Steve Bruce Toon Heartache

Skirge

awwwwwwwwwwwww  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Steve Bruce admits he still thinks about his decision to turn down the offer to manage boyhood club Newcastle United.

The Premiership side came calling two-and-a-half years ago following their decision to dismiss Sir Bobby Robson, only for Bruce to spurn their advances.

Earlier this season and with 'Bruce out' chant ringing around St Andrews, the Newcastle-born tactician must have been ruing his decision to turn his back on a switch to St James' Park.

However, Bruce has overseen a transformation of the club's fortunes and they now play Newcastle on Saturday in an FA Cup tie sitting top of the Championship and favourites to win promotion.

It is, though, with genuine affection that Bruce talks of Newcastle as he reflects on the biggest decision of his career in management.

"I am a typical Geordie, who is black and white through and through," he told the Sunday Express.

"You talk about big decisions in your life. To get the opportunity to manage them was probably the biggest compliment I've had in football.

"Bloody hell, Newcastle wanted me!

"It was the hardest decision I've had to make. But to have taken the job would have meant letting down the people here at Birmingham.

"I always wonder whether I've closed the door on a dream. As a player I'd always wanted to play for them and then I was given the chance to manage them."

Wonder where the hell we'd be now if we'd appointed him.

I tell you what, if someone had offered me one of Steve Bruce or Graeme Souness after Bobby was sacked, i would have taken Souness. Cannot stand Bruce.

If he loved Newcastle that much he'd have went, quite simple really.

Robson turned down Newcastle in 1997 due to loyalties elsewhere, do you doubt his credentials as a Newcastle fan?

Robson had only been at Barca for about a month though and is an honorable bloke compared to Bruce, look at the time Bruce had been at Brum for, and look at what he'd previously done to Palace.

Guest MagicNumber9

Fcuk me, where have went wrong after sacking Robson? Has Sheperd thrown the towel in straight away???

I mean, Souness, Roeder, trying to get Bruce, i mean fcuking hell, nothing like wanting to take the club forward or anything but these are all piss poor decicions/choices!!  bluesigh.gif

I like the guy actually. He could have easily taken the easy option in 2004 and joined us, but he stayed loyal to Brum. They were doing very well at the time. He then got relegated and just 3 months ago looked like his loyalty was going to backfire. The fans were on his back and he's turned it around brilliantly.

I still wouldn't touch him with a bargepole next time the Newcastle job becomes available like, but the "plastic Geordie" b*llocks is harsh. Is Carrick a plastic Geordie just because he hasn't played for us, etc?

I hate this bloke. I knew this would be coming up soon, it is impossible for the man to complete a sentence without fitting "I'm a Geordie like, me ye knaa" into it.

Just fuck off Steve.

Exactly why he was Shepherds choice, imagine those two together?

Actually it would probably end up in a big punch up as they try and "out geordie" each other.

Its almost a given that Birmingham will dump us out of the FA Cup next weekend. Wouldnt be a big deal tbh, the UEFA Cup should be our priority.

Its almost a given that Birmingham will dump us out of the FA Cup next weekend. Wouldnt be a big deal tbh, the UEFA Cup should be our priority.

Hmm... for once, depressingly, i'm totally un-bothered about the FA Cup this year. I can't be arsed to watch us squeeze past small teams and get hammered by Chelsea or Man Utd in the quarters again. Aint worth the effort. We've got a chance of doing something special in the Waffa.

Hmm... for once, depressingly, i'm totally un-bothered about the FA Cup this year. I can't be arsed to watch us squeeze past small teams and get hammered by Chelsea or Man Utd in the quarters again. Aint worth the effort. We've got a chance of doing something special in the Waffa.

Exactly. Why waste the stamina on a fruitless FA Cup run?

Sounds all well and good him sayin he couldn't leave Brimingham to come to his 'home town club' showing loyalty, but does anyone think he would even have thought about it for a second if it was Manchester United instead of us?

He'd have been off like a shot IMO, citing "You can't turn down the likes of Man Utd, such an honour as an ex-player, blah-de-blah".

Guest Invicta_Toon

f***ing obvious Birmingham will never out perform Newcastle

Bruce is small time, and he f***ing knows it himself

We are now going to get hammered in the FA cup.

says the small time East End villain  bluelaugh.gif

I tell you what, if someone had offered me one of Steve Bruce or Graeme Souness after Bobby was sacked, i would have taken Souness. Cannot stand Bruce.

We would still be around mid table, yet we wouldn't be in as much debt and wouldn't have wasted so much money, mainly because Bruce wouldn't have forced the likes of Bellamy and Robert out of the club.

We would still be around mid table, yet we wouldn't be in as much debt and wouldn't have wasted so much money, mainly because Bruce wouldn't have forced the likes of Bellamy and Robert out of the club.

Agree with Bellamy but Robert did fuck all when he left!