Has anyone on here ever done coaching? Advice needed please!

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

After a year or so of thinking about training to become a coach with a few half hearted inquiries in between, I've finally took the plunge and registered with the FA's Learning centre and await what I imagine will be a ton of information to sit down to before I decide on some options. I'm contemplating the FA junior team manager's course first at the moment, as a taster to see whether I have it in me to become a coach before advancing to the full FA levels (no point diving in feet first only to find myself unable to swim metaphorically speaking).

I'm so serious about this I have already spent a good few quid on Ebay for books, CD-Roms and equipment such as rebounder nets, flags, whistles, you name it - and I'm waiting for some money to go through Paypal to buy some Samba goals which are a bit more expensive and other equipment I have my eye on as I plan on putting what I learn into practice with my two talented and football daft nephews first and foremost - the reason why I'm getting into coaching.

For the past few weeks (since the summer really) me and the nephews have been practicing on the field at least a few times a week and me being me I took a serious approach to it, i.e. we do things properly and play to learn. I've enjoyed it and think I have the right temperament for it. Their skills have also improved a great deal, and above all else, we really enjoy our little amateur training sessions and they are as dedicated as I am. In fact they've given me the confidence and belief that hey, I could do this.

But I'm shitting myself at the prospect of what lies ahead and for the past few weeks I've been reading up, looking at drills and such and some of the drills I can't make head nor tail of and I'm finding all the various aspects of coaching quite overwhelming (me being me again, I like to arm myself with as much info and knowledge before undertaking anything) so I'm a bit self conscious at the moment about the whole thing to be honest.

Anyway, I can remember a few people on here mentioning going on some coaching courses so basically I'm looking for some advice, some heads up type info on these courses and I also have a few questions I'd like to ask so if you have done some coaching, or are a coach, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've looked about for a few coaching equivalents of N.O but can't seem to find any, and the ones I have are either US biased or have hardly any members.

Cheers

Guest Stuart Kemp

I did my work experience at West Brom F.C and the coaches i worked with their mostly had F.A level 1 and 2 with the exeption of a couple who had the UEFA B license. All they did was go around to schools in the area and run sessions for 1-2 hours at about £20 per person for about 6 weeks per school (they went to each school 1-2 times a week) and they ran about 3-5 sessions at different schools per day and the coach took the money from that. Dont know if this is the sort of thing you would be interested in

Guest Knightrider

you looking @ doing fa coaching courses? Level 1 is a walk in the park.

Aye, what does it entail? How long does it take? Is it a good coach, do you learn anything from it?

Cheers

Guest Knightrider

I did my work experience at West Brom F.C and the coaches i worked with their mostly had F.A level 1 and 2 with the exeption of a couple who had the UEFA B license. All they did was go around to schools in the area and run sessions for 1-2 hours at about £20 per person for about 6 weeks per school (they went to each school 1-2 times a week) and they ran about 3-5 sessions at different schools per day and the coach took the money from that. Dont know if this is the sort of thing you would be interested in

So L1 and L2 can get you into a club's door? Aye one of the reasons I want to pick up coaching is because its canny expensive to keep putting the nephews through. 20 quid per person for 1-2 a week for a few weeks seems expensive. Especially when you know those kids will want the best footy boots, balls and such adding to the expense.

Guest Stuart Kemp

Yes mate the coaches at West Brom were level 1 and level 2 and i agree £20 for a few weeks is pricey but the clubs name does its talking which attracts plenty of people along. West Brom also provided clubs accesories such as a shirt to who they thought was the best player at the end of the sessions.

Hmm, does kids really need special coaching? Them folks in Brazil just pla each other on the beach and they seem to be doing fine..

I always thought you started at lvl 3?  At least thats what i have.  Unless i jumped two levels???

And yer, it's pish.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Level 2 is intensive. I did it over 3 weekends 8 hours per day. The head coach goes through all the practices with you, with you and the rest of the group as particpants, so it is both mentally and physically challenging if your not in reasonable shape. At the end you will be asked to coach 2 sessions which you will be assessed on once you have got your hours in outside of the programme. (12 hours i think of coaching experience). The first sesson will be skills based eg coach the long lofted pass, and the second will be a games based session eg dribbling in a game situation (6v6).

I went straight on to my level 2 as there is no pre-requisite and the level 1 award is very easy.

Uefa b licence is all about phases of play, more so than individual skills, and only really relevant if you are looking to coach adult teams at a good level. After that is the a licence follwed my the pro license which you need to be asked to go on. Only ex pros or high semi pro level managers normally get chance to take part.

Guest Knightrider

Level 2 is intensive. I did it over 3 weekends 8 hours per day. The head coach goes through all the practices with you, with you and the rest of the group as particpants, so it is both mentally and physically challenging if your not in reasonable shape. At the end you will be asked to coach 2 sessions which you will be assessed on once you have got your hours in outside of the programme. (12 hours i think of coaching experience). The first sesson will be skills based eg coach the long lofted pass, and the second will be a games based session eg dribbling in a game situation (6v6).

I went straight on to my level 2 as there is no pre-requisite and the level 1 award is very easy.

Uefa b licence is all about phases of play, more so than individual skills, and only really relevant if you are looking to coach adult teams at a good level. After that is the a licence follwed my the pro license which you need to be asked to go on. Only ex pros or high semi pro level managers normally get chance to take part.

Cheers for the info mate, sounds daunting but exciting, aye I think I could do that. L2 that is. I'm not interested so much in coaching teams, just my nephews and learning myself, as well as getting fit myself so I can start playing again which I want to do and I've read how coaching disciplines you to fitness because in order to instruct, you yourself have to be able to do what you are asking of others. The other levels seem very tough and more geared towards management which doesn't apply to me.

Once again cheers for the info  :thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Cheers for the info mate, sounds daunting but exciting, aye I think I could do that. L2 that is. I'm not interested so much in coaching teams, just my nephews and learning myself, as well as getting fit myself so I can start playing again which I want to do and I've read how coaching disciplines you to fitness because in order to instruct, you yourself have to be able to do what you are asking of others. The other levels seem very tough and more geared towards management which doesn't apply to me.

Once again cheers for the info :thup:

No probs

Make sure you are able to get your hours in outside of the course. Without these you cannot take your final assessment. My suggestion would be to contact local kids teams, explain what you are doing and ensure you are CRB checked.

In terms of you becoming fit it is helpful but not a necessity. It is always good to be able to demonstrate the skills yourself, however most coaches use the most talented member of the group to do the demos.

Best of luck

Guest Knightrider

Sicko2ndbest, what's their stance on improvisation, do you get to do a session you have outlined yourself, do they ask that of you and do they help go over these things with your first?

Guest Immsy7

I've recently turned 17 and i am looking into football coaching but i have no idea where to start. Can anyone help? A link for a website or something would be great.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sicko2ndbest, what's their stance on improvisation, do you get to do a session you have outlined yourself, do they ask that of you and do they help go over these things with your first?

They will give you all the information you need in the session they put on for you during the hours you are in session. In terms of improvisation, i wouldnt improvise too much because the head coach is going to be looking at your ability to get the key coaching points over in a progressive manner. I f yoiu put on the a sesion that he has gone through with you already it is a safe bet. There is plenty of time for improvisation once you have got your badge!

Guest DazzaNufc1892

alryt guys, i was going to turn pro until i got injured, and myself considered becoming a coach so that i could stay in the game. Basically guys uying your own equipment is pointless. Contact the fa under their grass routes section, there you can apply to take your badges, the badges are easy guys if you are willing to work hard and do alot of reading. But dont believe that once you qualify the hard work is done, that is when it does become hard, you have to keep upto date with training methods, new dietry methods for yourself so you dont fall behind. Once you qualify also, you can get a grant of the FA, or Coca Cola to buy equipment

I have only completed the FA Junior Team Managers course, all fairly basic stuff - don't have time to pursue it now. It involved a basic exam and some practical tests - heading, shooting, dribbling etc. Good fun though!

Guest Knightrider

Cheers for all the replies fellas, much appreciated. Just found a coaches forum that seems to be busy and containing a lot of great advice so well happy with that, lots of notes on the various courses.

Anyway just enrolled for L1 via the FA's website and start at Northumberland FA in Feb. 110 quid seems a bit steep like, I'm just hoping it proves worth it at that price.

Wish me luck ;)

Guest Knightrider

PS been reading a few depressing things about youth football in this country, how there are fewere kids playing football today than in previous years and that a lot drop out because of pressure from parents and coaches.

Interesting site: http://s181210699.websitehome.co.uk/index.html with some comments from people in the game, noticed Gordon Strachan supporting it.