Parker has gone about his job quietly

Guest nufc1984

Guest nufc1984

blueyes.gif

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439263&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=OPTA+PLAYER+OF+THE+MONTH

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7034/skylp8.png

OPTA PLAYER OF THE MONTH

By Graeme Bailey -  Created on 4 Jan 2007

December is always a key month in English football, with a multitude of games being packed into the schedule and plenty of points on offer for teams looking to become upwardly mobile before the New Year arrives. December 2006 in the Premiership saw Manchester United consolidate their lead at the top of the table, despite a rare loss at West Ham, and the Opta Player of the Month reflects United's general dominance.

Cristiano Ronaldo was virtually unplayable throughout December, featuring in all six of Manchester United's games, and scoring in four of them. Indeed, the Portuguese scored two goals in three successive matches for United, contributing six of the nine goals the Red Devils knocked past Aston Villa, Reading and Wigan Athletic. Not only was Ronaldo in deadly goalscoring form, but he also created two more strikes for his side and delivered 25 crosses, second only to Ryan Giggs. If he can continue this form for another month or so then surely he will be named the Premiership's player of the season. He was the league's top scorer in December with seven goals.

In second place is Newcastle United captain Scott Parker who was a key figure in the Magpies' steady recovery during December. His side played a mammoth seven games in the month, winning four of them, with Parker notching his side's third goal in their 3-1 win against Spurs. He also ended the month with one assist and made 25 tackles in the heat of the engine-room.

Third place goes to Manchester United's Louis Saha who may not have generated headlines as glowing as Ronaldo but was still effective for the league leaders. The Frenchman scored only one goal but was constantly involved in their build-up play and had a pass completion of well over 80%.

Fourth and fifth places go to two players from London clubs, Arsenal's Robin Van Persie and Chelsea's Frank Lampard. The former finally hit a rich vein of goalscoring form in December, ending the month with three goals, while the latter was one of the few Chelsea players to show some consistency, scoring twice and creating three other goals for the champions.

He's shit! Apparently....

Don't think these starts are ever completely accurate in telling you how someone has played but the way some people go on about him you would think he was the worst player ever to wear the black and white shirt!

Guest Bellers

He's recieving credit for making 25 tackles? That gives no indication on how he's actually played this month...

Guest nufc1984

He's shit! Apparently....

Don't think these starts are ever completely accurate in telling you how someone has played but the way some people go on about him you would think he was the worst player ever to wear the black and white shirt!

Give it another 5 star performance and he should be given the freedom of the city.  :roll:

Guest Ridzuan

I didnt realised that his performance for us was that good during the month of December,but the statistics dont lie.I believe Opta has done its research and its a quite reliable source to trust.

Guest Gemmill

I didnt realised that his performance for us was that good during the month of December,but the statistics dont lie.I believe Opta has done its research and its a quite reliable source to trust.

Did you used to post on here as emporer_k?

Guest Ridzuan

Did you used to post on here as emporer_k?

What? Ive never heard of that name and obviously,it isnt me.

Had just cut and pasted the same article! I know that every opinion is valid but I find the anti-Parker crap just staggering. Christ even his bloody pirouette, although overused, is a bloody effective way of not losing the ball or possession. I can't remember Robert Lee receiving stick for doing just the same, and just as regularly.

I can't think of any other NUFC player, past or present, that I would rather have as a defensive midfielder, with the possible exception of David Batty.

Guest Bellers

Had just cut and pasted the same article! I know that every opinion is valid but I find the anti-Parker crap just staggering. Christ even his bloody pirouette, although overused, is a bloody effective way of not losing the ball or possession. I can't remember Robert Lee receiving stick for doing just the same, and just as regularly.

I can't think of any other NUFC player, past or present, that I would rather have as a defensive midfielder, with the possible exception of David Batty.

I agree it's a useful base for launching attacks, but I think people are more concerned about the way he tands to stray out of position...

In second place is Newcastle United captain Scott Parker who was a key figure in the Magpies' steady recovery during December. His side played a mammoth seven games in the month, winning four of them, with Parker notching his side's third goal in their 3-1 win against Spurs. He also ended the month with one assist and made 25 tackles in the heat of the engine-room.

He only played in 3 Premiership games and we lost 2 of them, in the 4 games he didn't play we won 3 and lost 1 (away to Chelsea)

Third place goes to Manchester United's Louis Saha who may not have generated headlines as glowing as Ronaldo but was still effective for the league leaders. The Frenchman scored only one goal but was constantly involved in their build-up play and had a pass completion of well over 80%.

So Louis Saha is thought to have had a better month than Obafemi Martins even though he scored 5 less Premiership goals than him in December, on the basis that he was involved in a lot of Man Utd's build ups and has a pass completion rate of over 80%?! :lol:

Just shows what bollocks these stats are.

So Louis Saha is thought to have had a better month than Obafemi Martins even though he scored 5 less Premiership goals than him in December, on the basis that he was involved in a lot of Man Utd's build ups and has a pass completion rate of over 80%?! :lol:

Yes. "involved in a lot of Man United's build ups and has a pass completion rate of over 80%?!". Its called being a great team player and contributing a lot more than just goals. I'm not taking away anything from Martins mind who has been great apart from the last couple of games.

Guest nufc1984

No it doesn't suprise me, Martins has scored some goals for us, but his play other wise has been pretty average and even poor at some stages, he fades away in games, his passing is absolutely poor sometimes and his eratic shooting leaves alot to be desired, so yes i can see why Saha is higher up, he is a more composed player and good at passing and team play.

Yes. "involved in a lot of Man United's build ups and has a pass completion rate of over 80%?!". Its called being a great team player and contributing a lot more than just goals. I'm not taking away anything from Martins mind who has been great apart from the last couple of games.

But when the player of the year is decided do they pull up opta stats and see who has made the most pass etc?

Goals win games and if you took Martins goals out of our team in December we'd be 1 point above the relegation zone.

Guest Jambo_T

I agree it's a useful base for launching attacks, but I think people are more concerned about the way he tands to stray out of position...

I don't think he is the only culprit. I also don't think Emre has been a fraction as good as Parker overall, aswell as being injured for alot of games, yet Parker gets the blame for their partnership 'not working'.