Burning DVDs

GM

Realise I will sound like a total noob/'tard here but need to know the answer so anyway...

If you want to burn a DVD of a programme that's about 90 minutes long, what sort of discs do you need so that you can send a copy of the programme to a mate on disc?

blueconfused.gif

Eh? Do you want to burn a DVD (for viewing on a bog-standard DVD player) or an XVID/similar (for viewing on a PC/fancy DVD player)?

In either case, how big is the file? Over 700mb and you'll need a DVD regardless.

Eh? Do you want to burn a DVD (for viewing on a bog-standard DVD player) or an XVID/similar (for viewing on a PC/fancy DVD player)?

In either case, how big is the file? Over 700mb and you'll need a DVD regardless.

For now, just want to burn a 733MB file to disc and a 614MB file to another disc - but not sure what sort of discs I need to buy.

Told you I'd sound a complete mong...no idea what you mean by XVID?

• 1 month later...
Guest makemeacupoftea

And are you wanting to send them to someone so they can watch on their telly via a bog-standard DVD player or on their PC?

To do that dave (watch on tv) what do i need to do?

It depends entirely on your processing power. It would probably speed up from that (providing you leave it running and do nothing else), but expect at least 3-4 hours.

Like the man says it depends upon your system, on mine it pretty much takes as long to convert a film using dvdsanta as it would to watch it. This is my spec:

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+, 1.84ghz, 1.00gb of ram.

If yours is better than that it'll take less time, if it's worse it'll take longer.

Alternatively, you could give SUPER a shot, I've installed it, but not really used it much yet, so I don't know if it's better than DVDSanta or not, but I think it might be a bit faster - not sure why I think that, but I do. You can get it from here:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

And are you wanting to send them to someone so they can watch on their telly via a bog-standard DVD player or on their PC?

The easiest way is to buy a DVD player that plays xvid files. That way you don't have to convert anything. If you just have a standard player, you need to convert with DVD Santa or SUPER.

Either what I said just above this or get DVDSanta, which is really simple to use, from here:

http://www.dvdsanta.com/

Apparently it'll cost you $30, I'm sure it used to be free. If you use the demo it'll put writing saying demo version on whatever you do with it, so don't waste your time doing that, either pay the money or acquire a version elsewhere. ;)