NOTW: Ljungberg to leave Arsenal

Wullie

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport1.shtml

ARSENAL have ruthlessly ended Freddie Ljungberg's Emirates career by telling him: "Find yourself another club — now!"

Ljungberg was told the bombshell news he could leave the club last week.

And an Arsenal insider confirmed: "Freddie never saw it coming.

"He's completely stunned.

"He has been frustrated by the amount of games he has played recently but his heart and soul has always been with Arsenal. He had no idea the club was planning to force him out. He can't believe he's been treated like this."

Now the Swede will even be offered to Premiership rivals Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool as Arsenal try to off-load him during the transfer window.

And Portsmouth, Newcastle, Everton, Tottenham, West Ham and Watford will also be on red-alert now the 29-year-old — one of Arsenal's highest-paid players on around £70,000 a week — is surplus to requirements.

It is not the first time that Arsenal have lost patience with one of their high-profile players. Just last season the Arsenal board called time on Sol Campbell after a series of dramas involving the £100,000-a-week star.

Now Ljungberg appears to be paying the penalty for a run of injuries that have restricted him to a total of 54 appearances and three goals in the last 18 months.The marauding midfielder originally signed for Arsenal in 1998 from Halmstads for just £3million and two years ago signed a new lucrative four year deal which made him one club's highest-paid players on around £70,000 a week.

That was the 29 year old's reward after he became one of boss Arsene Wenger's key players, helping the Gunners win two Premiership titles, three FA Cups and three Charity Shields.

He also played in last season's epic 2-1 Champions League Final defeat against Barcelona.

But long spells out injured have made his bumper pay packet-which is twice that of rising young star Cesc Fabregas-look even more expensive to the Gunners.

And now they have taken dramatic action.

Our source added: "Freddie will be very sad to leave Arsenal but he'd like to stay in the Premiership and feels he still has plenty to offer an ambitious club."

Would anyone take him?

I know he's pretty much always played on the wing for Arsenal, but why is that? He's not a dribbler or a crosser, strikes me as a player who'd fit better into central midfield, breaking into the box.

I'm sure Wenger knows best like, probably more to do with their style of play than anything, they don't exactly swing the crosses in.

Guest smoggeordie

Always been a fantastic player for me. How old is he now? I'd certainly take him on a free for a season or two.

Guest smoggeordie

If he is indeed 29, he'd be a fantastic signing on a free. If it's for a fee, forget it. We have bigger priorities.

Have always hated Ljungberg, so no. Overrated player with limited ability who hit a purple patch a few seasons ago - ignore that purple patch and hes like Bowyer, constantly missing or scuffing good chances. Does nowt except get the ball and pass it away, or play for a foul, although admittedly he has intelligent movement. I think Ljungberg is a very lucky man to have been playing for Arsenal, because its that movement that made him perfect for their system - anywhere else and hed just be an average player.

Hes too lightweight to be a central midfielder in the Premiership, the only positions he can play well are on both wings and to a lesser degree, behind the forwards. Might do a decent job here behind the fowards, but I think with Dyer and Emre we dont need that, and with Milner being able to play both wings, as well as Duff, we dont need him as a winger either - not that he ever was a true winger, again Arsenal's style of play helped him here.

Have always hated Ljungberg, so no. Overrated player with limited ability who hit a purple patch a few seasons ago - ignore that purple patch and hes like Bowyer, constantly missing or scuffing good chances. Does nowt except get the ball and pass it away, or play for a foul, although admittedly he has intelligent movement. I think Ljungberg is a very lucky man to have been playing for Arsenal, because its that movement that made him perfect for their system - anywhere else and hed just be an average player.

Hes too lightweight to be a central midfielder in the Premiership, the only positions he can play well are on both wings and to a lesser degree, behind the forwards. Might do a decent job here behind the fowards, but I think with Dyer and Emre we dont need that, and with Milner being able to play both wings, as well as Duff, we dont need him as a winger either - not that he ever was a true winger, again Arsenal's style of play helped him here.

Wenger is very good at getting rid of players before they become a burden.

Guest GeordieDirk

He says 'Spurs' to me, and I have no idea why. Even with the frosty reception he would undoubtedly get, I reckon he'll go there. Plus Jol loves midfielders for some reason.

On a free, Yes.

Good Cover for Duff (permanently injured and off form), N'Zogbia (off form), Dyer (frequently injured and not really effective on the wing) and Milner (not refined).

Cover for Milner?  Are you taking the piss?  He's miles better than Milner ffs

Absolutely spot on Parky lad. Thats what would put me off Lauren too.

Guest thompers

And Big Sol ;)

Been shite for a couple of years now. Hardly scores now Bergkamp isn't there, and he's lost that burst of pace that got him an extra yard in the box when he was at his most dangerous. Doesn't do much other than whinge these days. Got to wonder, if he can't be an effective attacking player in a team like that, what the fook is he going to be like in an ordinary one. Wouldn't go near him, even on a Bosman - He's finished.

And Big Sol ;)

Aye but how many seasons will Campbell play for now? one more at this level? and has Wenger missed him? Not a bit.

Campbell's responded well to Harrys man management but he won't have the legs to play on. Hence he's virtually finished.

There aren't many players who Wengers let go that have gone on to produce better form for more than one season.

Jeffers

Petit

Overmars

Silvinho

Pires (granted he's fucked)

Winterburn

Anelka

The list goes on and on. Hence the reason I wouldn't be too keen to take Ljungberg or Lauren.

Guest smoggeordie

And Big Sol ;)

Aye but how many seasons will Campbell play for now? one more at this level? and has Wenger missed him? Not a bit.

Campbell's responded well to Harrys man management but he won't have the legs to play on. Hence he's virtually finished.

There aren't many players who Wengers let go that have gone on to produce better form for more than one season.

Jeffers

Petit

Overmars

Silvinho

Pires (granted he's fucked)

Winterburn

Anelka

The list goes on and on. Hence the reason I wouldn't be too keen to take Ljungberg or Lauren.

Wrong.

Arsenal have been terrible at the back at times this season. However, Sol and Gallas would have been amazing together.