My FA Cup Dilemma

Yorkie

I love the FA Cup. It's a brilliant and wholly unpredictable competition that i would love, more than any other competition that we enter, for us to win at some point in my lifetime. I'm not really bothered about the fact that we don't challenge for the Premiership title anymore; though i didn't really understand football in 1996, and i'm sure those that did would have contrasting opinions. The FA Cup is just magic and there is nothing more tense than a tight, late-round cup game at St James' Park - they're awesome.

However, i can't help but think that we're chasing a lost cause right now. Let's be realistic - it's majorly unlikely that we're going to win the competition, this season especially. We've had our chances in the past - but in the two 'recent' successive seasons that we've reached the final, we've played lesser teams and gotten mullered at the final hurdle. And that keeps happening.

The last thing that i want to see us do this season, is clock up more needless appearances against lesser teams, then reach the quarters or semis and get hammered by the Man Utds or the Chelseas. In my honest opinion, it just isn't worth it and it is a waste of energy, in a busy season. We're far better off concentrating our efforts on the UEFA Cup, a competition which we could do this or that ( we don't really know) or, as it were - the Carling Cup.

It wasn't a coincidence that i was engrossed in the league cup this year, as apposed to my favourite - the FA Cup. Because i genuinely thought we had a chance of winning it. The main cup however, i realistically think otherwise and it sickens me somewhat.

Should the lesser side beat us on Saturday, i'll be disappointed, but i know i won't be sticking my head in the oven like i would have been three/four years ago.

I love the FA Cup. It's a brilliant and wholly unpredictable competition that i would love, more than any other competition that we enter, for us to win at some point in my lifetime. I'm not really bothered about the fact that we don't challenge for the Premiership title anymore; though i didn't really understand football in 1996, and i'm sure those that did would have contrasting opinions. The FA Cup is just magic and there is nothing more tense than a tight, late-round cup game at St James' Park - they're awesome.

However, i can't help but think that we're chasing a lost cause right now. Let's be realistic - it's majorly unlikely that we're going to win the competition, this season especially. We've had our chances in the past - but in the two 'recent' successive seasons that we've reached the final, we've played lesser teams and gotten mullered at the final hurdle. And that keeps happening.

The last thing that i want to see us do this season, is clock up more needless appearances against lesser teams, then reach the quarters or semis and get hammered by the Man Utds or the Chelseas. In my honest opinion, it just isn't worth it and it is a waste of energy, in a busy season. We're far better off concentrating our efforts on the UEFA Cup, a competition which we could do this or that ( we don't really know) or, as it were - the Carling Cup.

It wasn't a coincidence that i was engrossed in the league cup this year, as apposed to my favourite - the FA Cup. Because i genuinely thought we had a chance of winning it. The main cup however, i realistically think otherwise and it sickens me somewhat.

Should the lesser side beat us on Saturday, i'll be disappointed, but i know i won't be sticking my head in the oven like i would have been three/four years ago.

Take your point but I'd much rather try to win as many games in both cups as possible. The further we get, the better. Realistically, we only need to win another 6 games in the league to ensure survival so fuck it - let's go for both cups. The squad is thin at the minute but we'll get players back eventually and may sign a couple in the window. The glass is half full.  :winking:

Certainly Midds, i want to see us win every game, but i'd just rather we stopped chasing lost causes and attempt to win a competition that we can actually do so. I might be looking into a crystal ball here, but i really can't see us winning the FA Cup this year.

Guest FlapjackJoe

Again, maybe I'm the eternal optimist - but why can't we win it?

A mere 2 years ago, Millwall reached the final without playing any Premiership teams on the way there.

And then it's a mere 90 minutes away from the cup.

Certainly Midds, i want to see us win every game, but i'd just rather we stopped chasing lost causes and attempt to win a competition that we can actually do so. I might be looking into a crystal ball here, but i really can't see us winning the FA Cup this year.

Fair enough mate. Suppose we concentrate on the League and sacrifice the cups. Where do you see us finishing in the league? 9th, 10th? I personally think we can write the League off this season - we're not going to qualify for shit through the League this season. So fuck it, let's go for the Cups and see what happens. Get to 42 points in the League and keep our fingers crossed for reasonable draws in the cups.  :) :)

Fair enough mate. Suppose we concentrate on the League and sacrifice the cups. Where do you see us finishing in the league? 9th, 10th? I personally think we can write the League off this season - we're not going to qualify for shit through the League this season. So F*** it, let's go for the Cups and see what happens. Get to 42 points in the League and keep our fingers crossed for reasonable draws in the cups. :) :)

Can't really have read either of my posts properly. I'm suggesting we go hell for leather in the UEFA Cup, or the Carling Cup as it were.

Fair enough mate. Suppose we concentrate on the League and sacrifice the cups. Where do you see us finishing in the league? 9th, 10th? I personally think we can write the League off this season - we're not going to qualify for shit through the League this season. So F*** it, let's go for the Cups and see what happens. Get to 42 points in the League and keep our fingers crossed for reasonable draws in the cups. :) :)

Can't really have read either of my posts properly. I'm suggesting we go hell for leather in the UEFA Cup, or the Carling Cup as it were.

Cheeky little shit!!! :lol: :lol:

I read your post as 'we can't win the cups cos we'll end up drawing Chelsea/Man U/ Arsenal so fuck it'. In my opinion it's exactly the same in the Uefa Cup. As much as i hate saying it - there's a fair few teams who'd batter us as much as those 3 would batter us in the FA Cup.

My mistake though. I thought you meant both cups. Nee harm done.... :oops: 

<<<<< Cheeky wanker.

I'm of the impression that we can beat anyone in the UEFA Cup. Don't really know why, i just have a feeling that we can do it this time. There's some great teams in it, no doubt about it, but the team spirit that we posess - aswell as a cracking atmosphere when we get going - might just help us achieve something really, really amazing.

If we beat Alkmaar (presuming they'll knock out Fener) - it is well and truly on.

<<<<< Cheeky wanker.

I'm of the impression that we can beat anyone in the UEFA Cup. Don't really know why, i just have a feeling that we can do it this time. There's some great teams in it, no doubt about it, but the team spirit that we posess - aswell as a cracking atmosphere when we get going - might just help us achieve something really, really amazing.

If we beat Alkmaar (presuming they'll knock out Fener) - it is well and truly on.

Fingers crossed mate.  blueyes.gif

:winking:

Yes. Our injury crisis is more like a plague.

I'm in two minds. Assuming we have a decent cup run (FA) sooner or later we  would meet the big boys. If we have no more injuries and one or two players back we'd be in with a chance.

In Europe its a different story. I have always found we play better against European teams and can't recall us ever being disgraced. We should win our next round and I think we will play AZ Alkmar. I fancy beating them as they are not performing as well as last year - no longer an unknown. Again, a couple of players back and we have a good chance.

Go for it.

Guest teepee

i can easily see us losing against brum, and even if we win it there is no way that we'll win the cup. there are simply too many better teams in it - and everyone of them will die to win this cup - that is why we haven't got a snowball's chance in hell.....

as for the uefa cup - i think this is our best chance of a trophy in quite a while - the next two hurdles are not too scary, and after that who knows....

but my realistic expectations are: we just manage a win against birmingham but are subsequently beaten in the next round, we progress to the semi's in the uefa cup and that'll be it, but we manage a decent run in the league and finish 8th or 9th...... not much of a season really.

I have always found we play better against European teams and can't recall us ever being disgraced.

Missed the Lisbon game then? ;-)

But yes, i know exactly what you mean. And it is on the basis of this that i feel we can do very, very well in Europe this year. We appear to perform better against the better teams. Having Fener, Vigo, Palermo in our group - three tough European outfits - we saw some cracking football from our boys and some real, dogged, fighting spirit that won us nine very impressive points. Had we have played poor teams, say four Levadias in our group, the games would have been poor and we would have been rubbish. And i fear for the Zulte matches, despite my confidence.

I'm very optimistic about the UEFA Cup this season.

Guest nufc 4 life

We can't think we are already thorugh i'm not tyring to be a pessimist, but although Zulte Waargem are a tin team that not many people have heard of they hvae got this far, there is still a channce of an upset and i know for one that Glenn will almost certainly take the necessary precautions to make sure we win the game i.e get all the feedback hje can on Zulte and put out his strongest side, i am however cautiously confident of us progresiing at least to the next round and hopefully even further.

Does anyone have any ideas he would could play if we win our next 2 games

Guest nufc 4 life

Read thy thread.

Fenerbahce or Alkmaar.

i knew that i meant if we beat them.

If we win our next 4 games then lol

Read thy thread.

Fenerbahce or Alkmaar.

i knew that i meant if we beat them.

If we win our next 4 games then lol

Oh right, no - i don't think so. The quarter-final and semi-final draws are made after the Last 16 has been played.

Guest andynufc84

Yep totally agree

We CAN win the UEFA a really do beleive it

I would say is the only way we can win the FAC would say for example, we met chelsea or man u at SJP at the quater final stage, like a few

seasons ago when we knocked out chelsea 1-0, we play the game of our lives and somehow manage to win. We would then have to hope we meet maybe a lesser premiership side in the final, west ham for example - however this scenario is highly unlikely! I would hate to go to the new wembley and get humiliated...

We just seem to have a knak of beating sides in the UEFA cup, what would concern me are the english sides who are left in the competition. It would be typical of NUFC to capitulate against  tottenham or blackburn.

Hopefully we can do it, this is newcastle, god knows.....

To win the FA cup is going to be very difficult.

In the Uefacupthey are some tough teams but we seem to play very well there though i think in all the 4 games we weree very lucky especially against Palermo but that is football.

We have been in the Uefa cup before and with some good draw we can reach the final :thup:

After that everything is possible :lol:

And i think that if we will the Uefa cup we will get alot of money from tv rights

People would go nuts if Roeder didn't take the FA cup seriously - afterall as the media will point out relentlessly "Geordies love the FA cup"

Problem is I don't think he can rest anyone, we've essentially got a back 4 of the youth team and a winger and Pattison is our first reserve for the midfield, Roeder's already said none of the dozen players injured will be back so it's not as if he has a load of options, and if he plays the likes of O'Brien, Carroll etc. you're bordering on farcical. Avoid an upset and if we get a home tie to a lower team in league one or two then fair enough, throw the youthies in.