A Quick Question With Regards To A Young Alan Shearer

Tooj

When Al was at Southampton was he the same kind of powerhouse player? as whenever I've saw pictures and footage of him at Southampton he really was quite skinny and had a small frame compared to later on when he seriously bulked up.

Don't know what he was like for them, but generally, Southampton fans/experts don't regard Shearer as one of their great players, and many seem to like ignoring the fact that he ever played for them.

Well considering he played about 20 games for them. :?

Cliff Bastin played about 15 games for Exeter City before going to Arsenal and getting that famous goalscoring record, yet one of the stands at Exeter is named after him.

Shearer played 118 games for them over 4 years by the way.

Guest Gemmill

Don't know about his Southampton days, but his head is nearly as big as T27's these days.  He's starting to morph into Andy Potato Head Gray.

Don't know what he was like for them, but generally, Southampton fans/experts don't regard Shearer as one of their great players, and many seem to like ignoring the fact that he ever played for them.

I know at times he operated in a front 3 with Le Tiss and Wallace. His goal scoring record at Southampton was pretty average then as soon as he went to Blackburn it just took off.

Cliff Bastin played about 15 games for Exeter City before going to Arsenal and getting that famous goalscoring record, yet one of the stands at Exeter is named after him.

Meh.

Meh.

Sorry.

I just want to win most knowledgeable poster this year. ;)

Meh.

Sorry.

Take the Wikipedia stats with a pinch of salt btw. Not saying you are incorrect... it' just that it also has Shearer down for 148 goals in 303 appearances in his ten years at the club.

Meh.

Sorry.

Take the Wikipedia stats with a pinch of salt btw. Not saying you are incorrect... it' just that it also has Shearer down for 148 goals in 303 appearances in his ten years at the club.

Wikipedia also only counts league appearances/goals :p

Guest nufc16

he was still learning his trade at Southampton, then left for a better team once he'd impressed enough, so it's not surprising they don't regard him as highly as us. he was fairly nippy before injuries took hold of him and he became more of a line leading forward.

plus they judge people by le tiss standards, so shearer's impact there pales into comparison to the loyalty and quality le tiss showed for them over his whole career with them.

Guest Knightrider

When Al was at Southampton was he the same kind of powerhouse player? as whenever I've saw pictures and footage of him at Southampton he really was quite skinny and had a small frame compared to later on when he seriously bulked up.

Skinny as a rake from the clips and pics and didn't he mention how he had to beef himself up as he was very skinny? Look at M4s site I'm sure you'll find those comments and various pics of him at Southampton.

He was a quite thin in his early days, but had a powerful shot on him and scored some crackers from long distance.

Good positioning and natural goalscorer even then, did he not score a hattrick on his professional debut against Arsenal?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

aye apparantly he had a very skinny upper torso but the legs of a Brontosaurus, he was always strong for his weight.

According to Shearer's autobiog, he always had natural physical strength, and at Southampton his main focus was working on technique.

Incidentally, he left Southampton for a British record transfer fee. He'd made a very good reputation for himself.

Meat hacker in the making.

http://i13.tinypic.com/2mr9u9i.jpg

Did that photo appear in The Sun when he signed for us, but with the kid on Shearers right showing?

Have you got the full picture with the other kid on as well? Gingerish haired lad with freckles and a chubby face (well he has these days anyway blueyes.gif)

The other kids dad sold the photo to The Sun for £50 apparently.

He was a quite thin in his early days, but had a powerful shot on him and scored some crackers from long distance.

Good positioning and natural goalscorer even then, did he not score a hattrick on his professional debut against Arsenal?

Yes, hat-trick against the Gunners on his debut - was 17 at the time, I believe.

Did you guys know we actually made a bid for him at the same time Blackburn/Man U were in for him !??

I saw Sir John at M&S in the MetroCentre just before Shearer signed for Dalglish and he told me we had bid just over 3m for Shearer, but he knew it wouldn't come off - we were in the First Div at the time, although it WAS our Promotion season, but Shearer wanted to stay in the Prem, and he has said he didn't find out about the Newcastle bid because the manager of Saints was Ian Branfoot, a self-confessed Mackem....no-one is saying Branfoot deliberately kept it from him until it was too late, but you do wonder...

Had he signed for us then, Andy Cole would probably not have been bought...

Physically, he didn't properly develop until he was 21, but was much quicker before his injuries and was very strong at Blackburn ; once saw him shrug off Steve Bruce and leave the rest for dead before scoring his side's second goal to defeat Man U in 1994/95 - a goal which enabled them to win the Prem as it turned out.