Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

16 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Glad he has a history of getting his hands dirty with recruitment. Rather than that whole "chilled out entertainer" vibe 

Was going for “chilled out gardener” obviously.

Makes sense now that we didn't just go straight for Spors once Freedman turned us down. Presume the local press were pushing for information, getting nothing from us, Spors' side just saying "We haven't been approached". Meanwhile we were obviously pushing hard for Mitchell.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Without a doubt. The whole financial hole thing is odd as they would have known the issue for a year prior. 

It's like everything has slid into play over a week or so. I think less than chaotic, it has been more cold and calculated. The fees we got for two young players will allow us to reinvest this summer. This is also a model that this new DOF will be entrusted to continue to deliver on - especially given it's exactly what Leipzig/Monaco/Southampton have done. It's one way we will be trying to bridge the FFP gap over next couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Last week was panicked and chaotic.

Was it though? I thought it might have been, but now I'm not sure given the wider picture. Certainly not to the extent that was made.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

For all the talk about us being panicked and chaotic over the PSR deadline, we're suddenly starting to look quite slick again. I wonder if things have been overplayed.

There was a dump of news about movements over 2 days, and then a few days later this. It's all been agreed and in the pipeline a lot longer than the headlines would suggest by the sounds. 

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

It's like everything has slid into play over a week or so. I think less than chaotic, it has been more cold and calculated. The fees we got for two young players will allow us to reinvest this summer. This is also a model that this new DOF will be entrusted to continue to deliver on - especially given it's exactly what Leipzig/Monaco/Southampton have done. It's one way we will be trying to bridge the FFP gap over next couple of years.

You’re 100% right, we have to trade because we can’t bridge the financial gap overnight, FFP is so restrictive. This appointment certainly feels indicative of that as he has a canny record and is known to be quite ruthless. 

I hope Eddie is fully onboard with this and the club have broke him in detail about how we have to operate. 

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

There was a dump of news about movements over 2 days, and then a few days later this. It's all been agreed and in the pipeline a lot longer than the headlines would suggest by the sounds. 

Yes this is exactly it. The two outward deals have clearly been lined up for ages - if Bruno's release clause wasn't activated. Anderson going to Forest seemed panicked because it didn't break until fake deadline day, but that's just because it wasn't in the public realm like this deal wasn't.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yes this is exactly it. The two outward deals have clearly been lined up for ages - if Bruno's release clause wasn't activated. Anderson going to Forest seemed panicked because it didn't break until fake deadline day, but that's just because it wasn't in the public realm like this deal wasn't.

Yep, definitely. Both stories were broke by Ornstein as well weren't they? He's had them for a while and was allowed to release them once all things were ready to go. Ashworth's agreement in with all that too. It wasn't last minte panic, we've all just fiound out about it at the right time for them. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Posted (edited)

Newcastle United are delighted to announce the appointment of Paul Mitchell as the club's sporting director.

A former player whose playing career ended in early retirement due to injury, Paul is a well-respected sporting executive with a track record of success.

His non-playing career started in scouting and recruitment, initially at MK Dons, before prominent roles at Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur, RB Leipzig, Red Bull Soccer International and AS Monaco.

His recruitment success as director of scouting and analysis at Southampton helped the club to secure promotion back to the Premier League and become regular competitors in the top half of the table. A unique and progressive recruitment strategy enabled the Saints to outperform many of its rivals despite having a lower budget, and he further cemented his reputation during a successful spell as head of recruitment at Tottenham Hotspur.

Paul joined RB Leipzig in 2018 as head of recruitment and club development, combining traditional scouting with data-driven analysis, before moving into a new role as technical director in Red Bull's global football division.

In 2020, he joined AS Monaco as the club's sporting director, devising and implementing a long-term development plan and transforming the club’s performance and profile, as well as implementing improvements at Belgian club Cercle Brugge, part of the ownership's portfolio.

Paul Mitchell said: "It's with immense pride that I accept the responsibility of being Newcastle United's new sporting director.

"I've seen the recent growth and ambition of the club. This, plus the amazing fan base, made the decision to join an easy one.

"I can’t wait to get started and help continue the organisation's growth and long-term competitiveness in all areas of elite football performance."

Darren Eales, Newcastle United's CEO, said: "We are delighted to welcome Paul to Newcastle United. He brings a successful track record and wealth of experience to the club.

"His extensive and diverse experience in football leadership, cultural change and recruitment mean he is the ideal person to lead our sporting directorate.

"We look forward to working with Paul and supporting him in our pursuit of long-term, sustainable success."

Edited by Irish Magpie

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Was it though? I thought it might have been, but now I'm not sure given the wider picture. Certainly not to the extent that was made.

That is because it worked out ok in the end.

That doesn’t mean the days leading up to the sales were not panicked or chaotic though, which the outcome doesn’t take away from.