Glen Roeders new years resolutions

Lloydie

Being a manager you have two kinds of work to do. There's the day in, day out business of doing whatever it is you do. That might be running an office, winning football games or making sure the bar opens on time every day. Then there's the other kind, the putting stuff in place, making changes kind.

So you're Glen Roeder and you know there are a few things you need to do. You've got to win some games, buy a left back and all the rest. But what else do you need to be getting on with? Here's my list.

Sort out the scouting

Finding good players cheap isn't something we seem able to do. During the world cup Shearer was despatched to scout Kuyt and on the basis of three games for Holland decided he wasn't what we wanted.The whole thing didn't strike me as terribly professional, especially since Kuyt is a class player but had a poor world cup.

When Man U signed van Nistelrooy they had something like 18 scouting reports on him going back years. That's the sign of a system that's working well and takes the risk out of signings. The last really good signing (little money, great player) we made was N'Zogbia, more of that please.

Build up the Academy

This looks to be going alright, but it needs to keep improving. If I was an academy player now I'd be looking at Taylor, Huntington and the rest and believing that I could make it too. That's a good thing, so we should aim to build on the recent success.

Get some succession planning in place

I once saw a piece on (I think) the Australian rugby team. For every position they knew who was the #1 choice, who was cover for them, who was #1 in the under 21's and who was cover for them and so on, right down to the youth system.

It'd be great to think we were looking at our squad over the same timespan, or at least 3-5 years out. (that's two managers right?)

For example Butt's likely to retire or move on in another two or three years, so we need to start scouting and working on replacements now or see if there's someone in the academy who can become that kind of player, rather than getting all surprised when it happens.

Those are my three things I'd think about. What would yours be?

I would agree with the first two points Lloydie.

However, the third point wouldn't be a good idea as it is never a good idea to have 1st and 2nd choice players, as it is important that players aren't guaranteed starting berths as it improves the motivation and morale within the whole squad.

Guest smoggeordie

Mainly he wants people to learn how to spell his name.

You've spelled "optimistic" wrong in the message on your avatar!

Where?

Probably would have been a good idea to look it up before saying that.

Agree with all of the above, except why would Roeder worry about "succession" when he's only on a relatively short contract?

That area should be one of Fat Fred's resolutions, as it depends on him appointing the right manager for the long term. Even his one decent managerial appointment, Sir Bobby, was the wrong man in this sense – simply too old to lead the club into the future.

Guest exilim

Where?

:lol: