Roeder still learning about football management.

James

When away at Manchester United, Roeder opted to play 5 in midfield and sit back and try to hold on to a nil-nil draw. The Red Devils obliterated us - we never got close to taking anything. Post match, Roeder was insistent that his decision to play a 4-5-1 formation was the right one.

Fast forward by a few months to yesterday - when we played a 442 and took the game to Manchester United whenever possible and get a draw. Roeder points out post-match that to get a result against Sir Alex Ferguson's side, you have to attack them.

He may be in his 50's, but Roeder has the experience of Chris Coleman, and both are probably similar in terms of managerial ability i.e. they can get results, get the best out of most of their players, but they cant man-manage certain individuals, and their teams are prone to the odd bad match, generally away from home.

All good managers have had their failures early in their careers, and have learnt from them - see Sir Bobby Robson at West Brom, or even Alex Ferguson in the late 80's as an example.

Because of the higher stakes in the game, Roeder's has had much less chances at management (ignoring stints at Watford and Gillingham as lower league management is a lot different) than the Robson and the Fergusons of the past have had. Subsequently, perhaps he has not been allowed to mature as a manager. Perhaps he genuinely needs to be given time to both build his own team and simultaneously learn how to cut it week-in week-out in the Premiership.

It can be debated that over recent years, high expectations of immediate success from the fans and chairman in the past have perhaps forced a change in regime at the wrong time. Glenn Roeder has undoubtedly demonstrated that he possesses greater managerial attributes than the likes of Souness, Gullit and Dalglish.

Some fans have in the past called for the immediate dismissal of Glenn Roeder. Others, myself included, have previously proposed that he should be dismissed at the end of the season if the team's performance hasn't reached expectations. However, the fact of the matter is that with this club, even a high-achieving manager would need time to get things right, and another managerial change would set us back by another couple of seasons.

Newcastle United may as well give that time to Roeder. After all, rhetorically speaking, have any managers in their late-thirties/early-forties ever won anything?

Guest Gemmill

I've no idea what the thrust of that article was. bluebigrazz.gif  Was it just that Roeder isn't the finished article?

I've no idea what the thrust of that article was. bluebigrazz.gif  Was it just that Roeder isn't the finished article?

I'm saying that he is just as good as Coleman, and that he could peak late like the football player Zidane did.

Guest Gemmill

I'm saying that he is just as good as Coleman, and that he could peak late like the football player Zidane did.

So basically he's average now, but he might get better so we should persevere on the off-chance?  bluebigrazz.gif

So basically he's average now, but he might get better so we should persevere on the off-chance?  bluebigrazz.gif

Which in my opinionh is better than sacking and appopinting another manager. That would set us back for ages. Even Hitzfeld would take years to sort things out, and by that point, he'd probably have been sacked, and we'd be playing non-league football with HTT as chairman, the soccer master as manager and Luque up front.

Guest johnson293

When away at Manchester United, Roeder opted to play 5 in midfield and sit back and try to hold on to a nil-nil draw. The Red Devils obliterated us - we never got close to taking anything. Post match, Roeder was insistent that his decision to play a 4-5-1 formation was the right one.

Fast forward by a few months to yesterday - when we played a 442 and took the game to Manchester United whenever possible and get a draw. Roeder points out post-match that to get a result against Sir Alex Ferguson's side, you have to attack them.

Regarding the tactics/formations above, you also have to remember that the first game we were away at Old Trafford, while yesterdays game was at home.

How many teams come away from OT with points?

It is easier to play more attacking against any team, when at home. Look at the season we beat them 5-0 up here, we only drew 0-0 down there, and had already been beaten 0-4 by them in the charity shield.

As for Roeder position as manager - I dont think he's the long-term solution, as I do question his tactics and selections/substitutions when he has players available.

I think what is 'helping' him at the moment, is that the team/squad is picking itself - and many of the results we get are being seen as a bonus, due to the crippling injury situation - such as yesterday.

If we had a full squad of fit players, including Owen, I think Roeder would struggle, as he obviously has his favoutrite players (Parker/Carr) and would struggle to drop them for others, despite dips in form.

Roeder hasn't done a 'bad' job so far under the circumstances, but I would welcome a top drawer manager in the summer, much like we were promised last time - but I think this will only happen if we are taken over....but that a whole other topic!!!

MJ

Guest nufc16

robson failed at fulham not west brom im pretty sure. and that was his first job, something he learned from. and it's a bit lof a stretch to put man utd in the 80's in the failure column for ferguson, as you can only judge things like that over the span of his time with them. in the 80's he had to complete change everything about the club.

roeder, through his career, has shown himself to be the managerial version of bramble. has talent, made mistakes when younger due to inexperience which people thought he'd iron out when he matured, he's now no spring chicken anymore and is still making the same mistakes, and most likely always will do.