Carcraft

Ally

Looking to buy a car, possibly 2nd hand i'm not really bothered at the minute.

Anyway, anyone ever dealt with Carcraft? The advert is always on the tele and a flick over the website shows they've got absolutely loads of cars for sale, just interested in knowing if they're a bit dodgy with their aftersales etc.

Cheers.  :)

Guest Gemmill

Possibly second hand?  Possibly?  You're a student, if you get anything other than second hand then I'll have to assume that you're a spoilt little rich boy.  bluebigrazz.gif

Carcraft and the likes sell over-priced second hand cars to desperate/clueless people, tbh.

With this, absolute load of shit Carcraft are.

For people with bad credit etc, desperate for a motor.

Went to look at a Mondeo, it was priced at £8500. The similar spec car could be found for around £5500-6000.

Walking out the door and the guy offered it for £7500, the 7000 and finally 6500, but it was already in our minds that we could get better elsewhere, and he could tell we weren't buying.

But i feel sorry for people who walk in there and get blagged. The system they use with the computers is excellent, a real winner, and the salesmen are helpful, not too pushy and well trained, but when we went not even 50% of the cars were prepped, which is disgraceful tbh.

Also if you live in the North East try the car garage across the road from the big ASDA hypermarket in Benton.

Class range of cars, really really good prices.

The big auto park up near the Airport is ok, good choice, but a little overpriced, but nowhere near as bad as Carcraft.

Guest thompers

I've never been and I knew just from the cheesey advert what they were like. If you're after a newish used car, you're probably better off getting the cash together and buying privately. If you must buy from a garage, avoid main dealers and most big 'chains' as they're usually painfully overpriced. Best thing to do is identify what you're after and search the autotrader website :thup:

Possibly second hand?  Possibly?  You're a student, if you get anything other than second hand then I'll have to assume that you're a spoilt little rich boy.  bluebigrazz.gif

Won't be a student when I buy it. ;)

Got about £8000 saved up, plus I can get about £1000 off any new Vauxhall with my Dad's credit card points.

Guest thompers

Got about £8000 saved up, plus I can get about £1000 off any new Vauxhall with my Dad's credit card points.

Aye but they lose £2000 off their value as soon as you stick a single mile on the clock man!

Aye but they lose £2000 off their value as soon as you stick a single mile on the clock man!

I know, which is why i'm thinking 2nd hand. Can get plenty of quality cars that are only about a year old for so much less than a new one.

I know, which is why i'm thinking 2nd hand. Can get plenty of quality cars that are only about a year old for so much less than a new one.

http://www.hensonmotorgroup.co.uk/

Canny place.  :thup:

Usually bang on for price using a parkers guide.

I know they advertise themselves as a car supermarket, but they were actually doing that ten years ago before big companies cottoned on, so dont let that put you off.

Guest thompers

I'm after a new car like, once I recieve my long awaited insurance cheque :D

Struggling to find the right balance between performance/comfort and cheapish insurance. I want something bigger, I've had a Saxo a Clio and a 106 and all have been shite inside. The saxo was the best to drive out of the three and I've been considering a VTR because at group 7 insurance they're reasonable but again just so basic inside.

:(

Struggling to find the right balance between performance/comfort and cheapish insurance. I want something bigger, I've had a Saxo a Clio and a 106 and all have been shite inside. The saxo was the best to drive out of the three and I've been considering a VTR because at group 7 insurance they're reasonable but again just so basic inside.

Go for a nice Focus or Civic, i dont see the point in getting a fast car, speed limits make them pointless.

Reliability, comfort, drivability, cost & economy are far more important imo.

... dont understand why anyone would ever buy a new car, unless you're after some fancy super car or something. (Not a clio :-| ).

p.s. my brother bought a new Saxo VTR. He gave it back after 2/3 years at no extra charge. Most expensive car rental ever.

Every Citroen i've been in has been shit inside. I don't think my 04 Clio is bad at all. Got it new and for the money it was streets ahead of everything else tbh.

I quite like Clio's, but heard some story about the same model you have. Apparantly if you hit a kerb theres some dodgy safety mechanism that means the axel snaps or something. Not sure exactly but my mate's brother is adamant its true.

Guest thompers

Go for a nice Focus or Civic, i dont see the point in getting a fast car, speed limits make them pointless.

Reliability, comfort, drivability, cost & economy are far more important imo.

I don't really need a car. I'd say 90% of my jounrneys are for the fun factor of driving. I've been driving a 1.5 diesel for the last 8 months and after enduring that torture, performance is absolutely key in my next buy.

Every Citroen i've been in has been shit inside. I don't think my 04 Clio is bad at all. Got it new and for the money it was streets ahead of everything else tbh.

I quite like Clio's, but heard some story about the same model you have. Apparantly if you hit a kerb theres some dodgy safety mechanism that means the axel snaps or something. Not sure exactly but my mate's brother is adamant its true.

Sounds like bollocks, but then i've never crashed it. I have scratched my alloys like buggery though. :wullie:

In any case, isn't that what insurance is for? :lol:

Oh, speaking of insurance, heres a question for you car geeks.

I passed my test 4 years ago, but i've always been insured on my Mam's car, not as the named driver. Never crashed it or anything, do I have 4 years no claims or does that only apply to the named driver?

I passed my test 4 years ago, but i've always been insured on my Mam's car, not as the named driver. Never crashed it or anything, do I have 4 years no claims or does that only apply to the named driver?

I'd imaging you've got no years tbh.

Not 100%, maybe it differs, but i think you must be the named driver to have no claims.

Guest thompers

Only applies to the named driver. Some insurance companies will take it into consideration and reduce your premium. My mate got insured with Quinn Direct and he halfed his quote by telling them he was on his parents insurance for a year before.

Edit: halved :D