Comparison of Managers. Where does Glenn Roeder stand?

Delima

So, what EXACTLY can we expect from Glenn Roeder? He is not that young (51) anymore. What does his past track record tell us?

Premiership is a dog eat dog world. It is an elite club and rightly so. From the list below, the vast majority of the managers are about the same age as Roeder or younger. The vast majority of them have impressive CV, the vast majority of them have done well in premiership.

How does Roeder compare to them? Where does Reoder stand compared to other managers? What exactly does Roeder do that is better than other managers?

Roeder and pundits alike always point to his academy connection, but how much credit can be trully attributed to him? Wenger, O'Neill, Allardyce, Pardew, Mourinho, Moyes, Benitez, Pearce, Ferguson, Redknapp, Jol, Curbishley all have significantly better youth grooming record. (Southgate + Boothroyd too new to judge, Coppell Jewell Warnock I ain't know a lot about their record in this area).

Squad builder? Wenger, O'Neill, Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew, Moyes, Coleman, Pearce, Ferguson, Redknapp, Coppell, Jol, Boothroyd, Warnock and Curbishely have proven to be good squad builder under limited budget. Mourinho has shown that he can manage big. Benitez has done well in big money transfer. Southgate has shown he knows how to address his squad weakness, though it remains doubtful if he can get the max out of his players. What has Roeder done? Poor record in West Ham, poor record in Newcastle. Martins is a hit, Sibierski a so so player who scores the odd goal, Rossi a wasted talent, Bernard a failure, several positions not reinforced.

It seems like the only few advantages Roeder has are that, he is better than Graeme Souness :(, and his is not as inexperienced as Southgate or Pearce.

Stuart Pearce, an inexperienced, overactive showman manager, whom many expect him to succeed, and equally many expecting him to fail, has yet to get his club relegated. And in fact his team is sitting nicely above us now.

Gareth Southage, an absolute rookie manager, has manage to get his team to only 2 points behind us.

What, apart from the good boy image and his last year good run, has warrant him a place as Toon manager?

As pointed out by .com, his this year record with Newcastle is identical with the one Souness had (which led him to be sacked). Roeder has Martins, Taylor, Duff. Souness had Luque, Boumsong, Bramble.

Had Souness actually done better than Roeder in Newcastle? (Even with his expensive misfits) Roeder has injury crisis but Souness had one too.

How much patience can we afford to Roeder? How much longer can the "Honest Hardworking Illness Academy" image shelter Roeder from the fans' wrath?

I wish Roeder every luck, but does he deserve this job?

-------------

Arsene Wenger

Record speaks for himself. World class manager.

Martin O'Neill

Wycombe Wanderers - HIT

Leicester City - HIT

Celtic - HIT

Aston Villa

Mark Hughes

Wales - HIT

Blackburn - HIT

Sam Allardyce

Limerick - HIT

Blackpool - HIT

Notts County - HIT

Bolton - HIT

Alan Pardew

Reading - HIT

West Ham - Half HIT

Jose Mourinho

David Moyes

Preston North End - HIT

Everton - HIT

Chris Coleman

Fulham - HIT

Rafael Benitez

Real Valladolid - MISS

CA Osasuna

CF Extremadura - HIT

CD Tenerife - HIT

Valencia - HIT

Liverpool - HIT

Stuart Pearce

Manchester City - Ok

Alex Ferguson

Gareth Southgate

Rookie

Glenn Roeder

Gillingham - Ok

Watford - Ok

West Ham - Miss

Harry Redknapp

Bournemouth - HIT

West Ham - HIT

Portsmouth - HIT

Southampton - MISS

Steve Coppell

Crystal Palace - HIT

Man City - MISS

Brentford - HIT

Brighton & Hove Albion - MISS

Reading - HIT

Neil Warnock

No comment.

Martin Jol

ADO Den Haag - HIT

Scheveningen - HIT

Roda JC - HIT

RKC Waalwijk - HIT

Tottenham - Building a good team while making loads in transfer - HIT

Aidy Boothroyd

Guide Watford into Premiership in his first ever season as manager - HIT

Make Watford a fighting team that play well in every match (despite losing and drawing a lot) in Premiership - HIT

Alan Curbishley

Gradually guard Chalrton to Premiership - HIT

West Ham - ???

Paul Jewell

Bradford - HIT

Sheffield Wednesday - MISS

Wigan - HIT

You can't compare Roeder's job to Souness's. Roeder is in a muich more difficult situation.

Firstly Roeder has nowhere near the the quality that Souness had when he started. Roeder first job is to rebuild the squad which he is doing a very good job in doing at the moment, slowly but surely he is bringing in quality and in the long run that quality will show. What he has to do is keep building the team in other areas.

Second thing is Roeder has done as well as Souness did despite the fact that his first team has been crippled. We lose Given for almost 2 months and while Harper is good he is not on Given's level, crucially we lost both Martins and Sibierski for the Charlton and Sheffield United games, Dyer iddn't play the first half of the season, Duff and N'Zogbia have both had injury trouble and We have had to resort to playing academy players at the back, I mean if you said to me at the start of the season David Edgar would be playing on New years day against man U I'd have laughed at you.

My personal opinion is that Roeder is doing a good job and it wont be too long until we really start to move up the table.

My opinon, is that Roeder is a mediocre manager, he has a tough job no doubt but it is a job too big for him, his track record speaks for his mediocrity and I have seen little by the way/style we play that tells me he is the man for the job long term.  Just because he is better than Souness does not mean he is good enough.

But that's just my opinion.

I will say that Roeder is a Miss here

First of all,he had at least 15 million to rebulid the squad,he couldve signed decent good defender but decided to waste it on Duff and Martins,i like Oba and he will do nothing but good for our team,but we couldve got a cheaper strikers who can score more often for less the 10 million

Another thing is that when you are a manager of Newcastle United,finishing Mid-table (and thats where is seems were heading) is never good enough,you have the fans,you have good players,you have the money to back your team up,so its only your fault when you screw it

Glenn was never the manager for us,we couldve taken a better manager but no,Fat fred had to hire him on a permenet basis,and now i really can't see us going to europe next season,heck i am just hoping we just finish in the top half of the season

But,lets hope i am wrong..

Glenn Roeder

Gillingham - Ok

Watford - Ok

West Ham - Miss

West Ham fans have mixed views on his time there (see Knees Up Mother Brown article/forum). In his first season when the board backed him he finished 7th. In the 2nd season the board sold their best players (Defoe, Carrick etc) and didn't back him at all and you know the rest

First of all,he had at least 15 million to rebulid the squad,he couldve signed decent good defender but decided to waste it on Duff and Martins,i like Oba and he will do nothing but good for our team,but we couldve got a cheaper strikers who can score more often for less the 10 million

Very shortsighted. Sure we probobly could have bought a cheaper striker but I don't think we could have bought a cheaper striker that is proven in the CL, is only 22 and still has his best days in front of him. Oba is not the complete player right now but in a few years he will be. He may not fire us into Europe on his own now but when wehave built up the rest of the squad in a few years I'm sure we will be very thankful we have signed him.

As for Duff I have no doubts he will come good. Sure he has lacked form and been unlucky recently with injuries but when he does get back i'm sure he will give us a massive boost.

Also a bit harsh on roeder comparing him to souness. Souness' injury crisis was nowhere near as bad as this season's. Plus, Souness did spend hugely in the summer before his sacking, Glen had the leftovers, and the misfits to weed out and despite sometimes taking a ponderously long time in the market, seems to want to only buy players that will fit in. (reinds me of when bobby took over he had a season of skimping until he could reduce the wage bill - not saying Glen will be as good as Sir Bob btw). The spirit here is getting better and I'd like to see what he can do with a full squad.

IMO he's better than Souness simply due to his refusal to say we're knackered if so and so is injured, or the priceless - 'you don't win anything with 11 james milners'.

Not sure how good he'll be, but so far its worth waiting to find out imo.

Glenn Roeder

Gillingham - Ok

Watford - Ok

West Ham - Miss

West Ham fans have mixed views on his time there (see Knees Up Mother Brown article/forum). In his first season when the board backed him he finished 7th. In the 2nd season the board sold their best players (Defoe, Carrick etc) and didn't back him at all and you know the rest

Roeder already had the sack before both of those players were sold IIRC.

Glenn Roeder

Gillingham - Ok

Watford - Ok

West Ham - Miss

Roeder already had the sack before both of those players were sold IIRC.

fair enough maybe you're right, I dont remember. Even though they got relegated , it was the highest points total that a team has finished with (42 points)

Plus he didn't spend a penny in the start of  02/03 season (Hammers fans put the blame with Brown and the board)

This isnt the article I was referring to earlier (can't seem to find it now!) but here's a few views

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=11874

Very shortsighted. Sure we probobly could have bought a cheaper striker but I don't think we could have bought a cheaper striker that is proven in the CL, is only 22 and still has his best days in front of him. Oba is not the complete player right now but in a few years he will be. He may not fire us into Europe on his own now but when wehave built up the rest of the squad in a few years I'm sure we will be very thankful we have signed him.

As for Duff I have no doubts he will come good. Sure he has lacked form and been unlucky recently with injuries but when he does get back i'm sure he will give us a massive boost.

i know martins is a fantastic talent

but we needed defenders,we couldve spent those 10 million on buying one or two decent defenders,buying defender was our priorty and as much as i like Martins,i would've always had one or two defenders over him..

Duff was a good player,but lets face it he's been shite since day one here,but i am hoping he comes good

but overall,15 million on a striker and a winger,that left us  suffering because of our poor defenders,and now all the good solid defenders have moved,our only hope is that we can somehow snatch a good defender before the end of the january transfer window,and that looks unlikly tbh..

Last season when Roeder did well he had no pressure on him and played people in the positions in which they were comfortable, he hasn't done that this season, partly due to injuries, partly due to him and his blue eyed boys.  He has players who will get a game regardless of form, they are straight in the team when fit.

He bought Duff for a bargain but we didn't need him in the first place as we have plenty of cover on the left, at least plenty who would have played at least as well as Duff has done.

That £5 million could have been spent on areas of the team that needed the money spending on it more.  N'Zogbia has not been a anything like the player he was last season, my guess is that it's down to us buying a player like Duff and that's probably knocked the stuffing out of N'Zogbia because his confidence seems to have gone.

This could just be part of the learning process for him, I doubt it.  He comes across as a very moody/deep person, somebody who needs to feel wanted, a bit like Ginola and Robert, when they were confident, they were as good as anybody, when they seemed to be in a rut they were passengers during games.  I think Roeder has weakened our teams attacking ability by losing the Zog that ripped teams apart last season and didn't fear any midfielder or defender, he just ran at them and usually got in a shot or pass.

I’ve heard plenty of people saying Luque hasn’t got heart, that’s total bollocks, he’s got a lot in common with the flair French players we’ve had at the club, he needs to play with confidence but has never been able to do so.  Firstly he had a terrible injury then has never been given a run of games and for me that’s crap because we’ve invested £9.5 million and never given him a chance, we’re robbing ourselves because we’ll be at least £6 million down if we sell him, I think we’ll be lucky to get £3 million for him if we manage to off-load him and he’ll probably go on to become a good player again if given the chance.  The daft thing is that we’re playing untried kids when we’ve got him at the club, we’re not playing 1 or 2 kids, we’re playing far too many for far too long because of our injuries so the kids have nowhere to hide during a game and they’ll pay for it, they’ll lose all confidence if things go to badly for them, we could see that happening yesterday to Pattison who has done OK when coming into an experienced team.

Roeder has failed in the use of the last transfer window although not totally, I'll give him credit for Martins, without him we'd be totally knackered and I'll give him credit for Sibierski who has done much better than I expected but I don't think he's as good as some people think, for a free transfer he's done well.  Duff is a good player who hasn't performed and wasn't needed, Rossi coming here was a joke, so was Bernard and to a certain extent, so was Pav because we released Caig and then replaced him with an old man in football terms, keepers might not have to run around all day but they need reflexes which do slow with age.

Roeder had a hard job taking over from Souness, it was going to be hard for anybody but that's no excuse for what he does with transfer windows, he's been given money and done with it what he's wanted, as far as we know.

I gave Roeder credit for not using injuries as an excuse last week, within a week he’s tried it in a roundabout sort of way when commenting on other managers moaning about the injuries they have.

Roeder seems a nice person but he also appears to lack backbone and comes across to me as being very indecisive which is dangerous in a fast moving game, he appears to not know who to bring off the bench and when to do it.  He also tries to explain his reason for his indecision as him wanting to get things right all of the time, sorry Glenn, you need to act quickly in a game that’s played at the pace of the Premiership or it’ll pass you by and it does.  I don’t think Roeder is a natural manager so has to think things out for far too long, he can’t make decisions naturally and that is a massive problem for a manager in a 90 minute game that’s played at pace, games change within a blink of an eye.

He's better than Souness, nobody could really say that he isn't.  I would say that it's close between the two on ability, Roeder gets the nod for being a nicer person, somebody you could probably see as a friend, that could also be a part of his failings, sometimes you have to be a bastard to people who work for you so that you can get the best out of them, you dangle the carrot and then use the stick if the carrot fails to bring about the right response.  I think Roeder will do this with some players but not with others, he should treat them all the same.

Do you really think we need a forward that is proven in the CL? bluelaugh.gif Nobody can really complain about Martins, we'd still be in the bottom 3 without his goals.

What Duff might or might not do in the future isn't helping now and that's a problem for us because we need all of our players working on the pitch.  Boumsong may become a good player in the future, that doesn't get away from him being rubbish while here and it doesn't make Souness a better manager if he does become a better player.  I know using Boumsong is a poor example, it gets the point across. bluebiggrin.gif

Roeder is doing a decent job under very difficult circumstances. Loads of injuries as we all know, plus players being out of form almost from the start such as Duff, and a young player like Zog clearly showing the very, very common slump in their second season which happens to lots of young players. I even posted before the season began that I hoped people would not get on his back if he didn't do as well this time around. For the sake of good team balance we need either of these to be fit and playing well, unfortunately they haven't done it this season.

Don't know whether he's the right man in the long term though. My problem with Roeder seems to be his lack of ability to make the tough decisions, for example acknowleding that Parker is pretty much a waste of space in a 4-4-2.

but we needed defenders,we couldve spent those 10 million on buying one or two decent defenders,buying defender was our priorty and as much as i like Martins,i would've always had one or two defenders over him..

Duff was a good player,but lets face it he's been shite since day one here,but i am hoping he comes good

but overall,15 million on a striker and a winger,that left us  suffering because of our poor defenders,and now all the good solid defenders have moved,our only hope is that we can somehow snatch a good defender before the end of the january transfer window,and that looks unlikly tbh..

To me we didn't need defenders that urgently. We had Moore, Bramble, Ramage, Carr and Babayaro to see us through until January, unfortunatly all 5 have become casulties of our unbelievable injury crisis. Had those 5 not getting injured I think we would have been fine.

To me we didn't need defenders that urgently. We had Moore, Bramble, Ramage, Carr and Babayaro to see us through until January, unfortunatly all 5 have become casulties of our unbelievable injury crisis. Had those 5 not getting injured I think we would have been fine.

Baba and Carr are shit though. We are lucky Nobby fitted in so well at right back after not playing regulary in that position for a long time and we are knacked down the left even when Baba is fit.

chris coleman a hit at fulham?!?

Why not? Wikipedia

Players who joined Fulham after Coleman became permanent manager

Moritz Volz, Carlos Bocanegra, Franck Queudrue, Liam Rosenior, Michael Brown, Heiðar Helguson, Björn Runström, Vincenzo Montella, Jan Laštůvka, Tomasz Radzinski, Papa Bouba Diop, Collins John, Claus Jensen, Brian McBride, Jimmy Bullard, Antti Niemi, Tony Warner etc are all bought by Coleman with cheap or minimal transfer fee. While Admittedly there are some miss amongst (or outside) afforementioned names, and Coleman so far has failed to bring in a regular scoring mainstay striker, Fulham has finished 12, 13, 9 (05/06, 04/05, 03/04) in contrast to Charlton's 13, 11, 7. Coleman essentially have very similar record to Curbishely in this period, albeit a lot more inexperienced. And they both have spent very little.

Is it not a hit?

Coleman is only 37 (Curbishley is 50). I don't know how high Coleman can reach, but I certainly don't think he is any worse than the likes of Curbishley.

Coleman takes over

Chris Coleman took charge for five games at the end of the season, earning Fulham 10 points out of a possible 15 and preserving a place in the Premier League for the next season. Coleman was given the manager's job on a permanent basis in the summer of 2003 and kept the club well clear of relegation, guiding them to a club record ninth place finish. Coleman continued to defy the odds in 2004-05 and guided Fulham to a secure 13th place finish, which surprised many pundits[name a specific person/group] who predicted that Coleman's relative inexperience would cost Fulham their Premiership status. The 2005-06 season proved a tougher affair, but safety was once again mathematically assured with three games left of the season and a 1-0 win over Wigan Athletic. There were three relative high points in an inconsistent season: a 6-1 rout of West Bromwich Albion, a 1-0 win over rivals and champions Chelsea in the West London derby, and a 2-0 win over 2005 European champions Liverpool F.C. Fulham's home form was the best outside the top six, with 12 wins from 18 games, while their away form was the worst in the entire league with one win and four draws from 18 games. A game they were winning away, versus Sunderland, was abandoned after 21 minutes because of a persistent snowfall with the score at 0-1. However, on 29 April 2006, Fulham finally achieved its first away victory of the campaign with a 1-2 win over Manchester City F.C.. Despite the difficulties experienced throughout this season, Fulham achieved a 12th place finish - an improvement on the previous campaign.

From the beginning of the 2006-2007 Fulham will introduce electronic swipe cards, as used by other clubs such as Manchester City, in place of paper tickets for season ticket holders and other fans who have regularly bought tickets over the last few seasons. Away fans and less regular attendees to the Cottage will continue to use paper tickets.

Famous Fulham fans include Hugh Grant, Georgie Thompson, Keith Allen, Lily Allen, Pope John Paul II, David Hasselhoff, Kirsty Gallacher and Daniel Radcliffe.[citation needed] The members of the New York City punk rock band, The Rapture, are also fans of Fulham. [1]. Fulham are popular in the media for being somewhat of a 'joke' team, having been referenced in (to name but a few) The Italian Job, Two Ronnies and Citizen Smith.[citations needed] Due to Fulham's proximity to the BBC Headquarters at White City, Craven Cottage often doubles for other football stadia, having appeared in sketches such as Tony Hancock's Half Hour. Fulham has an extensive fanbase across the world, especially Australia, Canada, South Africa, Malaysia and the USA.[citation needed]

Fulham's only current fanzine is TOOFIF. As of 2 January 2007, they stand 12th in the Premiership - halfway between European qualification and relegation.

Shearer had retired, we were left with only Owen and Ameobi. Owen was injured and you're saying we needed defenders ahead of strikers. Incredible.