Milner on the move?

stozo

http://home.skysports.com/transferarticle.aspx?hlid=439393

Newcastle are being tipped to make a move for Shaun Wright-Phillips which could spark some major transfer activity in the North East.

The England winger is understood to be surplus to requirements at Chelsea and a host of clubs are considering a swoop.

While West Ham are reported to be favourites, Newcastle are also said to be monitoring the situation.

Newcastle are already fairly well stocked in midfield - but they could indeed make way for Wright-Phillips with the departure of James Milner.

The England Under 21 star has impressed this term, but it remains to be seen whether he will be first choice in the long-term under Glenn Roeder.

Aston Villa, where Milner spent the previous season on loan, have admitted that they are unlikely to mount a fresh bid - but neighbours Middlesbrough are believed to be looking to strike a deal.

Boro showed an interest in August when Newcastle looked to try and prise Mark Viduka from Teesside. Their interest in the Australian remains, but his current form combined with Boro's perilous league position means they will not be willing to let him leave.

Another player said to be on Newcastle's list of targets is Chris Riggott and North East sources claim the two clubs are now in preliminary talks about a deal which could see Boro offer their defender plus some cash to land the young winger.

Boro are looking for a midfield spark and Milner could be the man to provide it, although they have also joined the expanding list of clubs taking a close look at Hibernian duo Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown - with assistant Malcolm Crosby watching them at the weekend.

I seriously hope there is no truth to this article as Milner has been very good for us this season and it would be stupid to let him go, even if we were to bring SWP in.

Guest Bellers

Newcastle are being tipped to make a move for Shaun Wright-Phillips which could spark some major transfer activity in the North East.

The England winger is understood to be surplus to requirements at Chelsea and a host of clubs are considering a swoop.

While West Ham are reported to be favourites, Newcastle are also said to be monitoring the situation.

Newcastle are already fairly well stocked in midfield - but they could indeed make way for Wright-Phillips with the departure of James Milner.

The England Under 21 star has impressed this term, but it remains to be seen whether he will be first choice in the long-term under Glenn Roeder.

Aston Villa, where Milner spent the previous season on loan, have admitted that they are unlikely to mount a fresh bid - but neighbours Middlesbrough are believed to be looking to strike a deal.

Boro showed an interest in August when Newcastle looked to try and prise Mark Viduka from Teesside. Their interest in the Australian remains, but his current form combined with Boro's perilous league position means they will not be willing to let him leave.

Another player said to be on Newcastle's list of targets is Chris Riggott and North East sources claim the two clubs are now in preliminary talks about a deal which could see Boro offer their defender plus some cash to land the young winger.

Boro are looking for a midfield spark and Milner could be the man to provide it, although they have also joined the expanding list of clubs taking a close look at Hibernian duo Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown - with assistant Malcolm Crosby watching them at the weekend.

I seriously hope there is no truth to this article as Milner has been very good for us this season and it would be stupid to let him go, even if we were to bring SWP in.

Wouldn't worry planet football come out with stories similar to this one frequently...

Yep, we should hold on to him. Whats the point in going for a right winger? Suppose SWP would also be good cover for Martins but at the price he will cost we should be looking at other positions!

I also can't stand SWP. Decent footballer no doubt, but nowt special. If he was actually special he'd get into Mourinho's side. Plus, (and I do like Ian Wright), he's a London boy thru and thru, and his father wants him to be at a top title challenging club, and if he does come to us, it will probably be for 14M or something, and he'll be sold to Arsenal a year or two later for 8M on account of him being unhappy up north etc..etc..

Should steer well clear. Milner has the potential to be better than SWP, and he's quite the professional. Milner over SWP every day of the week.

Notice they've released this story on his birthday.

Even if it were true I'd be very annoyed if we were to sell a bright young prospect and current first-teamer for a 25-year old who isn't doing anything at the moment and shortchange ourselves severely in the process. SWP may be the bigger name but he's overvalued because of his status as a Chelsea and England squad player. Milner has 4 years on him and this season he is the player putting in decent performances. As for Milner's lack of goals, SWP hasn't scored a league goal in his last 40 appearances, all while playing for the league champions.

Not goiing to happen, on both bits, even if we did manage to get  SWP it would be a loan deal and will NOT be selling Milner.

If anything I can see SWP on his way back to City as part of a deal to get Richards to Chelski.

Sounds like a nonsense article.

Agree. This sort of story is what is so annoying about the media and their transfer stories. If nothing in their story turns out to be true there is no comeback. They'll be printing around 100 stories like this until the window closes.

Milner is a permanent fixture in the side at the moment. I'd be very surprised if we wanted to sell Milner (who is 21). Roeder and Shepherd have already said in December that Milner isn't going anywhere.

Are Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown joined at the hip?

Poor man's Tevez/Mascherano tbh.

:lol:

To be honest actually, and now that I've given it even more thought, I would be outright livid if we paid any kind of money for SWP, and let Milner go.

The only way I'd have SWP here is on loan, and IF and ONLY IF Duff and Zoggy are out longer term, with Milner having to fill in on the left.

Milner doesn't want to leave. He's loving it at Newcastle and rightly so. He's developing into a cracking player. He's not leaving. He's not going to go. He'll be a Newcastle player in February. We're hanging onto him. There's no way on Earth that James Milner is leaving. He's black and white and hear to stay. He's not going. He's staying put.

How many frigging times?

I just get the feeling this is a much watered down version of summer 2003, when a canny few Newcastle fans weren't interested in a Robert+cash swap deal with PSG for Ronaldinho. I get the feeling 2-3 years we'll be regretting not getting SWP, while Milner doesn't progress, or joins another club anyway.

I just get the feeling this is a much watered down version of summer 2003, when a canny few Newcastle fans weren't interested in a Robert+cash swap deal with PSG for Ronaldinho. I get the feeling 2-3 years we'll be regretting not getting SWP, while Milner doesn't progress, or joins another club anyway.

I think its possibly a HUGELY watered down version, maybe.

As I said, but I just get the feeling in 2 years time, Wright Phillips will be flying with Arsenal gunning for the title, and we'll be stuck with good old hard working, 1 goal in 20 James Milner.

As I said, but I just get the feeling in 2 years time, Wright Phillips will be flying with Arsenal gunning for the title, and we'll be stuck with good old hard working, 1 goal in 20 James Milner.

Or we could look back in 2 years with the very productive Milner providing the team with chances galore and the ruined SWP looking a shadow of the Man City player running around the Boleyn Ground (or whatever its called, hammers) trying to justify a £10m price tag.