If you could have any starting left-back from outside of the top four...

oldtype

Left back.

We know we need one.

But it's seeming increasingly likely that we won't get one with any sort of quality.

Might as well dream.  bluesleep.gif

So if you could have any of the first choice left backs from any club outside of the top four, who would it be?

Ricardo Gardner (Bolton)

Matthew Taylor (Portsmouth)

Lee Young-Pyo (Tottenham)

Nuno Valente (Everton)

Nicky Shorey (Reading)

Hatem Trabelsi (Man City)

Michael Gray (Blackburn)

Frank Quedrue (Fulham)

Gareth Barry (Aston Villa)

Emanuel Pogatetz (Middlesborough)

some random bloke that nobody's gonna choose (Sheffield)

Leighton Baines (Wigan)

Paul Konchesky (West Ham)

Djimi Traore (Charlton)

Chris Powell (Watford)

Hint: Try to make it more interesting by not choosing Baines

(Some of my "first choices" may be a bit off. Feel free to point out mistakes.)

Baines...But they WONT sell im cheap..

We'd better look abroad...

Some english defeders really are overrated...going by the prices anyway...

And i have seen at least 20 LB that are much better than Babayaro

Guest johnson293

Left back.

So if you could have any of the first choice left backs from any club outside of the top four, who would it be?

Ricardo Gardner (Bolton)

Nuno Valente (Everton)

Nicky Shorey (Reading)

Michael Gray (Blackburn)

Frank Quedrue (Fulham)

Leighton Baines (Wigan)

Djimi Traore (Charlton)

Chris Powell (Watford)

Out of that list (and avoiding Baines  tongue.gif) I would say either Matt taylor or Gareth Barry, as both can defend, but also can chip in with goals and/or penalties - though is Barry a natural left back, or simply a left sided midfielder who can play the role?

You missed Phil Neville of that list, but I wouldn't want him anyway!!

MJ

Guest teepee

lee isn't so much first team anymore is he?

and trabelsi plays on the right side i suppose.... that aside - i'd take baines or barry (although he is better in midfield)

quedrue is also better than what we have...

Barry is absolutely wasted at left back, I much prefer when MON sticks him in midfield and Bouma at left back (what with him actually being a LB at international level).

Of that list, I'd take Taylor from Portsmouth.

Traore I wouldn't prod with the very longest of shitty sticks.

Baines  tongue.gif

But Taylor would be right up there. Barry behind although Baines is the only one we could get out of those three even with his ridiculous price tag.

Dont particularly rate many of the others that much higher than what we have. If we are getting a LB it has to be a decent one.

Barry and Taylor aren't playing at left back (predominantly) this season.

Shorey has looked decent since arriving in the league. Also, is Trabelsi playing LB? I know he's a RB but they have Richards there, I thought he played midfield against us? Isn't Thatcher their starting LB?

Trabelsi is playing on the right hand side of midfield and is ace. Our left back is either Ben Thatcher or Stephen Jordan. Both shite really.

I can't help but feel some players are being overblown becuase of a few goals or assists - Taylor, Barry, Shorey...a good left foot does not a good left back make (See Harte, Ian).

Not much between most but I always liked Ricardo Gardner and have wanted  City to go for him in the past. Decent athlete and wouldn't have cost an arm and a leg but he's got a gimpy knee now so question mark.

Trabelsi is playing on the right hand side of midfield and is ace. Our left back is either Ben Thatcher or Stephen Jordan. Both shite really.

I can't help but feel some players are being overblown becuase of a few goals or assists - Taylor, Barry, Shorey...a good left foot does not a good left back make (See Harte, Ian).

Not much between most but I always liked Ricardo Gardner and have wanted  City to go for him in the past. Decent athlete and wouldn't have cost an arm and a leg but he's got a gimpy knee now so question mark.

Gardner seems to be too much of a crock for my liking. The reason everyone has heard about Barry and Taylor this season is beacuse they're both playing in midfield (Taylor on the wing!) and Barry is taking penalties. Doesn't mean they're playing badly, just that they're being noticed for reasons other than their abilities at left back.

I'm not sure about Shorey - don't know how good he is defensively - but from what I've seen he looks decent enough.

Wouldnt really class Taylor as a lef tback anymore, or Barry tbh. Don't know much about Shorey but he looked class the other day.

I too rate Konchesky and said when he was on his way to Villa he would have been worth a punt.

I don't rate Konchesky at all. Very poor user of the ball, he is  extremely over-ambitious with his passing and crossing for such a technically limited player. Got lucky with a shite cross in the cup final but he has had a shocking time this year - one of the many West Ham players to have been found out this season. Couldn't pass wind. :thdn:

There are many LB's out there for not too much money that are alot better than baba...

Because they aren't big name players they can still be good.

I bet there is quite a few LB's in other leagues around that are not too expensive or well known to us...

Im sure i have seen a few that would play alot better than Baba has for us (for what it's worth)

What im trying to say here is that some players (especially players in the PL) are really overpriced and can only be signed for inflated (sp?) prices...

I think you could get a lot more quality for money by signing players from abroad. Especially in the situation we are in now

throwing out £6-7m on someone like Bale would just be insane imo...

I wonder how many times i have been thinking through the years seing many other clubs sign good players for a really fair price and wondering why weren't we after him and him.

We could save so much money having good scouts with great knowledge in the different leagues around europe...Getting the right players before others do get them, instead of buying them later for a price of 100 times more than they cost a couple of years ago..

Ricardo Gardner (Bolton)

Nuno Valente (Everton)

Nicky Shorey (Reading)

Michael Gray (Blackburn)

Frank Quedrue (Fulham)

Leighton Baines (Wigan)

Djimi Traore (Charlton)

Chris Powell (Watford)

Of all of them, only Powell, Traore and Blades' lad are not better than Babayaro or Ramage at left back.

I'd have Ricardo Gardner here as well. Think he's a very good defender, and is superb at going forward. His injuries are a bit of a deterrent though.

Leighton Baines is a super footballer, and plays the fullback position as it should be played. I would have every confidence in paying whatever it took to bring him here. I'd go as far up as 7 or 8 million. It's time we did that.

See...when you bring players in, you're not only paying for their individual value, but you're also paying for the potential benefits you could gain. I think bringing in a top class fullback (especially at LB now that Nobby's a revelation) would give us SO MUCH more balance in the team, and that alone is worth a lot of money.

Baines would strengthen our team as a defender, but would also strengthen our team by bringing balance to our shape. Note how the opposition almost always attack us on our weaker left side (Baba/makeshift rightfooted CB).

Big cash on LB for LB is a must this Januray imo if we are to even attempt to push for a European spot, or do well in the cups we're still in.

[email protected]

I know he's not starting now but J Lloyd Samuel was on the verge of international recognition a couple of seasons ago and will be out of contract in the summer.Wants to leave Villa and won't sign new contract is reason why O'Neill isn't selecting him plus Barry has been superb after being slotted in at LB.Samuel would be cheap because of shot contract and definitel an improvement on what we have now.

I know he's not starting now but J Lloyd Samuel was on the verge of international recognition a couple of seasons ago and will be out of contract in the summer.Wants to leave Villa and won't sign new contract is reason why O'Neill isn't selecting him plus Barry has been superb after being slotted in at LB.Samuel would be cheap because of shot contract and definitel an improvement on what we have now.

Next  :thup:

Samuel is another one of those who isn't rated by his own fans. Im sure Brummie will comment when he see's the post but there will be a reason why he isn't getting into the Villa team! Samuel is probably no better than Baba, infact it is probably a step backwards.