Hargreaves to Team Manchester

Nobby

MANCHESTER United are confident of completing the signing of Owen Hargreaves for £17million within a matter of days after upping their offer for the England midfielder.

Sir Alex Ferguson remained guarded w hen quizzed on Hargreaves yesterday, but it is understood United have been told by Bayern Munich that a deal can now be finalised to bring the 25-year-old to Old Trafford.

(Manchester) United are also closing in on the £5m capture of Southampton's 17-year-old defender Gareth Bale, beating off interest from rival clubs including Tottenham and Arsenal, with a view to loaning him out once a deal is secured.

But Hargreaves remains Fergie's big addition in the January transfer window and the deal is poised to go ahead, despite the midfielder suffering a set back in his recovery from a broken leg.

Hargreaves is expected to be offered a five-year deal by United on a wage of around £60,000 a week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=fergie-s--pound-17m-bid-lands-owen-&method=full&objectid=18404672&siteid=94762-name_page.html

Guest elbee909

If you could just change 'Owen' to 'Hargreaves' in the thread title, we don't need any of the cynical gutter press-style 'leaving out details to attract more readers' thing here now, do we? :)

Given the fact they have been chasing him for ages I would have thought it was quite obvious which "Owen" they were on about, that and the fact Michael is out for a few months yet.  tongue.gif

Better deal than Carrick thats for sure!

Just as bad if you ask me.. It's amazing how public opinion about Owen Hargreaves has swayed after the WC. Nobody wanted him in the squad than suddenly he's a world beater. Neither is correct in my opinion. Didn't Nicky Butt once have a blinder in a WC?

"United are also closing in on the £5m capture of Southampton's 17-year-old defender Gareth Bale, beating off interest from rival clubs including Tottenham and Arsenal, with a view to loaning him out once a deal is secured."

:@@@@

"United are also closing in on the £5m capture of Southampton's 17-year-old defender Gareth Bale, beating off interest from rival clubs including Tottenham and Arsenal, with a view to loaning him out once a deal is secured."

Heinze for the toon :thup:

Heinze for the toon :thup:

Doubt it if they are loaning him straight back out again.

You don't play as many games as he has for Bayern if you are a bit shit tbf.

He hasn't played that many matches for them in the last one and a half season tbf, partly due to injury but still I don't think he's ever been the first name on Bayern's teamsheet..

Well, Bayern remain defiant that Hargreaves is not for sale. News report from England and Germany are very contradicting to say the least.

They would be crazy to reject £17m for him.

Well, Bayern remain defiant that Hargreaves is not for sale. News report from England and Germany are very contradicting to say the least.

That's what most people in Germany (including the majority of Bayernfans) say as well. But Bayern don't particularly need the money (they have more than 100m Euro in their bank accounts). The reason why they rule out any transfers is rather symbolic IMHO. They want to show that they are not European lightweights who can be messed around with by other big clubs or their own players. Their director of football (Hoeneß) only recently said that they want to show that you have to honour your contract with Bayern if you just had agreed an extension.

That's what most people in Germany (including the majority of Bayernfans) say as well. But Bayern don't particularly need the money (they have more than 100m Euro in their bank accounts). The reason why they rule out any transfers is rather symbolic IMHO. They want to show that they are not European lightweights who can be messed around with by other big clubs or their own players. Their director of football (Hoeneß) only recently said that they want to show that you have to honour your contract with Bayern if you just had agreed an extension.

Fair enough, its a pride thing, but keeping a unhappy half injured player while being offered probably 50% more than whats he's worth fit and focused would be crazy in anyones eyes, even Chelsea.

I think they will sell, maybe Bayern need to soften the blow with Emre, or someone bigger coming in, then they can take victory on financial and the footballing side of things.

So, still not a done deal then... I'm hoping it'll happen though! I want to see the Greavster in the Premierleague!!

disagree, I think the more English players ((okay he is 'Canadian' ;) ) experiencing playing abroad the better, it makes them more rounded and better players IMO

Fair enough, its a pride thing, but keeping a unhappy half injured player while being offered probably 75% more than whats he's worth fit and focused would be crazy in anyones eyes, even Chelsea.

I think they will sell, maybe Bayern need to soften the blow with Emre, or someone bigger coming in, then they can take victory on financial and the footballing side of things.

I do agree (I've only slightly corrected the price for you...), but I am not sure if Bayern will really sell, especially not in the winter with the big games against Real Madrid looming.

Fair enough, its a pride thing, but keeping a unhappy half injured player while being offered probably 75% more than whats he's worth fit and focused would be crazy in anyones eyes, even Chelsea.

I do agree (I've only slightly corrected the price for you...), but I am not sure if Bayern will really sell, especially not in the winter with the big games against Real Madrid looming.

:lol:

The WC certainly does that to players.

Who have they been playing instead of him, and have they been doing a good job?

It really only effect NUFC if Bayern really want Emre, at £7-8m i hope they do, we could do with the money, and its always nice to actually make a profit on a player for once.