History of St James' Park

Guest swanstoon

Guest swanstoon

Hiya & greetings from Australia! I've been a loyal supporter of Newcastle United since childhood & have made 3 pilgrimages to Newcastle,including 2 on matchday,but have yet to find out why St James' Park is called St James' Park! It's not 'world in peril stuff' but i'd be appreciative if anyone can enlighten me as to the historical derivation of the stadium's name.And i've already had the smart-alec answers on other forums including a suggestion that it's in honour of Saint James Milner!!!!

Thanks,John

St James' Park is located near St James' Terrace and St James' Street. The area in which the ground is located was at one time known as 'St James'. At the time (and we're talking about 300 years ago) the area was just outside the City Walls (and therefore outside the City). As the City grew outside the walls, the area of St James' became redundant as the area became part of the City Centre itself, and remained in the names of St James' Street and St James' Terrace, and the nearby field which was the city gallows and hangman's site, and part of the Town Moor, known as St James' Park.

The last hanging at SJP took place in 1844 and by the 1870s was staging Football matches. By 1880, it was the home of Newcastle Rangers and following their demise Newcastle West End based themselves at St James' in 1886. West End ran into financial difficulties in 1892 and invited Newcastle East End to take over the rent to St James', which East End did as it was regarded as a better ground in a more central location. West End folded with several board members and players joining East End, who then changed their name to Newcastle United as they were no longer in the East End and were the City's only professional side. And NUFC have played there ever since.

Guest swanstoon

Hiya Tom & thanks so much for your informative answer,it's very much appreciated.And for the record my 2nd matchday visit to St.James' Park was the occasion of Alan Shearer's record breaking goal against Pompey.I was in Row C of the East Stand,towards the Gallowgate End where Shearer scored.It was an awesome experience & one i'll treasure forever,so St.James' has a special place in my heart! Thanks again,man.

Cheers,John

St James' Park is located near St James' Terrace and St James' Street. The area in which the ground is located was at one time known as 'St James'. At the time (and we're talking about 300 years ago) the area was just outside the City Walls (and therefore outside the City). As the City grew outside the walls, the area of St James' became redundant as the area became part of the City Centre itself, and remained in the names of St James' Street and St James' Terrace, and the nearby field which was the city gallows and hangman's site, and part of the Town Moor, known as St James' Park.

The last hanging at SJP took place in 1844 and by the 1870s was staging Football matches. By 1880, it was the home of Newcastle Rangers and following their demise Newcastle West End based themselves at St James' in 1886. West End ran into financial difficulties in 1892 and invited Newcastle East End to take over the rent to St James', which East End did as it was regarded as a better ground in a more central location. West End folded with several board members and players joining East End, who then changed their name to Newcastle United as they were no longer in the East End and were the City's only professional side. And NUFC have played there ever since.

Off the top of your head?

bluebigrazz.gif