Polygon end interest in NUFC

johnnypd

Polygon ends talks with Newcastle

The Polygon-backed St James' Park Group consortium has said it has no current intentions of bidding for the Premiership football club.

In a statement the hedge-fund backed group also said it had ended talks with the north-east England outfit.

It was one of several parties that had been reported as making an approach regarding a possible takeover.

St James' Park Group said it reserved the right to make an offer or possible offer if circumstances changed.

Those circumstances would include any offer for Newcastle United from another party.

The Jersey-based Belgravia Group has also been repeatedly linked with bids for the club.

Before Christmas Newcastle United said talks with Belgravia were ongoing and also revealed that American financiers Polygon had requested access to the company's books.

Majority shareholder at Newcastle United is Sir John Hall who, with his son, owns more than 40% of the club.

The other major shareholder is Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd, who owns a 28% stake in the football club.

Belgravia is a private company with interests including construction, hospitality, aviation and sports marketing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6229885.stm

up to belgravia then...

Guest Armchair Pundit

I only see this as bad news. It probably means we're even more unattractive than I thought in the way of possible revenue, Shepherd has messed it up with his big-mouthed 'put up or shut up' quotes, or maybe just that we're just not worth the risk due to club structure. I guess there's no point in expecting any decent transfer funding for January now, happy days are here again... oh, they never went away  bluesigh.gif

I only see this as bad news. It probably means we're even more unattractive than I thought in the way of possible revenue, Shepherd has messed it up with his big-mouthed 'put up or shut up' quotes, or maybe just that we're just not worth the risk due to club structure. I guess there's no point in expecting any decent transfer funding for January now, happy days are here again... oh, they never went away  bluesigh.gif

That would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

My hunch about the situation is this. There's a few people interested and the Halls have set a high price, seeing if someone is going to bite. So far, no-one has. What the Halls hope is that someone will put in an offer and then start off an auction. They're businessmen, and I think that's how a businessman would play it. It's like cat and mouse.

Unlike the Halls, Shepherd I reckon is very keen to hang on, and doesn't want to sell to a group like Polygon or Belgravia, who would run it as a business and not operate like a sugardaddy. He's said himself that the offer that he would consider is an Abramovich-style one. Trouble is, that kind of offer is rare. The current wave of takeovers - of Man U, Villa, West Ham, Liverpool - have been on a business basis.

Of course, Shepherd himself is running the club as a business, and not putting in his own money. That's fair enough, but he shouldn't try to pretend that what he's offering the club is in any way exceptional. I think there are others out there who could make a better fist of it than him.

Guest nufc_geordie
My hunch about the situation is this. There's a few people interested and the Halls have set a high price, seeing if someone is going to bite. So far, no-one has. What the Halls hope is that someone will put in an offer and then start off an auction. They're businessmen, and I think that's how a businessman would play it. It's like cat and mouse.

Unlike the Halls, Shepherd I reckon is very keen to hang on, and doesn't want to sell to a group like Polygon or Belgravia, who would run it as a business and not operate like a sugardaddy. He's said himself that the offer that he would consider is an Abramovich-style one. Trouble is, that kind of offer is rare. The current wave of takeovers - of Man U, Villa, West Ham, Liverpool - have been on a business basis.

Of course, Shepherd himself is running the club as a business, and not putting in his own money. That's fair enough, but he shouldn't try to pretend that what he's offering the club is in any way exceptional. I think there are others out there who could make a better fist of it than him. 

I agree with this idea. The difference between Hall and Shepherd is that Hall is an astute businessman whereas Shepherd is a used Car Saleman type businessman. A man with no clue but a few pennies. I also agree with the view that Hall isn't offering anything exceptional and others could do a better job.

The only thing that does worry me though is that maybe Newcastle isn't as attractive as I first thought to a potential investor. Man Utd is the biggest sports asset in the world thereabouts, West Ham didn't have too muych outstanding debts, but even Villa, who weren't in a good finaincial situation with Deadly Doug being tight have been bought. I would have thought we stood in a better position than Villa but my view is that Freddy and his off hand stubburnness to stay in control will put off investors. Deadly Doug hung around for 15 years or so from when problems started and Freddy is much younger.

I don't see a short term solution to this.

I agree with this idea. The difference between Hall and Shepherd is that Hall is an astute businessman whereas Shepherd is a used Car Saleman type businessman. A man with no clue but a few pennies. I also agree with the view that Hall isn't offering anything exceptional and others could do a better job.

The only thing that does worry me though is that maybe Newcastle isn't as attractive as I first thought to a potential investor. Man Utd is the biggest sports asset in the world thereabouts, West Ham didn't have too muych outstanding debts, but even Villa, who weren't in a good finaincial situation with Deadly Doug being tight have been bought. I would have thought we stood in a better position than Villa but my view is that Freddy and his off hand stubburnness to stay in control will put off investors. Deadly Doug hung around for 15 years or so from when problems started and Freddy is much younger.

I don't see a short term solution to this.

Hall WAS an astute businessman. Last time I heard, Cameron Hall was massively in the red (made pre-tax losses of £74 MILLION in 2000). Why do you think he's so desperate to sell up at NUFC?

Guest Ridzuan

The clubs response:

NUFC Statement

Newcastle United thank Polygone for the Stock Exchange announcement they have issued today.

bluesleep.gif

Lazy prick.

Guest nufc1984

The clubs response:

NUFC Statement

Newcastle United thank Polygone for the Stock Exchange announcement they have issued today.

bluesleep.gif

Lazy prick.

Eh?

Guest Ridzuan

The clubs response:

NUFC Statement

bluesleep.gif

Lazy prick.

Eh?

Was referring to the club's response.Agree with you that Ive never seen such a small article on the website.They could just give a call to say thank you.Well maybe the website's designer is too bored.