Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

13 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Our current transfer strategy is a mess, your new guy wanted shot of Joelinton instead of giving him a new contract, I think Ashworth was right but Howe had all the power and Amanda granted him his wish.

I disagree with this part. Assuming we were going to sell Joelinton to alleviate the PSR issues, we managed to solve that by selling our 6th choice midfielder and a winger who never played a minute for us. 

You could argue that was mostly good fortune on our part and we played it badly with trying to flog Gordon etc but we did manage to get through to June 30th without losing a first team player which was a win in my book.

29 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I disagree with this part. Assuming we were going to sell Joelinton to alleviate the PSR issues, we managed to solve that by selling our 6th choice midfielder and a winger who never played a minute for us. 

You could argue that was mostly good fortune on our part and we played it badly with trying to flog Gordon etc but we did manage to get through to June 30th without losing a first team player which was a win in my book.

We were scouting Ederson from Atalanta heavily I’d presume Ashworth’s plan was to upgrade and bring a better quality player in to make the next step.

Joelinton for all his qualities isn’t good technically and I think once his physicality goes he’ll decline quickly, I don’t think not offering Joelinton a new contract was entirely down to PSR, but more evolving and taking us to the next level.

Edited by Whitley mag

There are huge question marks about Joelinton being a player good enough for the next step tbf. I’d have him in my starting 11 at the moment, but he’s hardly irreplaceable. He’s not had a good start to the season and was running around like a headless chicken yesterday. It’s hardly outrageous that a DoF may have thought we needed someone with more technical ability in there. 

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

You simply cannot pick a manager over a director of football. 

Howe is class like. I've always rated him. I was on here fighting his corner when most of the board didn't want him when he was appointed. But what if he's given all the power and it goes tits up for him? You're at square one immediately. I know all too well what that's like. 

You need a director of football to build the identity of the club, and any future managers should be able to step into that identity and Newcastle would still be Newcastle. I don't think Liverpool have missed a step with Slot replacing Klopp, and I don't think City's next manager will have any issues keeping them at the top. It's the result of a long term process. 

The point is that Howe has done this as the de facto DoF and he's built an identity that's:

1. Perfectly in keeping with our historical identity (under Keegan basically)

2. The fans love and

3. Has brought success

We need a DoF to continue that identity and ensure that it's sustainable and usable from manager to manager, but the idea and growing rhetoric that we need to go back to the drawing board and that what Howe's doing won't work, can't be modified etc strikes me as insane.

There seems to be a bit of a presumption that if someone has Director of Football as their job title, everyone should bow to their knowledge and experience and give them the keys to the club. In our case even to the extent of giving them carte blanche to transplant their own identity onto a club with an existing one that the majority loved, was successful, and just needs some refinement to fall in with PSR/give us saleable assets.

If you look at Howe's history through the lens of him as a DoF at Bournemouth and here it makes much more sense.

At Bournemouth his signings were for the most part fantastic and made millions for the club. He left, leaving the club in a much better position and with an identity that he built and that still exists there since he left. Sounds like a successful DoF to me.

Edited by Kid Icarus

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The point is that Howe has done this as the de facto DoF and he's built an identity that's:

1. Perfectly in keeping with our historical identity (under Keegan basically)

2. The fans love and

3. Has brought success

We need a DoF to continue that identity and ensure that it's sustainable and usable from manager to manager, but the idea and growing rhetoric that we need to go back to the drawing board and that what Howe's doing won't work, can't be modified etc strikes me as insane.

There seems to be a bit of a presumption that if someone has Director of Football as their job title, everyone should bow to their knowledge and experience and give them the keys to the club. In our case even to the extent of giving them carte blanche to transplant their own identity onto a club with an existing one that the majority loved, was successful, and just needs some refinement to fall in with PSR/give us saleable assets.

If you look at Howe's history through the lens of him as a DoF at Bournemouth and here it makes much more sense.

At Bournemouth his signings were for the most part fantastic and made millions for the club. He left, leaving the club in a much better position and with an identity that he built and that still exists there since he left. Sounds like a successful DoF to me. 

There's absolutely no doubting the job Howe has done with the control he has had at both Bournemouth and yourselves, but the stature of the clubs at the time allowed it IMO. 

Newcastle could become a huge club globally. Man City have done it in a relatively short period of time. You can't have the manager dictating everything at a huge club. I'm not sure there's ever been a case of it being successful. Even Ferguson for us didn't have huge control over transfers and all decisions were made with him and  Edwards/Kenyon/Gill. 

I have to say though I'm fairly surprised it doesn't seem to be working with Howe and Mitchell, as on paper it seems a good match. 

Edited by Froggy

27 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There's absolutely no doubting the job Howe has done with the control he has had at both Bournemouth and yourselves, but the stature of the clubs at the time allowed it IMO. 

Newcastle could become a huge club globally. Man City have done it in a relatively short period of time. You can't have the manager dictating everything at a huge club. I'm not sure there's ever been a case of it being successful. Even Ferguson for us didn't have huge control over transfers and all decisions were made with him and  Edwards/Kenyon/Gill. 

I have to say though I'm fairly surprised it doesn't seem to be working with Howe and Mitchell, as on paper it seems a good match. 

I don't think it's a case of dictating or suggesting that, it's that he's already established our identity. He didn’t do it as a dictator, he did it alongside Nixon and with the support of Staveley and Ghodoussi and probably Tindall and his coaching staff.

He has the CV as a DoF and the success as a coach  to make throwing the baby out with the bath water a suicidal decision imo.

The identity part for Newcastle should already have a line drawn under it AFAIC, it's done.

Every Pep team is built in his identity, likewise Klopp and there's always the expectation that they can't succeed unless they get x, y, and z. I'd expect the same will apply with ETH, despite having Ashworth in place.

And when they don't have the tools yet (Pep 16/17, Klopp 15/16, 16/17, 17/18) they don't succeed. People might scoff at drawing that comparison but you have to do the same with Howe, he's more than proved his worth, and we'd be absolutely crazy to undermine and potentially lose him so Mitchell - someone whose greatest achievement as a DoF is building the Spurs side that came 3rd the year Leicester won the league - can bring in some Poch regen.

7 hours ago, Froggy said:

Fucking hell I've agreed with just about everything you have said today in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Maybe the thing that's existed at any sort of professional scale for about five minutes needs a bit more strategic input than the men's first team.

Nah Yorkie, IF they haven’t spoken for weeks and he speaks to Langley daily something is obviously wrong. 

40 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Fucking hell I've agreed with just about everything you have said today in this thread. 

I've told you before. It might take one year, it make take five years, but I'll win you over eventually. :tino:

12 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Mitchell’s first test 

Article sounds like pure bait. Without any regard to the merits of extending them, that's been made up to needle the situation.

16 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Those all make sense, we’d be stupid not to offer them new contracts for slightly different reasons

I would look into selling Burn and Schar this upcoming summer

I’d keep Longstaff around for club HG status