Aaron Hughes

Guest elbee909

Guest elbee909

Saw this on Football365 and started to wonder...

O'Neill is keen to strengthen his back four and right-back Bardsley's arrival would allow former skipper Olof Mellberg to revert to his preferred role in the centre of defence.

But it could put a question mark over the future of Northern Ireland skipper Aaron Hughes, who has struggled to regain his place after recovering from injury.

Anyone see Aaron Hughes on for a possible return to us?

Saw this on Football365 and started to wonder...

O'Neill is keen to strengthen his back four and right-back Bardsley's arrival would allow former skipper Olof Mellberg to revert to his preferred role in the centre of defence.

But it could put a question mark over the future of Northern Ireland skipper Aaron Hughes, who has struggled to regain his place after recovering from injury.

Anyone see Aaron Hughes on for a possible return to us?

I fecking hope so, mate, I really do.

Aaron Hughes just burst onto the scene, was a decent footballer, fitted in anywhere, although he was never going to be a world beater, i always thought he'd be here for years doing a job and doing it well.

But he never got any better. From that moment he burst onto the scene, he was practically the same footballer as the one that left.

Now it sounds like he's just got worse.

Shame, canny lad, and always thought we were stupid to sell him, but maybe not so now.

Guest rosstoon

The job he done on Totti when we were in the champs league. One of the best players in the world and Hughes never let him touch the ball.

I would love hughes back here as cover for rb and cb.

He's not a world beater that's for sure, but he'd do a job, he has experience, shouldn't cost much and would perform immediately. We could do worse. Like another Boumsong at £8m, for example. It would allow us to spend more money on a striker and probably allow the club to bring in another defender too.

Guest eyeball_tickler

yep, just the kind of player we need. cheap, decent and fits in well.

He's a poor mans OB1 tbh.

i would have OB back on loan for 6 months.

He is Villa's version of Carr yet people want us to pay money for him! Does the fact that Brummie is desperate for him to leave not say anything? They arent exactly Manchester United or Chelsea now are they!

If we sign anyone I would like an improvement on what we already have, it would just be a waste of money bringing in another poor defender.

Guest the_serbian_mag

I'd like to see him back, but only if another, BETTER defender will be brought to club. I love him as a character, but don't know if he is the player we need :(

Guest elbee909

He is Villa's version of Carr yet people want us to pay money for him! Does the fact that Brummie is desperate for him to leave not say anything? They arent exactly Manchester United or Chelsea now are they!

If we sign anyone I would like an improvement on what we already have, it would just be a waste of money bringing in another poor defender.

I wouldn't want us to pay money for him, but as cover he'd do for me for a minimal fee.

Guest elbee909

Does it not worry anyone though that Brummie is desperate for him to get out, the same way as most of us are desperate for Carr to go?

Bit like Man City fans were happy for Sibierski to go?  Not that I think he's a world beater either but if it's a case of cheap bodies in to do a job, then I'd be fine with Hughes.  If he's succumbed to injury that much then he'll fail a medical.  Still worth a go.

I'm not saying he would be the answer to the right back slot.  Which Carr supposedly is for us and that's clearly not true, so the Carr comparison doesn't hold up.

Guest elbee909

My point was more 'can you see NUFC going for him' though - in a sentimental return to do a job kind of way, bit like Solano; not so much whether I'd want him here or not, which is by the by.

Does it not worry anyone though that Brummie is desperate for him to get out, the same way as most of us are desperate for Carr to go?

Bit like Man City fans were happy for Sibierski to go?  Not that I think he's a world beater either but if it's a case of cheap bodies in to do a job, then I'd be fine with Hughes.  If he's succumbed to injury that much then he'll fail a medical.  Still worth a go.

I'm not saying he would be the answer to the right back slot.  Which Carr supposedly is for us and that's clearly not true, so the Carr comparison doesn't hold up.

Well he seems as well thought of as Carr does for us.

I see your point with Sibierski but we have the young lads coming into defence who are doing a decent job so I don't think we need anyone to come in who can do an average job, we have plenty of that we just need a quality player who will much improve the defence.

I dont understand why so many people want him back, he was average for us at best.

Dont get me wrong i like hughes, he did a solid job wherever we put him. But was certainly no less error prone than Taylor or Ramage.

I was a little upset he left, but when he did leave the opinion was it wouldnt be too hard to get anyone better. Its only the fact that we didnt invest in Fullbacks properly that makes people think Hughes might be good if we got him back.

The same people would go off their nut if we signed the likes of Melchiot, some people myself included would be upset with Luke Young. Because neither are that much better than Carr.

If we are going to get sentimental and demand we sign a former player, could it at least be someone good.

Hughes' main failings ...

1. Every match, without fail, he will drop a clanger which WILL present a goalscoring chance to the opposition. I can't remember the last time this didn't happen.

2. He is at times lazy, I've lost count of how many times I've seen him need to just stick a leg out to clear, and he doesn't. looks suspiciously like he can not be bothered.

3. He stands off his man far, far too much, and when he does put the tackle in, he usually mistimes woefully.

4. When up against any decent player, he invariably gets pulled all over the place.

5. He has no pace.

6. He loses concentration far too frequently.

in his defence, he can cross a ball pretty well. He just never gets in a position to be able to do so.

It says a lot that MON prefers to play an out of position CB at RB, even when Hughes is fit.

I always thought Hughes was a decent athlete but an unreliable defender. Would rather stick with the academy boys. Hughes typifies the type of player i would have thought Roeder doesn't want, i.e. someone he signs now and then is stuck with for the newt 3 1/2 years.