Cartoon protesters guilty

Nobby

A leader of a demonstration in protest against cartoons of the prophet Mohammed published in Danish newspapers was yesterday convicted at the Old Bailey of soliciting murder and inciting racial hatred.

Umran Javed, 27, of Birmingham, was found guilty yesterday of soliciting murder and stirring up racial hatred during a demonstration outside the Danish embassy in Knightsbridge, west London, in February last year.

The protest had been called following publication of a number of cartoons in Denmark which portrayed Mohammed in various unflattering forms. The original protesters were later joined by between 200 and 300 others, who had marched from the Regent's Park mosque.

Police monitoring the demonstration took video footage of the protesters and Javed was arrested later after more than 100 complaints had been made by members of the public. The court was told that Javed had used a loud hailer to address around 40 other demonstrators.

"He appeared to be one of the leaders," prosecuting counsel David Perry QC told the jury. "He addressed the crowd in terms which encouraged killing and incited racial hatred ... He said Denmark would pay with blood."

He was also alleged to have shouted: "Bomb, bomb Denmark. Bomb, bomb USA." Mr Perry said the crowd responded to his calls with similar calls and chants.

Mr Perry told the jury that the case was not about the issues of freedom of assembly or freedom of speech. The words used were plainly criminal, he said.

Earlier, Javed told the jury: "I regret saying these things. I understand the implications they have, but they were just slogans, soundbites. I did not want to see Denmark and the USA being bombed."

There were angry scenes in the public gallery as the verdicts were announced and Javed was remanded in custody for sentencing in April.

The conviction was attacked last night by Muslim activists who said that a fair trial was not possible in the current climate in Britain. They said that the demonstrators had merely been expressing their anger and not literally calling for murder.

The cartoons were not published in the United Kingdom but have since appeared in publications in France and are available on the internet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoonprotests/story/0,,1983936,00.html

Excellent news.

One less nut preaching hate can only be a good thing.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

He'll just preach it inside or the other nutters will see him as a demi god for his sacrifice, either way, its a shit result.

I'm totally against this as in my mind it is just his freedom of speech.

What happens the next time Newcastle fans shout about the Liverpool slums, that is both insulting and inciteful just like this was so do we deserve to be proseuted?

I'm totally against this as in my mind it is just his freedom of speech.

What happens the next time Newcastle fans shout about the Liverpool slums, that is both insulting and inciteful just like this was so do we deserve to be proseuted?

Soliciting murder, inciting racial hatred is not freedom of speech, his weapon was words, but thats where the comparison ends.

he called for people to bomb denmark & usa... he didnt say they were nasty places.

I think he said "Bomb Bomb Denmark, Bomb Bomb USA" now I don't agree with that but to be sent to prison for it, PC gone mad.

You can be done for incenting a riot, or affray just by his actions alone because it wasn't a peaceful protest and he instigated it (if we are to believe) and was one of the leaders, which in itself carries a 5 year jail sentence, i know, i've had the charge levelled at me before.

Some of the banners were not on, i think some of those people want put on trial as well.

Although i do agree slightly that it maybe an over reaction (even more so that the trial will be effected by public opinion, but again, how do you expect the Country to react), but there reaction to some cartoons were just as bad, and have only themselves to blame when faced with legal action.

Guest BooBoo

12 minutes of the protests, this footage is certainly worse than I remember in the 20 second clips shown by the BBC.

Surprised? The BBC are absolutely terrified of upsetting Muslims.

12 minutes of the protests, this footage is certainly worse than I remember in the 20 second clips shown by the BBC.

See what i mean about the banners?

They want locking up as well.

Is that him in the white hat?

If so, 5 years.

To be fair, there is a lot of people standing round thinking fuk that daft cunt, am not going that far.

If so, 5 years.

To be fair, there is a lot of people standing round thinking fuk that daft cunt, am not going that far.

So they should tell him he's a wanker and leave the protest, it does not appear to be a remotely peaceful demonstration. By staying, they only appear to back the views of the extremists and give the impression that a larger proportion of the muslim community wants to kill civilians.

If so, 5 years.

So they should tell him he's a wanker and leave the protest, it does not appear to be a remotely peaceful demonstration. By staying, they only appear to back the views of the extremists and give the impression that a larger proportion of the muslim community wants to kill civilians.

Maybe, but most of them probably were thinking on the lines of him, just had the intelligence to keep their mouth shut while being caught on camera.

You cannot police thoughts, am sure we all have ones that people wouldn't approve of.

Guest BooBoo

kin hilarious ....we preech free speech and democracy.....heaven help anyone who dares use them.

[/quote

So you support the incitement to murder then?

kin hilarious ....we preech free speech and democracy.....heaven help anyone who dares use them.

[/quote

So you support the incitement to murder then?

i think if you preech free speech you should abide by it.