Is there a decent Library in Newcastle?

TRC

Guest Knightrider

Up stairs in the city library there is tons of extra shite, NUFc history sections, chronicles and lots more, look up there, i'm sure they have a business section.

You're out of luck, it's closed down for major refurbishment. Just so you know, it's in Princess Square (think that's what it's called, off Northumberland St, where Trillians is).

No way? Is there any that are open in Newcaslte tomorrow, as I will fail my course if I dont get some books out.

Fuck. Thats my course failed. Is this Library definately shut?

there are other libraries..west denton for example is pretty big,or stop living up to your soap dodging reputation and buy the freekin books!

there are other libraries..west denton for example is pretty big,or stop living up to your soap dodging reputation and buy the freekin books!

£200 worth of books? Which I only need for 2 days...

Dunno about Byker, it might well be open, I don't really see why not.

The main City Library is shut until 2009.

I know, went past there the other day when i was out shopping and can not believe that the city library is shut till 2009. Fucking disgrace.

Keep the receipt.

Keep the receipt.

Sorted now, Uni is open. They fucking emailed me saying that is was open only open on the 2nd of Jan over the new year, nout about tomorrow, nob heads, then I found out it is open tomorrow/today.

I know, went past there the other day when i was out shopping and can not believe that the city library is shut till 2009. Fucking disgrace.

It is, I don't use it like, only been in once as far as I can remember, but for a city like Newcastle not to have a city centre library for three years is ridiculous.

Mind I'd probably be more tempted to go in if it were in a more appealing building, how libraries are meant to be, but it's fucking horrendous in that old 60s block. I think it's actually being rebuilt, so I hope it's a hell of a lot nicer when it reopens. Might have a wander down tomorrow actually, since I'm in town, see what's happening.

What really makes me laugh is on certain days during the week, as a replacement of sorts, they have the mobile library parked on Grainger Street all day, a van no bigger than the one that used to be in operation in my village. :lol:

Books on shelves and open matters. Who cares if its Newcastle 60's resoration. Business organisation? Does it teach planning ahead?

It is, I don't use it like, only been in once as far as I can remember, but for a city like Newcastle not to have a city centre library for three years is ridiculous.

Mind I'd probably be more tempted to go in if it were in a more appealing building, how libraries are meant to be, but it's f***ing horrendous in that old 60s block. I think it's actually being rebuilt, so I hope it's a hell of a lot nicer when it reopens. Might have a wander down tomorrow actually, since I'm in town, see what's happening.

What really makes me laugh is on certain days during the week, as a replacement of sorts, they have the mobile library parked on Grainger Street all day, a van no bigger than the one that used to be in operation in my village. :lol:

It was an eyesore man. I'll try and get my hands on our (I work for the architects RyderHKS) artist's impression for the new design tomorrow and post it here.

I know, went past there the other day when i was out shopping and can not believe that the city library is shut till 2009. F***ing disgrace.

Mind I'd probably be more tempted to go in if it were in a more appealing building, how libraries are meant to be, but it's f***ing horrendous in that old 60s block. I think it's actually being rebuilt, so I hope it's a hell of a lot nicer when it reopens. Might have a wander down tomorrow actually, since I'm in town, see what's happening.

Yeah its closed down. I did some work experience in the Local Studies centre at the Central Library last year as part of my course.

The present building is going to be demolished and a new building is going to be built on the same site, and from the model and illustrations I've seen of it, it looks pretty nice. I know that they did consider moving to a temporary site in the city centre while the new library was being built. One of the considered options was to the old Bank of England building (the ugly concrete building right at the bottom end of Pilgrim Street - not the one by the Odeon), but for whatever reason it wasn't possible. So instead they've got a mobile library at the Monument, and some of the stock has been spread around the Branch libraries, which have longer opening hours - but most the stock is in storage. However the Local Studies and Family History Centre have moved to the Civic Centre, so if you want to research your family records, look at old censuses, old newspapers and research some local history, that's still all available.

Even so, as a regular user of the Central Library it is a big miss. The building is ugly, although having said that, it was well looked after and wasn't in bad shape. Once you got inside, it was a lot nicer than it looked from the exterior and you certainly couldn't complain of being cold in there. It was about 90 degrees inside even in January. I'll miss it, but I think the new one will be better.

As for Byker Library, I've used it a few times and for a branch library, its quite good, but it still has nothing like the range of the Central or the Uni libraries.