Do we need major signings?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

I get up every morning probably like a lot of you on this board, switch teletext 338 on to see what the latest word is from the papers. It dosnt really matter who we get linked with i am just always excited to se Newcastles name within a story.

After reading Roeders quotes today about bringing players in for the sake of it on long contracts and then not wanting them, i believe he is going about this transfer window in the right manner. We need cover in defence and another striker, but who is availible at a decent price, and which clubs would be willing to sell. I like Distin and think he would be a good addition, however why pay 3-5 million for him now when you can get him for nothing in the summer. The same principle goes for Sidwell, Viduka, Barton and probably a whole host of others. Roeder is very careful, and very sensible with money, and for this i am grateful. If i was Roeder i would get them on pre-contract agreements, whereby they come to us in the summer, and we pay no fee.

When all our squad is fit, we have a decent starting 11 that would get us a top 8 premiership position, easily, and Roeder knows this. What can he achieve spending 15 million in this transfer window, any decent player will be cup tied in europe, would cost more know than they would have in the summer, and we still wouldnt qualify for europe for next year. Roeder knows he is a strong back line away from competing with the top 4, and this is an issue better addressed in the summer as opposed to January

Whatever Roeder/Shepherd did wrong in the summer, they shouldn't try and make a mense in this transfer window, they will pay inflated prices, which wont make a hell of a difference to our season know anyway.

I have faith in Roeder and urge fans not to be too dissapointed if little money is spent during this window!

They have know for a long time we need to strengthen, Roeder has said he has told Fred who he would like, what gets to us is the length of time it seems to take before any action is taken over a transfer. This is a short transfer window and time cannot be wasted dithering about like we did at the start of the season.

I will take panic buying over no buying any day.  :thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

They have know for a long time we need to strengthen, Roeder has said he has told Fred who he would like, what gets to us is the length of time it seems to take before any action is taken over a transfer. This is a short transfer window and time cannot be wasted dithering about like we did at the start of the season.

I will take panic buying over no buying any day. :thup:

I will reserve my judgement until August 31st 2007. By then i will know more about Roeders ability to construct a good squad.

BTW panic buying = Luque - now that could start a thread!

What can he achieve spending 15 million in this transfer window, any decent player will be cup tied in europe, would cost more know than they would have in the summer, and we still wouldnt qualify for europe for next year. Roeder knows he is a strong back line away from competing with the top 4, and this is an issue better addressed in the summer as opposed to January

On the other hand, you could get 2 or 3 defenders now, get them used to each other while we have not a lot to play for so they're a unit when we start the new season.

I don't believe this season is a write off by any means but the need for a defender is urgent, and if we're going to strenghten then we should do it properly.

Players are a bit more expensive in January but we're going to have to bite the bullet at some point. Sometimes you face more competition for a player in summer because others have thought along the same lines as you and have earmarked more money for the summer window. We can't compete with the biggest clubs anyway but sometimes you can steal a march by putting up the money in January.

Also, as Optimistic Nut has pointed out, a player bought in January has time to settle with his teammates, ready for the new season (such as Evra for Man Utd).

I'd like to see us test Depor with a bid for Andrade. They are in a bit of a crisis now, in their last 5 games they have conceded 14 goals and scored 1.

I don't believe this season is a write off by any means but the need for a defender is urgent, and if we're going to strenghten then we should do it properly.

Players are a bit more expensive in January but we're going to have to bite the bullet at some point. Sometimes you face more competition for a player in summer because others have thought along the same lines as you and have earmarked more money for the summer window.

We were linked in The Sun with Wes Brown today,and that is one rumour i would like to see come to fruition,and i think it could happen.

Players are a bit more expensive in January but we're going to have to bite the bullet at some point. Sometimes you face more competition for a player in summer because others have thought along the same lines as you and have earmarked more money for the summer window. We can't compete with the biggest clubs anyway but sometimes you can steal a march by putting up the money in January.

Also, as Optimistic Nut has pointed out, a player bought in January has time to settle with his teammates, ready for the new season (such as Evra for Man Utd).

Evra & Vidic. If they'd both arrived in the summer they'd have taken a while to bed in, and I just wonder if Man U's defensive record would have been as good. The fact they signed mid-season gave them half a year to adapt and bed in to that defensive unit ready for the start of the season.

If we brought in three/four decent loan signings that would significantly bolster our squad and help us on our European run... i'd be happy enough. The only position i'd desperately like us to see 'majorly' strengthen in January is left-back. But on the whole, i think for the striker situation in-particular, we brought in a cheap stopgap type player, like Viduka or Beattie.

But i doubt Viduka will leave now.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Players are a bit more expensive in January but we're going to have to bite the bullet at some point. Sometimes you face more competition for a player in summer because others have thought along the same lines as you and have earmarked more money for the summer window.

The UEFA cup is the only thing that dosnt make this season a complete right off. We do need a defender, preferably a left back, this is no.1 priority, and if we can field, given, solano, moore, taylor, new lb, duff, parker, butt, milner, martins and owen, during the latter part (semi final +) of the uefa cup i think we have a good chance.

My point is however, who can we get in at this moment for the best price that would SIGNIFICANTLY improve our team beyond recognition.

The arguement about having time to settle in is a valid one, however, if brought in at the start of the summer, can spend pre season and play in all the friendlies to become accustomed.

My point is however, who can we get in at this moment for the best price that would SIGNIFICANTLY improve our team beyond recognition.

There's always someone. Neill & Distin for starters.

Indeed Sicko, the only thing that doesn't write this season off completely is the fact that we're in Europe. And if we get knocked out in the Last 16 or Quarter-final, which we've got every chance of doing, coupled with a mid-table finish and early exit in the FA Cup, this season will probably be totally and utterly forgotten.

Unless...

I've got a canny feeling about the Waffa this year. If we beat Alkmaar/Fenerbahce in the Last 16 i'm going to be getting very, very excited.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Agree, however my original point was:

January 2007 Neill + Distin = 6-8 million

Summer 2007 Neill + Distin = zip

Evra & Vidic. If they'd both arrived in the summer they'd have taken a while to bed in, and I just wonder if Man U's defensive record would have been as good. The fact they signed mid-season gave them half a year to adapt and bed in to that defensive unit ready for the start of the season.

Vidic too, forgot about that. What a bargain.

If we're serious about making next season one to remember then we would do well to get the players in now, while they're fully fit, and give them games.

Yeh mate because they'll still be at their current clubs then won't they :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Yeh mate because they'll still be at their current clubs then won't they :lol:

Yes they will mate unless one of the top 4 clubs comes in with an offer that will have them knocking their managers door. They have no reason to want to leave in January when they can make huge deals as free agents in the summer

The UEFA cup is the only thing that dosnt make this season a complete right off. We do need a defender, preferably a left back, this is no.1 priority, and if we can field, given, solano, moore, taylor, new lb, duff, parker, butt, milner, martins and owen, during the latter part (semi final +) of the uefa cup i think we have a good chance.

The arguement about having time to settle in is a valid one, however, if brought in at the start of the summer, can spend pre season and play in all the friendlies to become accustomed.

If this season leaves us little to play for then we have an opportunity to get new signings accustomed by giving them 10, 12, 15 Premiership games. That's a hell of a lot better than a few pre-season friendlies, and stands them in much better stead for next season.

I can't name players because I don't watch much football outside of the Premiership, and even within the Premiership I'd be lying if I said I watched many non-Newcastle games other than highlights.

Who would have suggested Vidic a year ago? I know I knew nothing about him. It is up to our scouts to find this sort of player. I'd rather we got a quality left back and/or centre back in now and give them half a season to adjust, I'd feel a lot more confident about them succeeding next season.

Add huge signing on fee's and increased wages due to them being bosmans and maybe we dont save so much.

If papers are to be believed  :lol: Ben Haim is avaliable for £3.5m. If that really was the case he should defintely be on our shopping list!

My understanding of it is that players on pre-contract agreements usually command a hefty signing on fee and hefty wages because they have the pick of quite a few clubs. Liverpool and others would be after Neill and Distin would also have quite a few suitors.

There's also the possibility, of course, that somebody else snaps them up in the last few days of January leaving us with nothing once more. We played that waiting game in August and it blew up in our faces, let's not do it again...

Guest sicko2ndbest

My understanding of it is that players on pre-contract agreements usually command a hefty signing on fee and hefty wages because they have the pick of quite a few clubs. Liverpool and others would be after Neill and Distin would also have quite a few suitors.

There's also the possibility, of course, that somebody else snaps them up in the last few days of January leaving us with nothing once again.

Thats the chance you take, which is why some of the biggest deals dont happen until the end of the window. If Liverpool wanted Neill his advisors would know, and all he would have to do is spurn any other offers that come his way until the summer.

Players like Distin and Neill would command a hefty signing on fe even if a transfer fee was paid. Do you think that because we give Madrid 17 mil for Owen he dodnt have a cut?

I would rather wait for the summer to make long term purchases is all i'm saying as i dont think there is anyone out there at the moment which we could buy and say we've had value for money

There's also the possibility, of course, that somebody else snaps them up in the last few days of January leaving us with nothing once again.

Thats the chance you take, which is why some of the biggest deals dont happen until the end of the window. If Liverpool wanted Neill his advisors would know, and all he would have to do is spurn any other offers that come his way until the summer.

Players like Distin and Neill would command a hefty signing on fe even if a transfer fee was paid. Do you think that because we give Madrid 17 mil for Owen he dodnt have a cut?

I would rather wait for the summer to make long term purchases is all i'm saying as i dont think there is anyone out there at the moment which we could buy and say we've had value for money

Players will have a much bigger bargaining chip when they are actually free.

If you take a moment to assess our squad, and highlight the players we currently have good enough for a top 6 Premiership squad, the answer is yes.

Gk = Given, Harper.

Lb =          , Babayaro.

Cb = Taylor,            .

Cb =          ,          .

Rb = Solano,          .

Lw = N'Zogbia, Duff.

Cm = Butt, Parker.

Cm = Emre, Dyer.

Rw = Milner,          .

Cf = Owen, Martins.

Cf=            , Sibierski.

...There are plenty of gaps to fill and it's Roeder's job to do that as soon as possible. It's unrealistic to aim for it in a solitary transfer window, it's a process which will take the majority of his 2 year contract to complete, if he accomplishes it at all. In the meantime, the likes of Huntington, Ramage, Pattison, etc. can do job when called upon, but ofcourse we need major signings in this window.. it's now Glenn's decision to prioritise which. I disagree we would better off waiting until the Summer, as you've proved with your examples, that's only very specific to players whose contracts are up at the end of the season. The bulk of our targets are going to cost exactly the same now as they would do in June.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Again i agree, and this is where we will find ourselves in a strong position. We are probably the only team that these players could get the wages they want at, and also be guaranteed first team football

Again i agree, and this is where we will find ourselves in a strong position. We are probably the only team that these players could get the wages they want at, and also be guaranteed first team football

and the extra wages they could command over the long term plus the signing on fee would probably end up more than what we could get them on now.