Parker has gone about his job quietly

Guest nufc1984

In second place is Newcastle United captain Scott Parker who was a key figure in the Magpies' steady recovery during December. His side played a mammoth seven games in the month, winning four of them, with Parker notching his side's third goal in their 3-1 win against Spurs. He also ended the month with one assist and made 25 tackles in the heat of the engine-room.

He only played in 3 Premiership games and we lost 2 of them, in the 4 games he didn't play we won 3 and lost 1 (away to Chelsea)

More relevant than the Opta stats?

Guest teepee

the statistics are tricky to trust completely - but i do believe that they can serve as a pointer and that parker is a great player, and that he receives much too much stick on here.

my only beef with him is that he sometimes takes too much time on the ball - but as mentioned, he is no worse than so many other players!

Guest nobby peru

the statistics are tricky to trust completely - but i do believe that they can serve as a pointer and that parker is a great player, and that he receives much too much stick on here.

my only beef with him is that he sometimes takes too much time on the ball - but as mentioned, he is no worse than so many other players!

Totally agree - sky sports news end of year stats also had him with most tackles of any premier player. he's not perfect, but he's very good. last season he was outstanding and this season he's done well, coming back from illness and injury and playing through injury. can't believe there are so many people at the match ready to jump on his back any time he misplaces a pass.

Can I say it's the proof that he tackles too much outside his own area and leaves space for the opponent at centre?

It is definitely ok to let him do the tackle work WHEN he is not the sole defensive midfielder.

What I wanna point out is that his problem is positioning but not tackling,

which a DMC really needs.

Well, I will be fucked up here I know...

Can I say it's the proof that he tackles too much outside his own area and leaves space for the opponent at centre?

It is definitely ok to let him do the tackle work WHEN he is not the sole defensive midfielder.

What I wanna point out is that his problem is positioning but not tackling,

which a DMC really needs.

Well, I will be fucked up here I know...

Well you can say that, but it isn't proven by those stats.

Guest thompers

Should be considered objective vindication of Parker from all the cynics. Not absolute evidence, but surely a step in the right direction.

The man's not Gerrard people, but he's still class.

Bleeeeeeeet

He's shit! Apparently....

Don't think these starts are ever completely accurate in telling you how someone has played but the way some people go on about him you would think he was the worst player ever to wear the black and white shirt!

:roll:

He's average as an individual and his partnership with Emre is shit, would be much more accurate.

Don't think these starts are ever completely accurate in telling you how someone has played but the way some people go on about him you would think he was the worst player ever to wear the black and white shirt!

He's average as an individual and his partnership with Emre is shit, would be much more accurate.

Ok!

BTW Some outstanding posts in this thread from people who obviously place more credence on a stat' than the evidence of their own eyes and brain.

Talk about people clutching at straws tbh. We play better with any centre pairing that hasn't included Parker, there's not a shadow of doubt about that.

Individual statistics can never tell the full story. It's the impact that a player makes on the team's performance as a whole which counts. And there's no evidence that Parker's presence is a boost to the team, however good he looks as an individual.

He's got the potential to do better, but has become too conservative. Any player's pass completion stats would look better if they only passed the ball sideways or backwards. (I exaggerate to make the point)

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Jenas was one of our highest ranking opta stats players. I think they are irrellevant and you should judge a player by what you see on the pitch. From my judgement Parker has been good at times, poor at others, not captain material.

Parkers game amounts to tackle, turn on the ball, lose the ball.

The team plays much better when he isn't in it, that is a fact. Just because some numpty at OPTA saw he made 25 tackles isn't vindication for me. He's still vastly overrated by alot of people and certainly isn't one of our most important players.

I agree, but http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,34840.20.html

Ok!

Just pointing out yet another double standard on your part, particulary relevant following the rush of abusive and rude PM's you sent me a couple of days ago.

The team plays much better when he isn't in it, that is a fact. Just because some numpty at OPTA saw he made 25 tackles isn't vindication for me. He's still vastly overrated by alot of people and certainly isn't one of our most important players.

I agree, but http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,34840.20.html

Bollocks. He's not class, he's average.

At his best he's average. His effect on the rest of the team is what really counts though, and that is poor. As you said.

At his best he's average. His effect on the rest of the team is what really counts though, and that is poor. As you said.

As you spend your whole life telling us.

As you spend your whole life telling us.

....in response to others first telling us he's 'class'.

Don't expect you to notice that though.