Kanu wants to leave Portsmouth

stozo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/6222245.stm

Portsmouth striker Kanu has called for the club to allow him to leave Fratton Park to join Ajax.

The 30-year-old is the club's top scorer with nine goals but is keen to make a return to the Dutch club.

He told the Vanguard newspaper: "I want to go to Ajax. Portsmouth should be grateful for what I have been able to do for them and allow me to go."

And boss Harry Redknapp has admitted he would not stand in the way if defender Sol Campbell wanted to join Chelsea.

Chelsea are facing a defensive crisis with John Terry out with a back injury.

And Redknapp said he would be powerless to prevent the former Spurs and Arsenal centre-back Campbell, 32, from leaving if he wanted to leave for Stamford Bridge.

He said: "You wouldn't want to lose him but if he said he wanted to go what could you do? Not a lot really.

"I hope Chelsea are not interested in him. If I lose him I am in trouble."

Kanu's future is of a more pressing concern, with the former Arsenal and West Brom forward keen to make a recreate the glory days of the mid-1990s at Ajax.

And he also hinted that Tottenham midfielder Edgar Davids could join him in Amsterdam.

He said: "I have been talking to Edgar Davids and a couple of the other guys who shaped Ajax in the mid-1990s and we believe we can re-create the atmosphere if we return to play for the club.

"I am waiting for Ajax's offer. I have told Portsmouth I want to leave. My mind is made up. I have great memories of Amsterdam and I know great things can happen there if we return."

Can't believe that tbh, Harry has got Kanu's career back on track and then Kanu says he wants to leave.

Guest STaylor87

He's a bastard in my opinion.

Harry has got him back in form, and he's scoring for fun, now he's saying he wants to leave! :|

I'd be REALLY pissed off if I was a Portsmouth fan...

Harry has got him back in form, and he's scoring for fun, now he's saying he wants to leave! :|

Again though, difference between that, and Solano? Solano wasn't getting a regular game for us, went to Villa, was excellent for a short while there, then as soon as his beloved Newcastle came in for him, he was off like a shot.

Guest TheDutchman

Saying that though, I suppose Ajax will always be HIS club. A bit like Solano with Newcastle I guess.

Kanu is very popular in Amsterdam. The people love him for his earlier period at Ajax. But (as an Ajax fan) I wonder if its a good idea to buy him. To dinho: Please let Davids stay in England!

Again though, difference between that, and Solano? Solano wasn't getting a regular game for us, went to Villa, was excellent for a short while there, then as soon as his beloved Newcastle came in for him, he was off like a shot.

I don't think you understand. :roll:

Solano came to us, therefore it's ok.  In fact, it's good.

Guest STaylor87

I understand where you're coming from, but think back to the summer, when Kanu was a free agent...

NOBODY wanted him, yet Harry took a chance, and brought him in.

Now he's one of the Premiership's top scorers!

I can see that Ajax is "Kanu's club", but I think he's being very ungrateful to Harry asking for a move already! :|

Guest Phil K

Can't believe that tbh, Harry has got Kanu's career back on track and then Kanu says he wants to leave.

I can.

Modern footballers are selfish, lazy, none too bright, and totally and utterly disloyal.

Can't understand Redknapps ambition if he's willing to let go of two of his best players. Madness.

gives him a good excuse for when they get beat tbh, like all those injuries they had against us i.e. Glen Johnson and that was it. Complete cunt is Harry Redknapp

Guest thenorthumbrian

Yeah, signing Kanu and Davids will restore Ajax's glory days! :roll:

Might be that the conveyer belt of talent has dried up if Ajax have to go for those two...

Especially this particular line:

He told the Vanguard newspaper: "I want to go to Ajax. Portsmouth should be grateful for what I have been able to do for them and allow me to go."

Outrageous!

Guest teepee

i'd let him leave - he's had half a good season, and all he ever had before was half a decent season for the gunners - i just hope and pray we aren't going for him...

I can.

Modern footballers are selfish, lazy, none too bright, and totally and utterly disloyal.

I remember the old days:  Footballers carrying old ladies across the street on their backs ALL DAY, while reading Chaucer, and playing for their hometown club for 20 years.

WHAT HAS OUR GAME BECOME?