Stopping Smoking

Dokko

Yep, about to do it, well hopefully.

Tried Zyban a few year back and it worked, kept me off them for over 2 years, but old habits die hard, and somehow i got back on them.

Easy really, go out, get drunk, have a smoke, just the one, then the next thing you know, couple of weeks later you wake up with a hangover and a crushed box of 10 Lambert & Butler.

So that was about 3 years ago, and haven't stopped since.

At xmas time i was smoking 30 a day, and with me knowing i want to quit, i thought i'd try and weed off em slowly.

So i cut it down to ten a day, which am smoking even less of, and have been since 1st Jan 06.

So next stage, change to lights, which i've been doing all week. Couldn't taste em at 1st, and wanted more, but now they just do the same job.

So theorectically, i'm smoking about 4 a day. 8 lights, which are about half of regulars, so not bad from 30 a day.

Going to the Hypnotist next Tuesday, costing £50, and hopefully that will change the way i think about them. It doesn't stop the nicotine craving, which is why you need to WANT to stop, but i thought getting as much of it out of my body possible for the Hypnotist can only help.

Planning to stop my morning smoke, as soon as i get up, that starts tomorrow. It should of started today, but i forgot. (yeah right) But its important to break this cycle, if i can do that, am half way there IMO. Even if i leave it for an hour after i wake up, that's still enough, for me its the one i love most, so that needs to stop.

God its all so difficult, but i can't think of myself anymore, got a little one on the way, and its important to me i don't die in less than ten years of self inflicted cancer.

That's the word that keeps going through me...CANCER...Fuking horrible...But got to keep remindind myself of it. It's what i did last time, and it worked, i just forgot about it when i was pissed.

But this time should be easier. I was always out getting trollied and that just isnt the case anymore. Settled with nights in with the lass, and just chilling, instead of skirt and pint chasing.

Besides with her being pregnant, she cant be arsed to go anywhere near a pub, plus she stopped as soon as she found out, and hates the smell of me!!!

So its got to go. Its not costing me the fortunes it once was, but it still needs to be kicked to the curb, its just so darn hard, but am trying, and need to keep trying.

Come on me!!!

Stop ya bastard, stop!

Changed.  bluewink.gif

Good luck, mate.  Hadn't seen my sisters in 4 years until this year, but back then I watched them quit.  Thought they'd done really well.  Two kids later, 4 years on, they're puffing again.  :lol:

Not that bad though, one packet a week, for the 'stressful' times. 

Changed.  bluewink.gif

Good luck, mate.  Hadn't seen my sisters in 4 years until this year, but back then I watched them quit.  Thought they'd done really well.  Two kids later, 4 years on, they're puffing again.  :lol:

Not that bad though, one packet a week, for the 'stressful' times. 

Cheers & Cheers.

I need to stop 100%, too much of an addictive personality, totally weak, and it would just snowball into 30 a day again.

Wish i could just have one no and then, its what i wanted when i stopped, it just doesn't happen.

More fool me for starting again, but this time when i've stopped, i'll stay stopped forever.

I had one on Thursday, otherwise none since the match.  But then I've not been out drinking.

Friday night is the big test.  blueuhoh.gif

Good luck, always the hardest, let ya mates know yer trying to stop or you'll have em in ya face every 5mins with a tab.

I started smoking in 1986, stopped in 1999, started again after 5 and a half years in 2004 and then decided on sunday morning, when I realised that I had nne, and couldn't be arsed to go and buy some, that I was stopping again.

Touch wood, I haven't had one since.

Good a reason as any.

I cannot stand knowing i have no tabs for the morning, in fact i cannot sleep making it ten times worse!!!

Well I gave up a week past Sunday and so far I havent had any problems, cold turkey though its the only way, if you do patches etc then at the back of your mind is the thought that when they finish what you going to do?

So its pure cold turkey from 20 a day, decided to go the whole hog as well so Ive given up coffee which for me was a major smoking influence, theres just nothing like a coffee and tab.

So in the last 11 days Ive gone from 20 tabs, about 8-10 strong black coffees with 4 sugars apiece and lazy food and moved to no tabs, 2 cups of tea a day with 2 sugars in, a herbal tea for breakfast, at least 2 litres of water a day, health(ier) food, taking the stairs instead of the lift (which considering I live on the 8th floor is quite a step). In another week or so I'll start the running and back to the football, gawd Im gonna be a lean mean fighting machine when it comes to this game ;)

Yep, about to do it, well hopefully.

Tried Zyban a few year back and it worked, kept me off them for over 2 years, but old habits die hard, and somehow i got back on them.

Easy really, go out, get drunk, have a smoke, just the one, then the next thing you know, couple of weeks later you wake up with a hangover and a crushed box of 10 Lambert & Butler.

So that was about 3 years ago, and haven't stopped since.

At xmas time i was smoking 30 a day, and with me knowing i want to quit, i thought i'd try and weed off em slowly.

So i cut it down to ten a day, which am smoking even less of, and have been since 1st Jan 06.

So next stage, change to lights, which i've been doing all week. Couldn't taste em at 1st, and wanted more, but now they just do the same job.

So theorectically, i'm smoking about 4 a day. 8 lights, which are about half of regulars, so not bad from 30 a day.

Going to the Hypnotist next Tuesday, costing £50, and hopefully that will change the way i think about them. It doesn't stop the nicotine craving, which is why you need to WANT to stop, but i thought getting as much of it out of my body possible for the Hypnotist can only help.

Planning to stop my morning smoke, as soon as i get up, that starts tomorrow. It should of started today, but i forgot. (yeah right) But its important to break this cycle, if i can do that, am half way there IMO. Even if i leave it for an hour after i wake up, that's still enough, for me its the one i love most, so that needs to stop.

God its all so difficult, but i can't think of myself anymore, got a little one on the way, and its important to me i don't die in less than ten years of self inflicted cancer.

That's the word that keeps going through me...CANCER...Fuking horrible...But got to keep remindind myself of it. It's what i did last time, and it worked, i just forgot about it when i was pissed.

But this time should be easier. I was always out getting trollied and that just isnt the case anymore. Settled with nights in with the lass, and just chilling, instead of skirt and pint chasing.

Besides with her being pregnant, she cant be arsed to go anywhere near a pub, plus she stopped as soon as she found out, and hates the smell of me!!!

So its got to go. Its not costing me the fortunes it once was, but it still needs to be kicked to the curb, its just so darn hard, but am trying, and need to keep trying.

Come on me!!!

Stop ya bastard, stop!

best of luck!

our lass went to the hypnotist on tuesday just gone. i know it's only a couple of days but she hasn't had one since. the hypnotist told her that tabs would make her feel sick. sure enough she tried one about 6 hours after seeing the hypnotist and bowked up all over. can't stand the sight of them since then.

Guest Howaythetoon

Well I gave up a week past Sunday and so far I havent had any problems, cold turkey though its the only way, if you do patches etc then at the back of your mind is the thought that when they finish what you going to do?

So its pure cold turkey from 20 a day, decided to go the whole hog as well so Ive given up coffee which for me was a major smoking influence, theres just nothing like a coffee and tab.

So in the last 11 days Ive gone from 20 tabs, about 8-10 strong black coffees with 4 sugars apiece and lazy food and moved to no tabs, 2 cups of tea a day with 2 sugars in, a herbal tea for breakfast, at least 2 litres of water a day, health(ier) food, taking the stairs instead of the lift (which considering I live on the 8th floor is quite a step). In another week or so I'll start the running and back to the football, gawd Im gonna be a lean mean fighting machine when it comes to this game ;)

If I was to stop, that would be my way too and I agree, a coffee and a tab, oh, heaven. That's why I'll not give up, enjoy it too much and hey, we're all going to die anyway, best enjoy our time while we can ;)

Guest NewcastleRocker

If I was to stop, that would be my way too and I agree, a coffee and a tab, oh, heaven. That's why I'll not give up, enjoy it too much and hey, we're all going to die anyway, best enjoy our time while we can ;)

Thats no logic HTT!

Thats no logic HTT!

What's illogical about it?

Guest MagicNumber9

I quit smoking on Jan 1st this year, been 19 days since ive touched one. And since then, ive been on the p!ss twice, and still not had one  bluebiggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Anththegeordie

Just thought i would look for a post about this subject as i have stopped. Started the patches on wednesday and they are doing the trick so far. already feel as if i can breath lol and taste things i was on 20 a day.

with the patches i have felt a few side affects like tiredness and crazy nightmares but the main thing is that they are working. Also walking and drinking fruit juice as it flushes the nicotine out of your system. There are a few reasons why i am stopping 1 my heath 2 i lost my antie died on friday and also my dad in 2003. and 3 the cost. so i am determied. bluebiggrin.gif

I had one on Thursday, otherwise none since the match. But then I've not been out drinking.

Friday night is the big test. blueuhoh.gif

You're the one who started to prove to your brother that you could quit, right?

I am sorry for either:

a) mistaking you for someone else

b) laughing at you!

bluelaugh.gif

I had one on Thursday, otherwise none since the match. But then I've not been out drinking.

Friday night is the big test. blueuhoh.gif

You're the one who started to prove to your brother that you could quit, right?

I am sorry for either:

a) mistaking you for someone else

b) laughing at you!

bluelaugh.gif

bluelaugh.gif

That's the way I tell it.  Actually I worked in a call centre and EVERYONE smoked.  It was the only way to get a break.  So I started having a couple a day.  Me brother had a go at me (as I had at him for ages) so I told him I would be able to stop as soon as I left the place, it's easy.  5 years later my cough is black  bluecry.gif

Now I do a job I like I NEVER smoke at work. Only on a weekend.  Total reversal.

I choose when my son was born 4th jan this year to give up. Working in clubs all my life before I changed career last year I was on about 30 a day.  A bit of a mistake really trying to give up with a 2 year old daughter running around, a newborn crying all the time and a really post natal depressed other half. On top of that 3 weeks into giving up I decided to refurbish my new business, more pressure added. Anyway it went well at first as it was a novelty. I was already on lights a few months before in preperation, even though i read somewhere that lights were not any better for you if you inhaled hard on them.  I cut right down to none apart from the odd pressure point cigarette.

After 4 weeks of my other half and myself being totally grumpy arseholes arguing for no reason i started smoking about 4 a day/night when i was working and more when i was off at home.

So a few more weeks on I have come to terms with the fact that i am going to have to do this in 2 stages, stage 1 completed .... 2-4 lights a day. I think i will try completely again once my son is sleeping through the night and the misses is less stressed out. 

Good luck.

Guest Gemmill

I mock you weaklings for a) starting cos you thought it looked cool and b) being unable to stop.  bluebigrazz.gif

Guest Bartos

I used to smoke 25 cigarettes a day, but it's been 2 years now that I haven't touched a cigarette, did it without any patches or something like it, just cold turkey. And I have to say, when it comes to your health the difference is remarkable, when I play football now or when I go jogging it's just so much more fun than a few years ago, back then it was a nightmare and now it just seems like there's so much oxygen in my lungs  bluebiggrin.gif. Another imprtant fact is that there are more and more place where you can't smoke, it used to be a nightmare for me as I was constantly craving for a cigarette but now obviously this doesn't bother me at all. I think the first month is the most difficult period, once you get past that you're really on your way, after the first month I really haven't any hard moments anymore.

I quit smoking a month and 2 days ago, cold turkey, from smoking about 25 cigarettes a day for about 9 yrs.

No tricks, no medication, none of that bollox. The secret? Just dont smoke! It sounds nuts...but the feeling that ur beating the habit by sheer determination is the greatest thing about it. It IS all in our heads. nowt more nowt less.

When you feel like having one...just don't. Simple.

I've started cycling twice a week, playing football 3 times a week, and doing 1 hour stretches everyday. Man it feels fucking fantastic!!

I'll smoke a Cuban cigar once a week on Fridays at the office....but that;s about it.

• 1 year later...