or someone else.

I assume 99% here are Newcastle United over “individuals” but if you one for second think Eddie Howe isn’t thinking what’s best for the fans and his players over the shield that is NUFC than you need a reality check. Mitchell and Eales are suits who bounce around from job to job. Remember that before you want to make sweeping comments.  Remember we’re fans. This man has done nothing but think of what’s best for US and the players. 

@KaKa you’ve mentioned a ton of other clubs who had better head starts, an actual functioning academy, an actual functioning infrastructure at football and corporate level and no Mike Ashley. Sadly, we are an absolute anomaly of football. All we had to prop us up was a rabidly supportive fan base and a 52,000 stadium. Other than that, we were fucking useless in every single area. Our best academy talent consists of Sean Longstaff, Lewis Miley and the now gone Elliott Anderson. It should in theory, based on all the new rules created to fucking hold us back, take us a decade+ to compete yet we have a manager who cobbled together the 4th best points total since he joined our club.

Mate I will always love your passion and analysis on talent out there, but you absolutely need to step off the gas pedal with some of your takes as of late. Have some patience. Respect EH. He’d school every single fucking person on this forum on football. 

Edited by Kanji

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

I assume 99% here are Newcastle United over “individuals” but if you one for second think Eddie Howe isn’t thinking what’s best for the fans and his players over the shield that is NUFC than you need a reality check. Mitchell and Eales are suits who bounce around from job to job. Remember that before you want to make sweeping comments.  Remember we’re fans. This man has done nothing but think of what’s best for US and the players. 

@KaKa you’ve mentioned a ton of other clubs who had better head starts, an actual functioning academy, an actual functioning infrastructure at football and corporate level and no Mike Ashley. Sadly, we are an absolute anomaly of football. All we had to prop us up was a rabidly supportive fan base and a 52,000 stadium. Other than that, we were fucking useless in every single area. Our best academy talent consists of Sean Longstaff, Lewis Miley and the now gone Elliott Anderson. It should in theory, based on all the new rules created to fucking hold us back, take us a decade+ to compete yet we have a manager who cobbled together the 4th best points total since he joined our club.

Mate I will always love your passion and analysis on talent out there, but you absolutely need to step off the gas pedal with some of your takes as of late. Have some patience. Respect EH. He’d school every single fucking person on this forum on football. 

Don’t think he would tbh

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Really depressing to know how many absurdly talented but out of work football analysts and world class managers are on this forum.

It’s an insane talent pool tbf

12 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Yes, we were already miles behind in infrastructure and now we have a manager that doesn't seem to be open to the setup, and so how does this help us now?

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yes, we were already miles behind in infrastructure and now we have a manager that doesn't seem to be open to the setup, and so how does this help us now?

Based off what? Has anyone ever asked him what his views on the scouting, data etc going forward? Was it ever his remit to do that when Ashworth, Mr Center of the Wheel, was there? Nearly all of his signings have been hits. He didn’t want to lose Minteh. He’s asked if the previous scouting was not fit for purpose and he very clearly said the signings I was part of were hits. Which they were.