Sell Given ?

Benwell Lad

Probably the most unpopular thread title since "Keep Souness" - but think about it.

If Tim Krul maintains his progress he is soon going to need to be at least a No.2 keeper in a Premiership squad, that probably means if we're to keep him then one of the senior goalkeepers will have to make way.

Shay Given is a top keeper and an excellent club man but in my opinion so is Steve Harper.

I don't think there is much to seperate them but Shay has a stronger personality and made it clear he would not be No 2, while Harper has been content with that role.

A lot of us rate them equally, but Shay would have a higher market value and I'd guess a much higher salary. Therefore would it make sense to cash in on him and invest the money elsewhere ?

One thing is sure, when they're all fit, 3 into 2 won't go and something will have to give eventually.

Guest smoggeordie

By the time Given is 35-36 and ageing a bit, krul will be hitting 22/23, about the age when he will be ready for a regular first team spot. Looks like a natural progression to me.

I would sooner agree with a thread titled "support Sunderland." At least I can think up one good reason or so for that one.

A. Keepers don't sell for much, the financial gain would be minimal.

B. Harper is very good, but Shay is a friggin superhuman.

C. It's not like he's 25 and will be keeping Krul out of the first team for the next 10 years or something. He'll be gone eventually when time calls. Before then? Let's content ourselves with counting our blessings.

By the time Given is 35-36 and ageing a bit, krul will be hitting 22/23, about the age when he will be ready for a regular first team spot. Looks like a natural progression to me.

Would be good, but I've a feeling Krul will be looking for first team action sooner.

Shay is far better than Harper now. There was a time when there wasn't too much in it but due to all the games Given has played he is a class above our number 2.

No way should we sell him, if anyone has to make way for Krul it will be Harper.

I'd rather set my pubes on fire and beat the flames out with a rusty axe than sell Given - he's one of the best keepers in the country.

agree with this man but without the fire and axe

I reckon Harper is a good no. 2 but he'd be found out if he had a long run in the side. In fact, I think he was a bit earlier this season. No way would I sell Seamus.

Guest getalife

Probably the most unpopular thread title since "Keep Souness" - but think about it.

If Tim Krul maintains his progress he is soon going to need to be at least a No.2 keeper in a Premiership squad, that probably means if we're to keep him then one of the senior goalkeepers will have to make way.

Shay Given is a top keeper and an excellent club man but in my opinion so is Steve Harper.

I don't think there is much to seperate them but Shay has a stronger personality and made it clear he would not be No 2, while Harper has been content with that role.

A lot of us rate them equally, but Shay would have a higher market value and I'd guess a much higher salary. Therefore would it make sense to cash in on him and invest the money elsewhere ?

One thing is sure, when they're all fit, 3 into 2 won't go and something will have to give eventually.

I think we can all thank our lucky stars you're not in charge mate, for even considering it. You're not actually Graeme Souness are you? Jesus Christ.......