Whale up the Thames

Guest NewcastleRocker

Guest NewcastleRocker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4632194.stm  for pics

Whale swims up River Thames

Marine conservationists fear for the survival of the 6m-long northern bottle-nosed whale that entered the River Thames and swam upstream to the Houses of Parliament today. Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) crews and marine veterinarians have been monitoring the juvenile whale since this morning.

‘We’re currently trying to turn it back from Battersea towards the estuary,’ Glen Monroe, helmsman at Chiswick RNLI, told DIVE. ‘We have no idea why it has travelled this far up river.’

Liz Sandeman, director of operations at Marine Connection, joined RNLI crews to examine the whale but said she did not believe the mammal would survive.

‘I’m not feeling hopeful for the animal because it has been in the river for a few days,’ Sandeman told DIVE. ‘Upstream the river gets narrower and shallower. We have a marine vet at the scene and I’m in contact with the British Marine Life Rescue team there. We definitely need to keep stress levels down and boat traffic away.’

Sandeman said it was unclear why the whale had entered the Thames.

‘We don’t see these animals off the UK very often, so to have a bottle-nosed whale in the River Thames is extremely unusual,’ she added. ‘There is another whale at Southend-on-Sea, which in my opinion is connected.’

The British Divers Marine Life first received reports about two whales swimming in the river on Thursday, but the group only found one and assumed it had passed the Thames Barrier. However, a member of the public spotted the whale on Friday morning and the RNLI was alerted.

It is the first time the species has been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913. According to Marine Connection, the last sighting of the species in the UK was recorded off Scotland two years ago.

The northern bottle-nosed whale usually feeds in deep water and dives to depths of up to 3,000m. It is rarely found in water less than 800m-deep.

More to follow…

Guest NewcastleRocker

Whale up the Thames

Sounds like a profanosaurus entry.

Aye it does actually.

hahaha, any ideas what it could mean though?

Guest Kitty-Sniper

no doubt about it :p

i dont think that the other whales will mind this one being removed from the gene pool tbh, the themes of all places :lol:

when its eyes started dissolving you'd think he'd of turned back

no doubt about it :p

i dont think that the other whales will mind this one being removed from the gene pool tbh, the themes of all places :lol:

when its eyes started dissolving you'd think he'd of turned back

I'm suprised it hasn't chocked on a pram now TBH.

Guest NewcastleRocker

hahaha, any ideas what it could mean though?

It's a metaphor for the looseness of a ladies batter box.

"Here, NewcastleRocker, I shagged your ma last night and it was like a whale gaan up the Thames!"

- Graeme Souness Nov 2005

:tongue3:

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif