Isaksson

James

Whats gone wrong with Isaksson's spell at Manchester City?

He was hailed as one of the best keepers in Europe when he signed, but having been injured before the start of the season, he has been unable to get past Weaver, who although has been in good form and is popular with the Manchester City fans, will never be a great keeper.

I seem to remember Isaksson playing when Weaver was injured and him having a very good game, before losing his place once more to Weaver. It puzzles me really.

Guest eyeball_tickler

the same thing happened with rob green at west ham. when he got over his injury he was kept out the team by roy carroll, who is terrible

Very strange situation. Here in Sweden people are having a hard time to see what Weaver has done to prove himself better than Isaksson. Isaksson came on against Man Utd and was absolutley terrific, but then lost his place to Weaver again. He'll probably leave if he isn't first choice-keeper at the end of the season. Rumours are suggesting that Arsenal might want to replace Lehmann with him.

Weaver is probably playing because he was out injured for so long... pity on him perhaps? Reward for his dedication?

Either way he is doing OK, but Isaksson I'm sure is the better keeper. But if Weaver is doing well enough then it wouldn't be totally fair to just drop him in favour of Isaksson just because Isaksson cost more and is more highly regarded and has a higher profile in the game.

As a Norwegian I wonder why Scott Carson is playing regularly for Charlton when he's only on loan from Liverpool. He can't be that much better than Thomas Myhre, since he has the worst stats in the Premiership this season (I remember he had a very good game against us).

Guest Imperio

I think it's a case of Isaksson being told to spend a season adjusting to life in England with a few cameo appearances, just to get him climatised.

As a Norwegian I wonder why Scott Carson is playing regularly for Charlton when he's only on loan from Liverpool. He can't be that much better than Thomas Myhre, since he has the worst stats in the Premiership this season (I remember he had a very good game against us).

Myhre is good.but Carson is much better,its not his fault that the rest of his team are shite..

I don't understand it myself. Weaver, while he looked top class (most of the time) in his younger days, has looked pretty ordinary to me since he has come back from 3 or 4 years of constant knee surgery. He is not making any mistakes but he is hardly saving anything other than simple shots (For example, I think most goalies would have kept out the Tom Huddlestone goal). Isaksson was injured at the start of the season but got a chance in the derby when Weaver took a knock and looked absolutely top drawer...I thought that would be the end of it and Isaksson would take over then - He certainly would have if it were up to me. But Weaver was straight back in for the next game - I think Pearce is just showing a bit of loyalty and sentimentality for now. We're not doing that badly so he probably sees no reason to change it - Probably just waiting for a mistake. Personally I think we should be fielding our best 11 to get as high up the table as possible and Isaksson is a much better keeper than Weaver. Give it time, he'll be our #1 by the end of the season I think.

Weaver having the the best form of his carrear this season keeping Isaksson out of the team, simple as that.

When Weaver has a blip and gets dropped he probably wont get back in.