Dangerous dogs

Syrette

Strike again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6222319.stm

BBC NEWS

Girl killed by pit bull terrier

A five-year-old girl has been killed and her grandmother seriously hurt by a pit bull terrier at their family home on Merseyside.

Ellie Lawrenson was mauled to death and Jackie Simpson, 46, suffered serious injuries in the attack in St Helens.

Ms Simpson, who is recovering in Whiston Hospital, managed to lock the dog in a run outside the home in Knowles House Avenue, Eccleston.

The pit bull terrier was destroyed by police following the attack on Monday.

Officers who rushed to the scene shortly before 0430 GMT found Ellie bleeding to death in the living room where she had been attacked.

Ms Simpson, who shared the home with Ellie's aunt and uncle, had been bitten on her arms and legs.

Serious injuries

Her injuries are described as "serious but not life threatening" and police have revealed that she may have to undergo surgery.

It is not clear why the dog attacked the child and her grandmother but an investigation into the incident is under way.

Superintendent Jon Ward, operational manager for the St Helens region, said that the dog had not been reported to police for violent behaviour before.

"This is such a tragic incident," he said.

"We attended the scene, by which stage the dog had been shut away down the side entrance of the house.

"When officers arrived it became apparent from a very early stage that the girl had tragically died as a result of the attack.

"The ambulance service did what it could for her but unfortunately she died at the scene."

Police dog handlers who arrived minutes later decided the dog, called Reuben, had to be shot as soon as possible.

Mr Ward added: "They made a decision as to whether it was safe to control the dog and seize and safely remove it.

"The assessment was that that couldn't be done safely so the dog was humanely destroyed at the scene around 5.40am this morning."

Detectives understand Ellie's parents were not in the house at the time of the attack.

Police believe Ellie's parents went out to celebrate New Year's Eve, leaving Ellie with her grandmother and when they returned, Ellie asked to stay there.

They are then thought to have left the property at about 0340 GMT, shortly before the attack.

Fireworks investigation

According to police, Ellie's uncle - who is thought to own the dog called Reuben - was not at home when the attack happened.

However, Mr Ward said Ellie regularly stayed at her grandmother's house so police believe she knew the dog well.

A large part of Knowles House Avenue was cordoned off with police tape on Monday afternoon as forensic officers continued to examine the end-of-terraced house where Ellie was mauled.

A white and yellow forensic tent was attached to the front door of the property which is believed to be owned by Ellie's great-grandmother.

A police spokeswoman said Ellie's body was removed from the house at around 1400 GMT.

She confirmed that several members of Ellie's family had arrived at the property in the morning wanting to see her body.

She said: "They were obviously distressed and distraught at not being able to see Ellie, but we couldn't let them in while the body was still in situ and while forensic officers were still at the scene.

"There was some shouting, there are a lot of high emotions flying around."

Ms Simpson's fiance, who did not wish to be named, said the family were suffering from shock but were comforting each other.

"They are all in shock, they're too upset to talk," he added.

"Ellie was just the loveliest girl you could hope to meet."

Dorothy Watkinson who lives near the family home told BBC News that Ellie was used to dealing with the dog.

"I'm really sorry because she was a nice little girl," she recalled.

"I've seen her at the gateway with it, stroking it. It never turned on her like that."

However, she added that the animal was troublesome.

"It barked its head off all day long. It was a menace," she said.

It is unknown at this stage whether Ellie was asleep when the dog pounced but officers will be investigating whether New Year's Eve fireworks may have scared the dog, prompting the vicious attack.

Pit bull terriers are among a number of dog breeds banned from being bred, sold or exchanged under the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act.

The law also bans all dogs "appearing... to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose."

Very sad but so hard to stop.

Pit bull terriers are among a number of dog breeds banned from being bred, sold or exchanged under the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act.

The law also bans all dogs "appearing... to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose."

So how the fuck did they have a pit bull 16 years later?

So how the fuck did they have a pit bull 16 years later?

Illegal brreding.

Guest Magnetic North

The owner, believed to be Ellie's uncle, was warned about the dog's behaviour just months before the attack, St Helens council said.

This character should get a lethal injection too, and I'm deadly f***ing serious lads.

its the idiot charva types who are so stupid they keep a dog bred to fight with a small child

TBH ANY dog could be a danger if its pushed hard enough but sommat liek a Pit Bull is designed to be aggresive

SAme as leaving a loaded revolver around teh living room IMHO

It's made worse by people who don't want their dog to be friendly (What's the point in being a wanker with a pit bull if it doesn't make you look geet hard by trying to eat passers by?) and don't train it to not be agressive.

Guest Gemmill

Had a big alsatian once and was out walking it, when around the corner comes a pitbull (or generic charva don't-I-look-nails equivalent).  Now our dog was massive but this little fucker came tearing at her and clamped itself on her throat.  I'm trying to drag it off and our dog is yelping obviously hurt, and the useless prick that owns it comes sauntering round the corner, realises what's going on and legs it over giving it "Sorry mate, sorry mate", managed to drag his dog off and put it on the lead.  I went fucking mental at the little twat, he just kept going "sorry, sorry" like a naughty schoolboy, but people shouldn't own these twatful dogs, and they certainly shouldn't be out walking them without a lead.  Anyone that keeps one when they have small children wants their fucking arse kicked.

Guest Magnetic North

Had a big alsatian once and was out walking it, when around the corner comes a pitbull (or generic charva don't-I-look-nails equivalent). Now our dog was massive but this little fucker came tearing at her and clamped itself on her throat. I'm trying to drag it off and our dog is yelping obviously hurt, and the useless prick that owns it comes sauntering round the corner, realises what's going on and legs it over giving it "Sorry mate, sorry mate", managed to drag his dog off and put it on the lead. I went f***ing mental at the little T***, he just kept going "sorry, sorry" like a naughty schoolboy, but people shouldn't own these twatful dogs, and they certainly shouldn't be out walking them without a lead. Anyone that keeps one when they have small children wants their f***ing arse kicked.

They're as dangerous as the killer dogs and should get the same injection. Problem solved.

That report doesn't mention what was on the news this morning.  A confirmed report that the owner had already received a written warning after his dog mauled another animal and the suggestion by a man that he had to use a stick to fend of the same dog when it went for his face...which he says he reported.

My stomach sinks every time I walk past a house on my street where they have 2 doberman and a little 3 year old that plays with them in the garden.  Even though I understand they're infinitely more loyal and protective than a pitbull, I still imagine how easily they could turn if the bairn starts pissing them off.

That report doesn't mention what was on the news this morning.  A confirmed report that the owner had already received a written warning after his dog mauled another animal and the suggestion by a man that he had to use a stick to fend of the same dog when it went for his face...which he says he reported.

My stomach sinks every time I walk past a house on my street where they have 2 doberman and a little 3 year old that plays with them in the garden.  Even though I understand they're infinitely more loyal and protective than a pitbull, I still imagine how easily they could turn if the bairn starts pissing them off.

Having a small child myself, this is the kind of thing I just can't fathom. What is in these people's heads? There is a small part in all dogs heads that is still unpredicatable.

I've had a bullterrier for the last ten years, what was I meant to do when my daughter was born? Get him put down. IMO he's as much of a part of the family as she is and i wouldn't part with him.

Thing is with these type of breeds is they need to be handled correctly and their fine, it's these arseholes who just get them to pose with that do my head in. In fact staffys are notorious for being good with children, my dad bred them for years and I grew up with them from being a toddler and have to say we never had any problems other than their attitude towards bigger dogs which for me is something you'll never get out of 'some of them'.

Taking all of that into consideration though i would never leave my son or daughter alone in the room with him as you just never know and it would only take a minute for any dog to do serious damage, as has been proven a lot lately.

In the Clifton study, in more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal being studied.

As you say, no matter how well behaved your dog is, you never know.

Saw a lad walking behind his pitbul today without a leash, never mind the muzzle required by law.

Guest Knightrider

Tragic story :(

I have a 6 year-old staffie bitch, great dog, but a people hater. I wouldn't leave my youngest nephew with her or any kid for that matter, alone. Despite her size and zero record of savagery (apart from what she did to my sisters dog*). She easily gets excited, jumps up and is strong as an ox and I know what she could do to a small child because I've seen what she does to tires.

That's my dog, who is treat like your average pet, lots of playing, walks, and over loving and should really be soft as shite, but I guess the breed makes her an unknown when it comes to temperament. She would never turn on me, although when I get up to go to the bog in the middle of the night or a car drives along the street she barks (I call her Skitsy :lol:), but others...

*Savaging my sister's dog

That's how I got my dog, she was about 2 and attacked the older male Staffie who is the most gentle dog you could ever wish to meet, a brilliant dog (but smelly and daft - he's like a puppy). Strange thing is they were like best mates the two but she just turned on him one day and tore a chunk out of his eye socket, you could see bone and all sorts and he had to wear one of them dog things for weeks to stop him scratching at it. Wor sis with her kids couldn't risk it and instead of getting it put down, I took it on. If I ever had kids I'd get rid of my dog, even though it would kill me to do so because she's a brilliant dog.

Anyway in my experience its never the dog's fault, its the owners' fault. If a dog shows signs of agression (any) towards people, never mind children, then that's a safe bet that the dog shouldn't be left alone at any time with a kid, never. Also you get owners who turn their dogs into savages with ill-treatment or basically teaching them to bite things. We have a tire in the backgarden and lots of other doggy exercise things and my dog is left to ints own devices to use them, I don't teach it to target the tire like some idiots do with their dogs, you know the type, the people Gemmill described.

I hate that with dog owners.

Anyway, shocking story that about the poor bairn, sends shivers down your spine and whoever is responsible for the dog wants a good fucking kicking.

Anyone notice the timings on these events?

The Times article i read this morning said that the little girl was going to be picked up at 2 or 3.40am but the little girl decided to stay with her grandma. (cant remember exactly)

WTF is a little girl of 5 doing up at 3am? People who allow kids of that to stay up that late are fucking idiots in the first place. Her life had been in danger for a while with parents and carers as thick as that and a dangerous dog in the house.

I despair at people sometimes. 

Anyone notice the timings on these events?

The Times article i read this morning said that the little girl was going to be picked up at 2 or 3.40am but the little girl decided to stay with her grandma. (cant remember exactly)

WTF is a little girl of 5 doing up at 3am? People who allow kids of that to stay up that late are fucking idiots in the first place. Her life had been in danger for a while with parents and carers as thick as that and a dangerous dog in the house.

I despair at people sometimes. 

blueyes.gif

I've had a bullterrier for the last ten years, what was I meant to do when my daughter was born? Get him put down. IMO he's as much of a part of the family as she is and i wouldn't part with him.

Thing is with these type of breeds is they need to be handled correctly and their fine, it's these arseholes who just get them to pose with that do my head in. In fact staffys are notorious for being good with children, my dad bred them for years and I grew up with them from being a toddler and have to say we never had any problems other than their attitude towards bigger dogs which for me is something you'll never get out of 'some of them'.

Taking all of that into consideration though i would never leave my son or daughter alone in the room with him as you just never know and it would only take a minute for any dog to do serious damage, as has been proven a lot lately.

My daughter was born in 1990. We had a mongrel that was 4 years old and had previously shown no aggressive tendencies at all. After the birth of our daughter the dog 'changed' and did show start to show these signs. I took the advice of the local vet and of a professional dog trainer who took the dog away for assessment. We stuck with it for awhile (using stairgates all over the place to ensure the dog couldn't get at the baby) as these people tried to modify the behaviour of the dog, but they failed. We had the dog put to sleep. Had to do it.

We have 2 Labradors now, lovely dogs, but we didn't get them until 3 years ago, both of my kids being obviously quite a lot older now.

Interesting stuff HTL, they were on about it on Five Live this morning and it was suggested that sometimes dogs can get jealous of babies. Sounds crazy but there must be something in it.

Also, there was a lady whose golden retriever mauled her son, proving it's not just the acknowledged 'nasty' dogs that are capable of this kind of thing. It's just mental to leave your young child with such a powerful animal that though domesticated is still out of your ultimate control.

Guest Knightrider

My daughter was born in 1990. We had a mongrel that was 4 years old and had previously shown no aggressive tendencies at all. After the birth of our daughter the dog 'changed' and did show start to show these signs. I took the advice of the local vet and of a professional dog trainer who took the dog away for assessment. We stuck with it for awhile (using stairgates all over the place to ensure the dog couldn't get at the baby) as these people tried to modify the behaviour of the dog, but they failed. We had the dog put to sleep. Had to do it.

We have 2 Labradors now, lovely dogs, but we didn't get them until 3 years ago, both of my kids being obviously quite a lot older now.

Bet you it was a sickner having to put it down but you can't take risks where bairns and dogs are concerned, I'd do the same, or I'd hope I would if my dog's behaviour started changing around kids. Mine has been good as gold around kids but does jump up and gets excited and I'm always mindful of that. Still, I wouldn't leave it alone with a kid, even though I don't think it would ever bite one.