Oba: Clueless and Naive?

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

I see John Tudor gives an opinion on Oba Martins in tonights Chronicle, where the crux is that he has lots of raw ability but hasn't a clue how to play team football. I think this is pretty much spot on. When Oba is provided with the ball to feet, he has shown he can be pretty lethal. However when it comes to making runs and moving off the ball, he still has a lot to learn. An example came in the last ten minutes of the Man Utd game. Newcastle broke up an attack with Dyer carrying the ball over half way and Martins and Sibierski running up slightly infornt. The problem was, Oba just ran straight behind his marker making the ball to him a non starter. There was no attempt to make any diagonal run or maybe to pull his marker away to free up space. Needless to say with no options available, Dyer lost possession.

I think Oba has a lot to learn about being the real deal at Newcastle. He has shown good potential but only top class coaching and tuition will take him to the next level. I just wonder whether he can learn that from Roeder, Terry Mac, Pearson and Clarkie.

He is the kind of physical footballers who rarley think  while playing

we need a bit of both,smart mentaly good players,and strong physical players,Souness brought i bunch of technecal players,while roeder likes a more physical style of play,and it shows clearly in their signings..

Guest BooBoo

He's didnt say clueless, did he?

I read that today, and all he said is he needs the right coaching.

Yeah, Tudor says "he can look clueless at times."

I love it when journeymen like him who were average mid-table players at best have a go at someone who's 22, played for Inter, and scored 9 goals in 22 since coming. It's like John Anderson with Babayaro.

Think John Anderson had more heart tbh.

Guest BooBoo

I love it when journeymen like him who were average mid-table players at best have a go at someone who's 22, played for Inter, and scored 9 goals in 22 since coming. It's like John Anderson with Babayaro.

I think a few fans of 1970s Newcastle would say John Tudor was better than average!

I think a few fans of 1970s Newcastle would say John Tudor was better than average!

Yeah, because at the time so were Newcastle.

I've got more heart than most of them, still a sh*t footballer though. Babayaro's done more in his career than Anderson in his little finger.

I've got more heart than most of them, still a sh*t footballer though. Babayaro's done more in his career than Anderson in his little finger.

Don't care what they've done elsewhere,for Newcastle,for a player with large international and European experience,Babayaro has been nothing short of disgusting,both in effort and technical ability.Anderson although a lesser player gave more blood sweat and tears to the club every week than Babayaro has given us in almost 2 years.

he looked naive whenhe first came but it seems he is getting stronger every game and is definitly more involved with link up play ,not afraid to try a snap shot but always looking to play someone else in.this hasn't paid off yet due to a mixture of his poor passing and when he's hit it right lack of speed or thought from our other players.

very happy with his progress,but hoping that it is progress not a good run.

I see John Tudor gives an opinion on Oba Martins in tonights Chronicle, where the crux is that he has lots of raw ability but hasn't a clue how to play team football. I think this is pretty much spot on. When Oba is provided with the ball to feet, he has shown he can be pretty lethal. However when it comes to making runs and moving off the ball, he still has a lot to learn. An example came in the last ten minutes of the Man Utd game. Newcastle broke up an attack with Dyer carrying the ball over half way and Martins and Sibierski running up slightly infornt. The problem was, Oba just ran straight behind his marker making the ball to him a non starter. There was no attempt to make any diagonal run or maybe to pull his marker away to free up space. Needless to say with no options available, Dyer lost possession.

I think Oba has a lot to learn about being the real deal at Newcastle. He has shown good potential but only top class coaching and tuition will take him to the next level. I just wonder whether he can learn that from Roeder, Terry Mac, Pearson and Clarkie.

The bit about not knowing where and when to make runs off the ball was highlighted on  MOTD a few weeks ago, he just needs to be shown/told how its done.

Having said that, I would have thought Inter would have been pretty shit-hot when it comes their coaching.

not sure about the criticism of his runs,a lot of fast players make poor runs but use their pace to make up for it.it's not only down to himbut the rest of the team have to learn to play with him,something they most certainly didn't do early on,continuing to play as if shearer was still there.added with he hasn't really had a partner yet.

Yeah, because at the time so were Newcastle.

15th in the league, for 3 consecutive seasons. FACT. 2 of which were when Tudor was MacDonalds partner. FACT.

Shame so many people think that qualifying for europe regularly for a decade is shit in comparison  :lol:

Guest thaitoon

like all young players lot to learn, unfortunately with his price tag people expect the finnished product, unless of course your a complete natural like rooney, owen who make it look esay.but there very few and far between.

tudor wasn"t an exceptional footballer, but between him and mcdonald they formed a great partnership, tudor took the load, mcdonald all the glory, thats the way it is.

anderson was an aversge footballer, whos main attribute was endeavor, just what the tyneside public like to see, unrotunately they dont see any of that in babyaroo, so there gonna give him a hard time, if he could only realise that with the right attitude and his obvious talent he could become a hero....the chances though are slim if non existent, bigger fool him