"United"...

Guest Bellers

Guest Bellers

Recently I've been noticing the media refer to the mancs as "united" a hell of a lot. For some reason this really gets on my nerve ends...

The other night I was watching "football first" at home several hours after the game when I found something far more more annoying than Gordon McQueen "neutrality":

"Oh good effort from united..."

"It's united on the attack..."

"United have dropped points..."

etc

In case the media hadn't noticed there were two "uniteds" on the pitch and there are more than a couple of "uniteds" throughout the football league, so why the hell do they persist in constantly refering to the mancs as "united"?

Is it a way of sharing their undying love for the mancs and Fergie? Or is it just a bad habit? Either way it pisses me off in monumental fashion...

Anyone else?

Meh. They're categorically known as 'United'.

The way it is unfortunately... began with the Sky bumfest, as many obsessions with the top clubs has done so through the Premiership years.

Don't let it bother you.

I refer to them as the manc bastards, as do a lot of people, i seriosuly doubt Gordon McQueen or whoever saying "The manc bastards on the attack" etc.

Guest FlapjackJoe

They should stick to Manure, works for the rest of us...    tongue.gif

Anyway, I think Alan Oliver was trying to kinda point that out in an article today:

link

Refers to NUFC as United about 8 times...

Proper order.

I was so close to creating this thread too. I was just reading on the SS website about the match report and I couldn't make out which team they were referring to, it actually made me quite angry.

Its total bias and has never failed to piss me off, they shouldn't be allowed to go on like this surely, lazy bastards should just call them ManU or (Dickheads) something... soapbox.gif

I think it's annoying to all teams that have United in their name. It's just part of the media hype. For example, most football fans couldn't give a toss about the title race unless their team is involved. Apparently according to Sky and the BBC we're all supposed to be enthralled about who is going to win between Man U and Chelsea. I couldn't care less because its not Newcastle.

Guest FlapjackJoe

And, also, NUFC were United in 1892.  Manure were called bloody Newton Heath till 1902.

Which gives us more right to be called United!!!

[but, ermmm, gives Sheffield United even more right than us!]

Guest Bellers

Shay even called them it.

bluebigeek.gif

More disloyal than Owen tbh!

... who was seen by the tyne using his shirt and fifty pound notes to start a fire...

Shay even called them it.

bluebigeek.gif

More disloyal than Owen tbh!

... who was seen by the tyne using his shirt and fifty pound notes to start a fire...

After the New Year fireworks were cancelled he was just trying to do something for the kids.

They are the best 'United' in the league, so they would get called that I guess, due to the apparent lack of a better nickname.

It's a crap name to be referred to as anyway, i'd much rather be known as Newcastle then 'United'

Most people I know refer to us as "The Toon". Better than "United".

exactly.

nobody else can be called 'the toon' yet tonnes of teams can be called united.

Guest TampaToon

in the US broadcast, one of the commentators did make a comment along the lines of, "as far as the northeast of England is concerned, there's only one United"

so somebody out there hears you guys

in the US broadcast, one of the commentators did make a comment along the lines of, "as far as the northeast of England is concerned, there's only one United"

so somebody out there hears you guys

Was all good until he said Middles bro United!

Guest TampaToon

And how about Tampa Bay Bucaneers :)

love them with all my heart, but it was a season to forget! about as successful as newcastle's first 3 months of the season, and not much more scoring than that either!

It's a combination of several factors. They're more successful than us and have much, much more media coverage as a result. They don't have a nickname like we do (toon army, magpies etc) and there are two Premiership clubs in Manchester.

It's a bit annoying as Manchester United was never actually 'united', it has always been one club and was once called Newton Heath, they stole the name because they liked it.

Still, I'd rather be referred to as Newcastle, Magpies, Geordies or Toon Army than simply 'United' (that name just reminds me of glory hunters tbh).

Each to their own really but it doesnt bother me. I usually refer to us as Newcastle, Toon or the Geordies. Don't really like "Toon Army" either. Sounds a bit shit I think. Overall though, id prefere us to be refered to as the place name rather than the second name.