Boy hangs himself after watching Saddam

Guest Ridzuan

Guest Ridzuan
HOUSTON - Police and family members said a 10-year-old boy who died by hanging himself from a bunk bed was apparently mimicking the execution of former Iraqi leader        Saddam Hussein.

Sergio Pelico was found dead Sunday in his apartment bedroom in the Houston-area city of Webster, said Webster police Lt. Tom Claunch. Pelico's mother told police he had previously watched a news report on Saddam's death.

"It appears to be accidental," Claunch said. "Our gut reaction is that he was experimenting."

An autopsy of the fifth-grader's body was pending.

Julio Gustavo, Sergio's uncle, said the boy was a happy and curious child.

He said Sergio had watched TV news with another uncle on Saturday and asked the uncle about Saddam's death.

"His uncle told him it was because Saddam was real bad," Gustavo said. "He (Sergio) said, 'OK.' And that was it."

Sergio's mother, Sara Pelico DeLeon, was at work Sunday while Sergio and other children were under the care of an uncle, Gustavo said. One of the children found Sergio's body in his bedroom.

Police said the boy had tied a slipknot around his neck while on a bunk bed. Police investigators learned that Sergio had been upset about not getting a Christmas gift from his father, but they don't believe the boy intentionally killed himself.

Clinical psychologist Edward Bischof, of California, said children Sergio's age mimic risky behaviors they see on TV — such as wrestling or extreme sports — without realizing the dangers. He said TV appeared to be the stimulant in Sergio's case.

"I would think maybe this kid is trying something that he thinks fun to act out without having the emotional and psychological maturity to think the thing through before he acts on it," Bischof said.

Family members held a memorial for the boy Wednesday in the apartment complex activity center. Gustavo said the family is trying to put together enough money to send Sergio's body to Guatemala for burial.

"I don't think he thought it was real," Gustavo said of Saddam's hanging. "They showed them putting the noose around his neck and everything. Why show that on TV?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_on_re_us/accidental_hanging

Oh my,what a tragic news.They should rate such video as PG before showing it next time.

Why should the execution of anyone be shown on TV or in the newspapers or internet? Mereley shows the depth media excrement will go to for ratings/money.

Another 'Saddam suicide'

04/01/2007 14:19  - (SA) 

Kolkata, India - A 15-year-old girl from eastern India hanged herself in response to the execution of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, police and family members said on Thursday.

"She said they had hanged a patriot. We didn't take her seriously when she told us that she wanted to feel the pain Saddam did during the execution," the girl's father, Manmohan Karmakar, told AFP by phone from the town of Kharda.

He said his daughter, called Moon Moon, had become extremely depressed after watching Saddam's execution on television.

"She kept watching the scene over and again and didn't take food on Saturday and Sunday to protest the hanging," he said.

Police superintendent Pravin Kumar confirmed the suicide, saying the girl had strung herself up from a ceiling fan and was found dead early on Wednesday.

The communist-ruled state of West Bengal has condemned Saturday's execution of Saddam, with thousands of people taking to the streets.

Another 'Saddam suicide'

04/01/2007 14:19  - (SA) 

Kolkata, India - A 15-year-old girl from eastern India hanged herself in response to the execution of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, police and family members said on Thursday.

"She said they had hanged a patriot. We didn't take her seriously when she told us that she wanted to feel the pain Saddam did during the execution," the girl's father, Manmohan Karmakar, told AFP by phone from the town of Kharda.

He said his daughter, called Moon Moon, had become extremely depressed after watching Saddam's execution on television.

"She kept watching the scene over and again and didn't take food on Saturday and Sunday to protest the hanging," he said.

Police superintendent Pravin Kumar confirmed the suicide, saying the girl had strung herself up from a ceiling fan and was found dead early on Wednesday.

The communist-ruled state of West Bengal has condemned Saturday's execution of Saddam, with thousands of people taking to the streets.

Bye bye you stupid muppet.  :thup:

Guest thompers

Can this be renamed to, "Boy dead, he was an utter moron" please?

People have been banned for such disrespectful comments in the past.

What's your point, thompers?

I mean, really...what is your point?

Guest thompers

:lol:

Not sure how this is worse, but there you are.

Because a 10 year old kid is dead and you're insulting him? Do you honestly think that's not fucking sick?

Guest thompers

That you're fat. See, it's ok when you're an alive adult. But name-calling to a fucking dead kid is pathetic, imo.

Because a 10 year old kid is dead and you're insulting him? Do you honestly think that's not fucking sick?

Toonpack was banned for homophobic insults.

Guest thompers

Toonpack was banned for homophobic insults.

Ah so insult the benders and its a permo ban but insulting dead children is regular admin behaviour around here. Then again toonpack was probably banned because you didn't like him and therefore used that as an excuse.

Oh dear, not again.

Homophobia is against the rules. As is racism and other forms of bigotry.

If we banned people permanently because we simply didn't like them why would you be still here? ;)

That you're fat. See, it's ok when you're an alive adult. But name-calling to a fucking dead kid is pathetic, imo.

If this was anyone else, I'd be prepared to say you have a point, but as it's you, I think we all know you're at it for the sake of an argument.  All the better when it's with the Admin.

Anyway, the idea that I should be banned for passing a comment on someone that has nothing to do with the forum is extremely laughable.  The whole place would be gone if that was the case.  Now move along and find another thread to cause an argument in.

Point one: It's a tad sick to take the piss out of a kid who is dead. - Yes, it is. 

Point two: You think I should get banned for this. - Don't be so fucking stupid.

Guest thompers

Oh dear.

If we banned people permanently because we simply didn't like them why would you be still here? ;)

Probably because if you banned all the posters like me you'd be left with a board full of melanchronics saying "wow roeder is so special im just so sure he can turn it around" and "shame we lost to sheffied united but the next game we can win. come on the toon!!!" and other such borefest posts.

Guest thompers

If this was anyone else, I'd be prepared to say you have a point, but as it's you, I think we all know you're at it for the sake of an argument.  All the better when it's with the Admin.

Anyway, the idea that I should be banned for passing a comment on someone that has nothing to do with the forum is extremely laughable.  The whole place would be gone if that was the case.  Now move along and find another thread to cause an argument in.

Point one: It's a tad sick to take the piss out of a kid who is dead. - Yes, it is. 

Point two: You think I should get banned for this. - Don't be so fucking stupid.

BOOT THE HOMOPHOBES OFF THE BOARD SO WE CAN READ THE ADMIN POSTING INSULTS TO DEAD CHILDREN! It's just lovely to know what standards apply to what posters.

Oh dear.

Probably because if you banned all the posters like me you'd be left with a board full of melanchronics saying "wow roeder is so special im just so sure he can turn it around" and "shame we lost to sheffied united but the next game we can win. come on the toon!!!" and other such borefest posts.

Yes you are right, yes we would. :roll:

So you're saying that we allow people we don't like, and also ban people we don't like. Right.

Guest thompers

Oh dear.

Yes you are right, yes we would. So we allow people we don't like, amd ban people we don't like.

Correct. There's two seperate categories for the 'don't like' section

Oh dear.

He has a point.  :)

Guest thompers

Now you're just being silly. Oh, wait.

As was the 10 year old kid. But "utter moron"? At a dead bairn?

And then there's nothing more than a prickfest DEFENDING the said insult?

Christ.