Nanny / Au-Pair

Belfast Boy

Does anyone employ a live in nanny or au-pair? My twins currently spend 2 days a week at nursery (costing £500 a month), two days with their granny (free) and my wife works flexi time to spend Wednesdays at home with them.

Nursery costs keep going up and up and the hours we can leave them there seem to be reducing, meaning going into work late and having to leave early to collect them. We have a spare room with ensuite and are seriously considering getting some live in help, which in theory would allow us to work normal 9-5 hours and have more free time as a family in the evenings.

What would be a decent wage taking into account they would be living rent free and getting food/bills etc paid for them?

Au pairs are like a box of chocolates. You never know just what you're gonna get...

http://images.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.courttv.com/graphics/ctv/newsphotos/nannylarge.jpg&usg=__VSa965fgvhdQ6hlPMCVhpHzLcBY=

we did for quite a while as Mrs W worked -

a few pointers

1.  They are not slaves - light housework is a max - looking after the kids is their main occupation

2.    its best to think of them as members of the family - teenage members of the family - and set the rules out clearly - eg NO long calls home (short ones are OK), no smoking in the  house etc etc right up front

3.  If they are doing sommat you don't like TELL THEM ASAP - nowt worse than a constant irritation on either side

4.  they are entitled to their own lives = keys for the front door, notice if you want them to baby sit/stay in (and we always paid them a little extra for that; if you don't have decent transport they may need to be able to use a car

5.  Make sure they are enrolled in some evening school courses in ENglish etc

6.  the best way of getting one is via recomendation - do you know anyone locally who has an au-pair?  We got our first three from an agency but after that they were all cousins/friends/family of the last one

7.  They are family - so if they have trouble you have trouble

We employed 10 Spanish girls and 1 french and TBH we only had a small amount of trouble with one lass who was too old really to be  sitting around all day.  we still see/write to all of them and it was a good experience but you have to be willing to have someone else in your life

as for rates check a couple of agencies and see what they suggest - if you underpay them they'll soon find out and quit

Just make sure she's Swedish.

Playing at home is bloody crazy.................. 

I was joking. I think playing away is a bad idea too tbh. To each his (or her) own though I suppose.

Well seriously you become a mock & a scorn if you mess with the A-P - its sooooooo "Carry on...."

and for some reason wives react  even harder than if it was somone at work - home & hearth maybe

Well seriously you become a mock & a scorn if you mess with the A-P - its sooooooo "Carry on...."

and for some reason wives react  even harder than if it was somone at work - home & hearth maybe

Is that the voice of experience talking Berb?  bluewink.gif

Current rates are  £ 50 - £ 95 a week I think - plus you are adding food costs, some travel  etc etc

You can also bet that each au=pair will ruin at least one expensive garment of yours during her stay ...............................

On the other hand we had one who was in the car with the kids  when it caught fire and the guy from the AA actually called us up in the evening to tell us that she couldn't have done better if she been trained by the fire brigade...................................... 

£100 a week sounds good, considering I am currently paying £500 a month just for Thur and Fri at nursery. I am definitely going to look into a few agencies, any recommendations greatly recieved.

One other question Rob, how long does the average AP stay with a family? I dont fancy having to change every couple of months.

Is that the voice of experience talking Berb? bluewink.gif

nope - I saw a couple of train crashes when I was working in the far East when guys started to mess around with the servants - awful mate, just awful........................ 

Is that the voice of experience talking Berb? bluewink.gif

nope - I saw a couple of train crashes when I was working in the far East when guys started to mess around with the servants - awful mate, just awful........................ 

Aye, don't shit on your own doorstep, as they say.

SHOWER??????

we're talking SERVANTS here Parky - they wash in the outfall from the  Chemical factory of course

A camera in the shower at home for the AP???  Bloody risky - and with your luck it would probably electrocute you when you used the shower yer sel.................................................

we did for quite a while as Mrs W worked -

a few pointers

1.  They are not slaves - light housework is a max - looking after the kids is their main occupation

2.    its best to think of them as members of the family - teenage members of the family - and set the rules out clearly - eg NO long calls home (short ones are OK), no smoking in the  house etc etc right up front

3.  If they are doing sommat you don't like TELL THEM ASAP - nowt worse than a constant irritation on either side

4.  they are entitled to their own lives = keys for the front door, notice if you want them to baby sit/stay in (and we always paid them a little extra for that; if you don't have decent transport they may need to be able to use a car

5.  Make sure they are enrolled in some evening school courses in ENglish etc

6.  the best way of getting one is via recomendation - do you know anyone locally who has an au-pair?  We got our first three from an agency but after that they were all cousins/friends/family of the last one

7.  They are family - so if they have trouble you have trouble

We employed 10 Spanish girls and 1 french and TBH we only had a small amount of trouble with one lass who was too old really to be  sitting around all day.  we still see/write to all of them and it was a good experience but you have to be willing to have someone else in your life

as for rates check a couple of agencies and see what they suggest - if you underpay them they'll soon find out and quit

Sound's like someone was running a brothel....

• 1 month later...

Just a quck update, cant stay long as im currently on holiday in portugal!

Settled on a Canadian Aupair from near Winnipeg, she starts in August. 100 pounds a week, cash in hand.

....when do we get the neked pics fella?