Defenders - Who can we get?

stozo

Just been thinking about defenders we cxould go after and not that many came to mind.

Bale - Southampton want £7m and bigger clubs are supposedly interested.

Upson - Birmingham want a massive fee and there is meant to be atleast 10 clubs after him

Baines - Possible but it would take a huge fee to get him, around £7m I'd imagine.

Neill - Looks set for Liverpool

Distin - Possibility but man City seem to want to hold on until end of the season

Bridge - Seems happy at Chelsea and has signed a new contract.

The only two who weve been linked with I can see us having a chance with is Warnock and Ben Haim. Anyone else got any idea of potential available defenders.

Upson wont go for a massive fee as his contract is up soon.

Normally I'd agree but with so many clubs hovering I get the feeling one of them will eventually get desperate and I think Birmingha know that and will hold out until the last minute if neccesary to get there price. They have already proven they are no mugs with Heskey and Pennant.

Johny Heitinga is good defender who can play at CD and RB.He is 23 and is holland international,has played in the world cup and in the european championship.Recently Fiorentina were linked with him and the fee was about 3-4m euro

Not very expensive but i dont think Roeder is after him :confused:

About Upson if Chelsea's interest is serious i think he will go there because they can offer alot of thigs that the other clubs cant

Guest smoggeordie

Upson wont go for a massive fee as his contract is up soon.

It isn't mate, he signed a brand new one when they went down last season.

Story on SSN today saying Upson will not sign a new deal with Brum??

he former Arsenal star is being chased by a number of clubs including Liverpool, Portsmouth, Tottenham and Aston Villa as he looks to leave St Andrews.

Upson's current contract expires at the end of the season and Birmingham could be forced to cash in on him rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer.

The player's representative Barry Nevill confirmed Upson was seeking to move on and would turn down Birmingham's offer of a new deal.

"Matthew will not be signing a new contract at Birmingham," Nevill told the News of the World.

"He believes his future lies elsewhere and has ambitions to play at the highest level.

"Even if Birmingham make him an offer he can't refuse ... he will refuse it!"

However, Blues chairman David Gold is not giving up hope of keeping Upson at St Andrews and believes the central defender can achieve his ambitions at the club.

"He is desperate for success," said Gold. "Yet unless one of the top four come in for him, he has as much chance of achieving it here, once we are back, as with any other Premiership club.

"But if we get the right offer, we'll consider it."

Got to start by acknowledging that we've probably got very little money to spend, I'll be surprised if our winter spending tops 5 million, and not at all surprised if its all loans, freebies and undisclosed fees.

At this point it might be good to ask 'what would Harry Redknapp do' in which case we'll be signing defenders from Eastern Europe, Portugal and Africa who none of us have ever heard of. An alternative question might be 'what would Sam Allardyce do', the answer to which is loot the left overs of the big clubs. Real Madrid's defence currently includes

*  2- Michel Salgado

*  3- Roberto Carlos

*  4- Sergio Ramos

*  5- Cannavaro

* 11- Cicinho

* 15- Raúl Bravo

* 21- Iván Helguera

* 22- Paco Pavón

* 24- Álvaro Mejía

So the horrifying prospect of an end of contract overpaid Roberto Carlos turning up for a lucrative six month spell rears it's head. Milan are having a shocker (12th in Serie A), so a clear out might be on the way there. They've got

Cafu

Maldini

Kaladze

Costacurta

Nesta

Simic

Marek Jankulovski

Giuseppe Favalli

Daniele Bonera

Giving us the option of signing two left backs even older than Roberto Carlos. And at 41 years of Age CostaCurta's got all the experiece we could want...

Johny Heitinga is good defender who can play at CD and RB.He is 23 and is holland international,has played in the world cup and in the european championship.Recently Fiorentina were linked with him and the fee was about 3-4m euro

I'd be stunned if he went for that little (unless his contract is up) , and I wouldn't want to see him play at centreback, he really is a full back. More generally Defenders like Jaap Stam are not common in Holland, I'd be a little unsure about how he'd cope with a league full of big strapping centre forwards....

Guest nufc1984

Upson will go for more than his ability dictates and he is very injury prone. No thanks!

I agree.

I'd like us to sign Baines, but he is Wigan's current captain and I doubt they'd sport that happening!

Upson will go for more than his ability dictates and he is very injury prone. No thanks!

I agree.

I'd like us to sign Baines, but he is Wigan's current captain and I doubt they'd sport that happening!

I reckon for the price of Bale (ie £7m plus) we could possibly tempt them to let him go.

Guest smoggeordie

Meanwhile, United full-back Gabriel Heinze has admitted his future is in the hands of the club.

A number of clubs including Paris Saint Germain and Valencia are thought to be courting the Argentine ace.

Heinze has lost his place in the starting XI to Patrice Evra this season and the defender claims an offer has been made for his services from a mystery club.

"Everything is now in the hands of Manchester United," Heinze told the People.

"I know there has been an offer, but that is all I know at the moment.

"But I am not going to let it worry me.

"All of my physical problems have gone and I'm fit to play.

"I don't have a problem with Ferguson."

If we're that club i'd absolutely f***ing love it! :lol: He was excellent for United last season.

Highly doubtful though, i reckon.

He was injured most of last season. ;)

Meh. Whenever he played for United, he was a very competent left-back.

He's experienced and has got undoubted quality, and he's proven in this league. As Jon said, Heinze would be perfect.

If we could get Lauren from Arsenal aswell, i'd be ecstatic and we'd have two very good and very experienced, very good defensively, wing-backs. But i'm probably pushing it.