How do we spend our budget?

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buy one striker (£2-4m) and the rest on defenders.

Bring in a, essentially stopgap, striker onn the cheap and concentrate on the evergreenly more pressing matter - the defense.

Btw - we really don't need a right-back in this window. There's Nobby who's class. After that there's Taylor who's competent. Then there's Ramage and Carr who are both capable-to-poor in that position.

Wheres £10 Million on a DL and a Striker???

This is my vote, as I explained at decent length in the January Transfers thread. A striker is more important this season, but when Owen is back I'd want someone who could do a job for the team but wouldn't be too upset about being a regular 3rd choice. The LB we pick up is someone who should be first choice for a number of years. Judging by recent transfer activity, I would imagine these players would cost a similar amount - it just depends whether or not anyone will sell at this time of the season.

I'd go for Keane, Nugent, Collins John, Viduka, Beattie (in that order) and Bridge, Baines, Shorey, Bale (in that order). Be interesting to find out how much any of those selections would actually cost.

Guest Imperio

Cheap striker, maybe one on loan just to get us to the summer.

Left back

Hopefully just enough to see us secure a safe mid table position.

I have to be honest i'm not too fussed about signing strikers. Even though it would appear we are a little short with only Dyer,Martins and Sibers as recognised strikers we only have to last about 3 months with keeping two of them fit until Owen returns and looking even further Ameobi wil be there for next season. The one thing i don't want us to do is sign someone like Viduka, who i rate but brings no long term advantage to the club. I'd far rather give a youngster like Carroll a chance, even if that is slightly risky.

In the summer i'd like to think strikers won't be a problem as we would have Martins, Owen, Dyer, Ameobi and Sibierski. Easily enough for me.

10m on two fullbacks. Forget about the strikers for now man, we're not going to do much in the league anyways. We have to stay lucky with injuries (which probably won't happen) if we're to have any chance of making a big run and move up the table. I say just let's start over and consider this season a one of transition, one that we can use to sort out the defence for the next few years. Then the summer will arrive where we can evaluate Shola's and Owen's respective physical conditions, then proceed on from there knowing we'll still have Martins who is quality. Much better than spending 5m+ on someone who'll have to sit on the bench when Mickey comes back. Our potential striking partnership has costed us 27m to assemble, no need to spend more money. Just start over. Obviously some people might point out the fact that we're one injury away from being plunged into the relegation dogfight, well, you know what, buying a shit striker for 2m isn't the answer. We need to spend big on a striker if we're to spend because we need goals, and I don't think it's a good idea to spend 10m on a striker who'll have to sit on the bench.

PS. 'You can't lose if you don't concede' 'Defence wins championships' etc. etc. Defenders people, defenders!

I have to be honest i'm not too fussed about signing strikers. Even though it would appear we are a little short with only Dyer,Martins and Sibers as recognised strikers we only have to last about 3 months with keeping two of them fit until Owen returns and looking even further Ameobi wil be there for next season. The one thing i don't want us to do is sign someone like Viduka, who i rate but brings no long term advantage to the club. I'd far rather give a youngster like Carroll a chance, even if that is slightly risky.

In the summer i'd like to think strikers won't be a problem as we would have Martins, Owen, Dyer, Ameobi and Sibierski. Easily enough for me.

Even though Dyer isnt a striker, Ameobi isnt good enough and Sibers will be 33+?

10m on two fullbacks. Forget about the strikers for now man, we're not going to do much in the league anyways. We have to stay lucky with injuries (which probably won't happen) if we're to have any chance of making a big run and move up the table. I say just let's start over and consider this season a one of transition, one that we can use to sort out the defence for the next few years. Then the summer will arrive where we can evaluate Shola's and Owen's respective physical conditions, then proceed on from there knowing we'll still have Martins who is quality. Much better than spending 5m+ on someone who'll have to sit on the bench when Mickey comes back. Our potential striking partnership has costed us 27m to assemble, no need to spend more money. Just start over. Obviously some people might point out the fact that we're one injury away from being plunged into the relegation dogfight, well, you know what, buying a shit striker for 2m isn't the answer. We need to spend big on a striker if we're to spend because we need goals, and I don't think it's a good idea to spend 10m on a striker who'll have to sit on the bench.

PS. 'You can't lose if you don't concede' 'Defence wins championships' etc. etc. Defenders people, defenders!

I went with £10m on a Left & Right back.

Just think the defense and team plays so much better without Carr & Babayaro in it even with makeshift and youth players that if we got two quality players in, we'd be solid at the back, and even better going forward down the wings.

Given the budget I'd go for "Buy one striker (£2-4m) and the rest on defenders".

I think we can improve LB and CB and get a decent emergency striker. We could play Dyer, Milner, and Duff as strikers (Along with the returning Ameobi and Owen). Getting a Beattie or Viduka cheaply would be fine for now.

Yeah, should Martins go down we're screwed, but I don't think that we can afford to buy (on the stated budget) a replacement for him and shore up the defence.  And LB and CB should be the priorities.

I think that Solano has done well enough that RB is not nearly the priority it was.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Distin - 3m out of contract

Sidwell - midfielder with height who attcks thing in the box - 2m out of contract

Kevin Davies - forward big and strong - 2-3mil wont sign contract

Ben Haim - plays anywhere across the back 4 - 2-3mil out of contract

.....................................Given................................................

Solano..............Taylor.........................Distin..........................Ben Haim

Milner................Butt/Parker.......................Sidwell/Dyer...........Duff

.................Davies.................................Martins.............................

Distin - 3m out of contract

Sidwell - midfielder with height who attcks thing in the box - 2m out of contract

Kevin Davies - forward big and strong - 2-3mil wont sign contract

Ben Haim - plays anywhere across the back 4 - 2-3mil out of contract

.....................................Given................................................

Solano..............Taylor.........................Distin..........................Ben Haim

Milner................Butt/Parker.......................Sidwell/Dyer...........Duff

.................Davies.................................Martins.............................

I like that alot :thup: :thup:

A good striker is a priority. After that, we are short of a left back and a commanding centre half. I'm assuming Nobby can continue to perform as he has been doing recently.

That should see us limp home until May.  :roll: :roll:

You can't win if you don't score, and it's better to win 1 game and lose 2 than draw 2 games and lose only 1. Plus we're a long way off needing a good defence to win the league! The defence we have may not be great but it is easily good enough for a European place finish. Even this season where the defence has been absolutely decimated by injury, the reason we're in the lowly position we are now is because at the start of the season we weren't even looking like scoring in some games, much more than because of defensive frailties. Before December we only scored more than 1 goal in the league twice in 14 games.

A number of our injured defenders are close to regaining fitness, but we only have 2 fit forwards for the next 3 months minimum (I'm not counting Luque, and Dyer is no more a forward than Nicky Butt is a central defender). Our priority has to be to get at least 1 more forward in (if only to give us an option on the bench to change a game). Personally I don't mind if it's only a loan, but we need someone.

PS Where's the "We can't afford to spend anything, the club's hemorrhaging money, we're doomed" option for Macbeth and everyone who usually agrees with him?