Nobby 1st choice right back

Guest Darth Toon

Guest Darth Toon

According to Roeder in today's Sunday Sun:

link

"Glenn Roeder is ready to make Nobby Solano his full-time, first-choice right-back.

Solano's form while dropping into the Newcastle back four in place of the injured Steve Carr has been a revelation.

And Roeder last night insisted he is certain to take up the option of extending the Peruvian's contract by at least another year beyond this summer.

"Nobby has been shown to be equally good as a right-back as he was as a right-midfielder," said Roeder, who has struck a right-back off his list of January transfer targets. "I didn't realise he had played there for Boca Juniors and Peru. His reading of the game is fantastic.

"Ultimately he doesn't want quick, young players against him but his positional play is so good they never get the chance to hurt him. It reminds me of Steve Perryman, who played at right-back for Spurs after being a midfielder, and kept going into his mid to late 30s.

"He had no pace whatsoever but his positional sense was so good he never got done. Nobby is exactly like that."

Solano's contract expires at the end of the season but contains a clause allowing United to extend it by another year.

And that is the minimum period that Roeder would like to retain his services.

"The thought of Nobby not being here next year has not crossed my mind," added the Newcastle boss, although he sees Solano's ultimate destiny lying a long way from Tyneside.

"Nobby has told me he has an ambition to manage Peru one day, and he has got the tactical knowledge and football brain to do that. He is an excellent talker - he will be able to convey - and he knows what every position should be doing."

Guest Ridzuan

I dont mind either but his age is catching up with him quickly and that could be a problem.But I think another 1 1/2 year should be not much of a problem for him.

Let's not get too carried away by this article, this:

"Nobby has been shown to be equally good as a right-back as he was as a right-midfielder," said Roeder, who has struck a right-back off his list of January transfer targets. "I didn't realise he had played there for Boca Juniors and Peru. His reading of the game is fantastic.

is very bad news and provides yet another hint that we are in fact skint and will therefore not be spending much this month. This could easily be seen as a smokescreen being put up to prepare us (the fans) for a transfer window where, yet again, we fail to strengthen our squad in the areas it vitally needs strengthening. Prepare yourselves for a trophy signing in an area we don't need (SWP on loan) and  a couple of no-name cheapos at the last minute. :(

is very bad news and provides yet another hint that we are in fact skint and will therefore not be spending much this month. This could easily be seen as a smokescreen being put up to prepare us (the fans) for a transfer window where, yet again, we fail to strengthen our squad in the areas it vitally needs strengthening. Prepare yourselves for a trophy signing in an area we don't need (SWP on loan) and  a couple of no-name cheapos at the last minute. :(

Or Glenn is prioritizing between what he needs and what he wants?

How does he not need a right back?

Well he needs one, but I would say we need a left back and a striker over a right back. Even though I hate player playing out of positions we have a few who can cover at right back due the majority of our defenders (read all but 2 if you include Bernard) being right footed.

Well he needs one, but I would say we need a left back and a striker over a right back. Even though I hate player playing out of positions we have a few who can cover at right back due the majority of our defenders (read all but 2 if you include Bernard) being right footed.

I agree with needing a left back more than a right back and although a goal-scoring forward would be nice, I wouldn't say it is a higher priority than getting someone in to put Carr out of his... I mean our, misery. It's pretty obvious that we've not got much money to spend, but there's still no reason why we couldn't get a couple of solid fullbacks in without breaking the bank. This is never going to happen though, due to our policy of only ever buying players everyone's heard of instead of bothering to scout out players who are actually good and value for money.

YESSSSSS

F*** OFF  you FAT TROL :thdn:

Excuse me, I've seen the word TROL being applied to Carr many times now, but I don't understand what it means. Since it's got only one L, it doesn't seem to mean "troll", which would be an apt description of the fat monster, and since it's always capitalised, I would guess it's an acronym. However, the only TROL acronym I've found with Google is Teachers Resources On Line, and that doesn't make much sense, since Carr isn't much of a resource.

So, what does TROL mean?

Guest Imperio

I've got no problem with that, he's shown hes more than capable, only problem would be fatigue or an injury, but someone like Ramage or Taylor could do an equally good job as cover for him.

A wise decision. The next wise decision would be to drive Carr up to every clubs door step until one of them takes him.

Put him in a basket and leave him on Sunderland's doorstep, ring the bell and then run.

The news everyone has been wanting to hear. Although he hasnt exactly said anything other than how well he has played at RB, the rest is just the usual journalist conjecture.

A new RB is needed but it can certainly wait until the summer.

Im happy with Nobby there, I think it will certainly push carr either out of the club or to up his game to the standard he can play at. Ramage and Taylor maybe even Hunty and Edgar could probably do a solid job there if needs must.

CB, LB and Strikers are our main priority for this window. Finding the right CB will be hard aswell so if it waits until the summer for us to get the right man then so be it, the youngsters need as much guidence from Roeder and Pearson as possible though.

Guest the_serbian_mag

I remember, when Sir Bobby brought Carr to the club, he was a very good right back.

When do you think that he became such a poor defender?

Guest Zenith

I remember, when Sir Bobby brought Carr to the club, he was a very good right back.

When do you think that he became such a poor defender?

He's always been shite. Definitley not one of Robson's better dealings, much rather see Ramage / Solano make that role their own.

Guest the_serbian_mag

Well, I admit I didn't watch him all that much, so can anyone tell me that he started to stink recently or....else?

Nobby is not a right back, but I like the way he roams all around defence, chasing everywhere, putting the tackless in and all. He can't outrun players like C.Ronaldo, but hey, he is so charming that ce can kick someone's legs and still look inocent claiming that he went for the ball :)

Stick with Nobby I say.

But I must say that I still don't believe that he will play at right back when Carr is fit, no matter what Roeder told the press recently... It would be strange having a right back on the bench(no matter how crap) and a player out of position playing instead...